Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 25th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Got mine installed today. Took less than 2 hours, with about 30 minutes of that trying to remove the brake cable from the tcase bracket. I've already tested it out and it works awesome!!! I was hoping to gain a little more ground clearance, but it looks to be about a 1" gain at best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-454894644.png
Views:	170
Size:	887.2 KB
ID:	39906   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3395782544.png
Views:	175
Size:	852.1 KB
ID:	39907  

Name:	image-1055470267.png
Views:	156
Size:	859.0 KB
ID:	39908  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2011, 12:37 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Wrong x-brake?

I received my X-brake yesterday, but the backing plate doesn't look the same as Jonathon's (see attached). In addition, the included instruction manual was for an LT-95. The bolt holes are too small, it won't fit over the output shaft coupler, and even if I remove the output shaft coupler (which I don't want to do because I just filled the transfer case with fluid after replacing the shaft seal), it doesn't appear as if the backing plate would fit flush against the transfer case.

WTF?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1353.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	39999  
Old June 30th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
I received my X-brake yesterday, but the backing plate doesn't look the same as Jonathon's (see attached). In addition, the included instruction manual was for an LT-95. The bolt holes are too small, it won't fit over the output shaft coupler, and even if I remove the output shaft coupler (which I don't want to do because I just filled the transfer case with fluid after replacing the shaft seal), it doesn't appear as if the backing plate would fit flush against the transfer case.

WTF?
Hmm, maybe you got grnrvr's kit. Contact Justin and he'll fix it. You should just need to swap the mounting plate with the new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:

WTF?
What trany do you have?
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:08 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Hmm, maybe you got grnrvr's kit. Contact Justin and he'll fix it. You should just need to swap the mounting plate with the new one.
Nope, got my LT95 version. Have to say, the caliper has a lot more beef than I was expecting. Looking forward to the install.
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:10 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Does anyone else have the problem with needing a different brake cable? Josh (crash303) got all the way into the install of his only to find he needs a new cable from a 200tdi.

My truck also will need a cable, but at least I didn't dive right in when it showed up.

Justin, you may want to make this real clear for people when they order, as nothing is a bummer like getting your new toy and not being able to put it on due to a mismatched bracket that you then need to find and order.
Old July 1st, 2011, 07:34 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
I would love to hear how well these new brakes perform - both in mall cruzer mode and packed up with mud and water.

Has anyone had a chance to mess about and park you truck on a hill or something to compare the grip of the disc vice the old drum?
Sterling, VA
Old July 1st, 2011, 07:57 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
I would love to hear how well these new brakes perform - both in mall cruzer mode and packed up with mud and water.

Has anyone had a chance to mess about and park you truck on a hill or something to compare the grip of the disc vice the old drum?
Considering my old drum brake was shot, the new disc brake doesn't need to do much to impress me. I have tested mine on my moderately sloped driveway and it holds great. I'll try to hit the mall this weekend to really test it out.

Semper Fi!
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivespddisco View Post
what trany do you have?
lt77.
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
lt77.
And an LT230? Can you shoot a pic of the rear output?

Semper Fi!
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:50 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Justin is sending me the correct plate. I need the truck this weekend, so back on with the old. Since I'll have to adjust the brake, at least I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison.

------ Follow up post added July 1st, 2011 08:57 AM ------

Quote:
And an LT230? Can you shoot a pic of the rear output?
Yes, an LT230. If not, I don't know what else it could be. It's not a Series gearbox. And the diagrams in the manuals seem to match up with it pretty well for things like the transmission brake, linkage, and shaft seals. Also, the backing plate I was sent is different than yours - the hold pattern is different.

I don't have a picture handy, but the rear output on mine looks pretty much like yours. Less mud, but more oil residue due to a couple of leaking seals (now hopefully fixed). And an electrical speedometer sending unit rather than a speedometer cable.
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:48 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Does anyone else have the problem with needing a different brake cable? Josh (crash303) got all the way into the install of his only to find he needs a new cable from a 200tdi.

My truck also will need a cable, but at least I didn't dive right in when it showed up.

Justin, you may want to make this real clear for people when they order, as nothing is a bummer like getting your new toy and not being able to put it on due to a mismatched bracket that you then need to find and order.
Hey navydevildoc - do you have a part number for a cable that will work? After sitting on the shelf for a few months, I did the same thing - was working on swapping seals in the LT230 then went to install the X-Eng setup last night and soon found out the NAS 90 cable does not work. Trevor at RovahFarm has a bunch on his page but not sure which one will work correctly.

Like you said, wish this was a little more clear or at least given a part number of a cable that will work.

------ Follow up post added September 28th, 2011 12:59 PM ------

I think I found which cable to use: NRC5089 for LHD (NRC50888 for RHD). RTFM again on my computer. Placed an order from Trevor as RovahFarm had the best price on it.
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Hey Don,

Here is the part number for the cable that I used. It wasn't a prefect fit on my 97, but it worked pretty good. It should only be $15 through Lucky8 (if I remember correctly).

NRC5088

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:07 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash303 View Post
Hey Don,

Here is the part number for the cable that I used. It wasn't a prefect fit on my 97, but it worked pretty good. It should only be $15 through Lucky8 (if I remember correctly).

NRC5088
Thanks Crash/Josh - I ordered one from Trevor at RovahFarm last week. Justin also rang me and said that is the part number and offered one for a great deal if I needed it too.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I just gutted my e-brake, to get rid of a horrible noise and was wondering how these have worked out for you guys?
and if anyone decided not to use it, i'll take it.
Thanks
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am still loving mine! No complaints and it holds 100x better than my stock one.

Semper Fi!
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Liking mine. That X-Eng setup ain't cheap but love how clean and straight forward the design is. Like Wolf said, it holds like a mofo too.
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Got one from Justin last week, Great grip, easy to install and got the vibrations out of the rear shaft.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Anyone did the conversion and does not know what to do with the left-over brake pad? . Mine got soaked in oil (yeah... rear output seal) and now my e-brake has a hard time holding the truck on a slope. I did "soak/dip" them in brake cleaner, but there is so much you can do about it.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Loic-
If nobody else has one, when group by #2 goes and I install mine you are welcome to the left over pad.
r-
Ray

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
brake