Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 15th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Thanks Tony, I shot you a PM on the texas site earlier today. Happened on Rt.2222 heading up the hill eastbound before I got to the top around where starbuck is right before MoPac.
Sounds like you would have just finished coming down the big hill from 620. For those that don't know it's a hill about 3/4 mile long that drops a few hundred feet into a valley. Pretty steep and very fast. It's easy to top 100MPH in most any car coming down it. Now I wonder, did you really get it up to speed coming down that hill and would doing so raise pressure in the oil lines from the higher sustained RPMs? I'm curious as to the exact cause of the infamous oil line burst.
I might be downtown tomorrow and I always drop by and say hi to Matt when I have time. I don't know if I can handle seeing your truck in their lot though. I may have to enter through the front instead of the side like I normally do.
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2005, 04:24 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

What a devastating tragedy. It seems as if it should be quite repairable, new bulkhead and dash. If you need to replace the engine and the insurance company is flipping the bill, a Tdi would solve your future fears of oil cooler lines. Hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted on the entire process, including the insurance company stuff.
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:43 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

CVC-

Sorry to hear about your defender but I'm glad you are OK dude.

Tis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

WOW, that sucks! Glad your OK! I hope the insurance Co pays!
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:28 PM
johnlee
John Lee

Damn.
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:38 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Chris -

My condolenses. That is some real crap to deal with. Good luck with the insurance co. and glad your ok.
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
CVC,
DAMN, SO sorry to hear this. Glad your ok. Try to keep positive, I know it would be hard for me if this happened to my d-90. Maybe the insurance co. will pay out and you can put it back together even better than it was before the fire.

R
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I agree with Campbell on this one.... it's not a destructive fire, it's an accellerated modification program.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Sorry for the fire--sucks. But it might be cool--if you can get a payout and pick up the salvaged truck (I think you have first dibs), you could really do a great/inexpensive build up! This is an opportunity!
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

wow, sorry to hear and see what happened to you. Good time to mention that I still have my old truck for sale. Best of luck with the insurance bandits.

Martin
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:17 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Martian you vulture... LOL
Shoot me the details in PM or email if its your old sexy black one. Have no idea how this will play out but I guess I better start paying attention to whats out on the market if thats the direction it goes.

Chris, yes if comes to that I will definatly buy it back and go from there on what to do.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:23 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Sorry to hear Chris. That really sucks.

But hey, since I didn't know - Welcome to Texas!
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:51 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Damn.

Sorry Chris.

And to think I JUST switched my lines to teflon/SS on saturday.
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:08 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieD90
Sorry to hear Chris. That really sucks.

But hey, since I didn't know - Welcome to Texas!
haha, thanks Kevin. Great way your state welcomes newbies. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:46 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
haha, thanks Kevin. Great way your state welcomes newbies. LOL

I've been telling buddies in Austin I'd come out and hang out...err...go drinkin...for a year or so...

I'll try to actually make it happen and give you a proper welcome
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Chris that sucks.

I am suprised it happened to yours as I know Dan/frank are aware of the issue and would have alerted you to a leak.

My first advice is to pull every accessory that is not factory off, especially the top if it is ok (and my seatbelts ).

Also check the salvage buyout. They have been going for crazy money on ebay, might be worth it to buy out and resell.

I have a stock bumper I can ship you to swap on if you want. So ins does not go WTF.

Ron

Follow-up Post:

I forgot, now is the time for the TDI conversion . . .
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:26 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Cool Ron thanks. I will hit you up for that bumper if it comes to that. The Badger top made completely unscathed from my inspection of it where flames were hitting it. I think one of the saving graces was that the visor was in the up position and took all the flames directly because I saw flames inside hitting the top of the truck. I thought for sure the top was finished but as I said, when I looked at it later I was very suprised to find that it did not appear to have taken any damage and was still flexible and felt the same as the rest of the top. I have a slightly beat up stock top I can swap out if need be but that Badger top is coming off with me, truck or not with it as are the corbeau seats. I have a bunch of things other things on the list if i can get them that i know the insurance company wont account for.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieD90

I've been telling buddies in Austin I'd come out and hang out...err...go drinkin...for a year or so...

I'll try to actually make it happen and give you a proper welcome
haha.. cool, get yourself down here.

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 16th, 2005, 12:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Based on a cursory inspection I am thinking it will be borderline totaling it or not. Since salvage is high and the miles are high I am leaning toward yes total. One other thing working in favor of totalling it is the AC is toast, that is a big ticket. Also I bet the bulkhead will have to be replaced too.

If they want to make you fix it, ship it to ECR don't let one of the local monkeys get their hands on it. I know ECR used to to accident work, not sure if they still do. Repairing it back to stock will be a real challenge as I know the 94 harnesses are hard to get as well as everything else.

In case they total it, I would start making a list of comparable trucks. Make sure to use only yellow ones as they seem to command a premium. Given how tight the market is, I would expect to negotiate hard on it.

BTW KBB says 110k on a 94 suggested retail for 90210 (texas should be similar), was 25k wayne PA was 22k.

You can buy a NICE D-90 for that money. Especially if you get all the goodies off yours first.

Ron

PS I know it is sad, but sometimes these things are a blessing in disguise. I would consider taking the money and either repairing it or better yet swapping in the engine you always wanted or getting a better truck. In any event, happy to help anyway I can, just call.
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:02 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Chris, if you end up needing a bumper I have one as well.

If nothing else that'll give me a good excuse to make the trip.
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Rovers North was invaluable in both pricing my insurance claim, but also in Chammy's rebuild. They sourced an entire brand-new HVAC box from the UK, among other things. The dealers were worthless, couldn't be bothered -- especially in preparing the estimate.

Doug W.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
engine, fire