Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:02 AM
corrumpu
chris b
1995/RRC SWB

Registry
Years of 06-Present (range rover sport HSE) to stay away from

I have searched around the forum and discoweb about what years of the newer RRs to stay away from.

I am just interested in points to consider from those who have lived the nightmare or love of this model. There are some pretty clean low mileage ones around. 07/08/09.

Thanks!
--chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
There are very few changes, and they are all pretty good. I wouldn't favor one year over another. That being said, the newer the better.
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
This is not specifically realated to your question, but may give you something to consider.

I just talked to a guy that lives around the corner from me who had a 2013 RRS with less than 10,000 miles on it and a local Subaru dealer offered him $10,000 OVER book value to take it off his hands. That worked out to almost what he paid for it last year. Apparently, new Range Rovers (and Sports) are uber rare in China and there is HUGE demand over there. Dealer had a customer in China apparently.

Has anyone on here heard of Land Rover dealerships making buyers of new 2014 RRs sign an agreement stating that they won't export them? My guy also said that, but not sure how much of what I hear to believe.

I feel like we're living in some new bizarro-world where Range Rovers are actually worth more when you drive them off the lot, NOT half of MSRP immediately!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2014, 10:21 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
I don't know about being worth more after you drive them off the lot, but I do know that the Local Rover dealers complain that they have no inventory to sell to buyers who want the vehicles, because Tata has shifted exports mainly to China where they get 2-3 times more for the same vehicle than they do in the US..

There was also an article recently (can't find it at the moment) about the FEDs cracking down on people that are buying new luxury cars (BMW, MERCEDES, Etc) through a third party, and shipping them overseas for resale..

I've even seen craigslists adds asking for 'buyers' to go into dealerships and purchase cars with a cashiers check for these groups, in exchange for a 'commission'..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:49 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
I don't know about being worth more after you drive them off the lot, but I do know that the Local Rover dealers complain that they have no inventory to sell to buyers who want the vehicles, because Tata has shifted exports mainly to China where they get 2-3 times more for the same vehicle than they do in the US..

There was also an article recently (can't find it at the moment) about the FEDs cracking down on people that are buying new luxury cars (BMW, MERCEDES, Etc) through a third party, and shipping them overseas for resale..

I've even seen craigslists adds asking for 'buyers' to go into dealerships and purchase cars with a cashiers check for these groups, in exchange for a 'commission'..
Mercedes attempted to cracked down on this scenario years ago by denying warranty coverage to such export cars that were originally purchased in the states. BMW has a similar policy but offers a 2-yr loophole. But I guess the people purchasing these export cars could care less about who pays for the repairs.
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:53 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Inmho, there are no bad years for Sports, they are all pretty good.

JLRNA has begun to really crack down on the whole exporter thing. Dealers face very stiff penalties for knowingly selling to brokers, exporters. They also now expect the dealer to do a lot of due diligence when vetting their customers , and will hold them accountable. Thus, dealers are now making their customers sign an agreement to not export...or face severe penalties.

Both the new Sports and full size Range Rovers do bring well over msrp when run through the auctions, and on the private market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:57 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I have had an 06 and a 13. Both were great!

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:48 PM
scottsdaleaz
Jared
D

Other than the usual issues with used cars, be prepared to pay $$ to change out the air suspension at some point.
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleaz View Post
Other than the usual issues with used cars, be prepared to pay $$ to change out the air suspension at some point.
Or be prepared to spend about $150 in parts to rebuild the air suspension compressor.
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:09 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

My father bought an 08' new.. tipping 90k miles, aside from regular maintenance, he had to do a wheel bearing (he did both fronts just be safe..) it's been trouble free. They (parents) want another 2014 (in addition to..) but that new Porche Macan has caught their eye, can't blame them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
hse, range rover