Yellowstone - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 6th, 2008, 01:00 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Yellowstone

I will be heading to Yellowstone in mid June, are there any must see while I am there? Looks like some serious ground to cover, so I thought I would see if anyone that has actually been there had some comments. It looks like there really are no 4X4 truck trails, but is there any place close to go on a back country "dirt" road drive? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2008, 10:05 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I passed through there last summer, camped one night southwest of Yellowstone Lake. Everyone says the northeast part of the park has the most wildlife. The old lodges are really cool.

No wheelin' as far as I can tell. I'm going back this year for the fishing ASAP.
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:07 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I have been to Yellowstone and it is absolutley beautiful. Haven't seen any 4x4 trails but saw plenty of wildlife.

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2008, 12:57 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
I will be heading to Yellowstone in mid June, are there any must see while I am there? Looks like some serious ground to cover, so I thought I would see if anyone that has actually been there had some comments. It looks like there really are no 4X4 truck trails, but is there any place close to go on a back country "dirt" road drive? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Take the back roads. Avoid the I-25 to I-80 then North Route. Spend some time in Teton NP and Jackson Hole area.

There are alot of Logging Roads and such North around Gardner MT and Island Park ID, where you can get off the pavement onto dirt, but not any tough trails.

Water will be high still in mid june so fishing will be sub par. Best to fish in Late Sept, early Oct.

Coming back, head south to Price Utah, cut accross San Rafel Swell (you may see 1 truck in 120 miles) and hop down to Moab. Wheel the crap out of your truck then head Back to TX
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:03 AM
1000kva
paul girard

I found this - might give you some good ideas.

Nestled beside the Snake River in the shadows of the Grand Tetons and just south of Yellowstone National Park, Jackson, Wyoming is a great starting point for off-road exploration. Old logging roads and backcountry byways provide ample opportunities to experience the area's rugged alpine scenery. One of the best routes is Reclamation Road—an unpaved, scenic byway that accesses both Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. From there it emerges just south of Yellowstone National Park and links up with U.S. 89/191/287 near Jackson. Travel the road in autumn when the grasslands, marshes, and pine forests are ablaze with color. For information contact Caribou-Targhee National Forest (Ashton, ID (208.524.7500).

Off-road driving is not allowed within the national parks themselves, but you'll find 2,000 miles of unpaved, logging roads in the Bridger-Teton National Forest, which encircles Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks. Rugged 35-mile Union Pass Road, off U.S. 26/287 out of Dubois, Wyoming, takes you to high, remote, forests dotted with alpine meadows and lakes. The route offers vistas of the rugged Wind River Range to the east and the distant Grand Tetons.

The side roads off Union Pass Road are also worth exploring. Try the 187-mile, day-trip loop to Union Pass Road from Jackson, or take a multi-day trip and camp at the excellent Green River Lakes campground Flagstaff and Spread Creek Roads— 45 miles north of Jackson off U.S. 287— lead to great spots for fishing, hunting, and mountain biking. Camping, with reservations, is allowed along both roads. Information, is available through the Buffalo District Ranger Office ( Moran, WY 307.543.2386).
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:11 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

I just remembered a trail out of Jackson Hole good fun Follow the Gros Ventre River (pronouncedGrow Vont) up stream. The trail winds up around Indian Head Peek, with great views of the Grand Tits and some good camping away from people.

Have fun

MH
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Even if you don't get to wheel. Go hang out in Jackson Hole....I spent a few days there and in the Teton park and immediately wanted to move there. That is just such a neat area.

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I can't wait to go, thanks for all the good ideas.
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCURoverD90
Even if you don't get to wheel. Go hang out in Jackson Hole....I spent a few days there and in the Teton park and immediately wanted to move there. That is just such a neat area.

Last summer when I passed through there I was listening to the local radio news.

They said the hospital at Jackson was building housing for their employee's because realestate is getting too expensive for them to live close to work.

The billionaires are forcing out the millionaires. It was crazy with people there when I passed through.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat