Old April 29th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Pics sent to Ren.

I attached the pic here in case anyone else wanted to see. I didn't know DAP carried Genuine shit now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	genuine_shit.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	38173  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2011, 05:07 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Okay.

Not to poop (pardon the pun) on the disk brake conversion, as it is a super cool upgrade over stock. But I eliminated it all together and put in a line lock. The lock was simple and cheap, and removing all the junk behind the t-case allowed for a flat bottom, and quicker throttle response (tdi, not much hp to spare). Just an fyi.
I don't want to take away from the X-Brake Group Buy but very curious about the line lock.

In all honesty I still have to finish my Toy rear axle and a bunch of other small projects so if it's pretty involved I won't have any time for it anyway. But when I hear "removing all the junk behind the t-case" and "quicker throttle response" my ears perk up.
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So much for trying to do some people a favor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
No disrespect meant at all. Very sorry. I will not answer any questions in this thread.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's not you Buck.

Semper Fi!
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
No disrespect meant at all. Very sorry. I will not answer any questions in this thread.
I disagree with that, it is out we should talk about the differences. Ill take the side of the Xbrake

The line lock is a cool thing too but Way different then the Xbrake. The Xbrake is a non hydraulic way to stop the truck. You can not use the line lock to help you when you are going down steep hills. And what would happen if you parked the truck for 2 weeks with just the line lock on? Would the pads rust to the rotor?

------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2011 05:34 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Since you have Jonathan representing Lucky8, from now on all my purchases will be directed towards DAP, and will campaign to get Steve Young back on board
I guess SY was right everyone that is with L8 is Riff Raf

Ps
Sounds like Dan has you covered
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Sorry - I wasn't trying to screw up the group buy. I think it's a great thing that you guys are working on and making available to people.

One thing tho - Buck's post might have brought to light a positive on the X-Brake with his mention on throttle response. It says on Lucky 8's, that X'Brake is 20lbs lighter than the stock drum. Is any of that weight rotational? If so, my limited knowledge thinks that's a good thing and wonder if the X-Brake owners have noticed some small performance gains. I know back when I had Audi's, dudes used to swap to lighter flywheels to get rid of rotational weight and add throttle response.

And looking at the X-Brake info on Lucky 8's and X-Eng site it looks like a really great piece. My drum brake works pretty well right now and I wasn't thinking of swapping but if you get it close to the $400 number like you mentioned, I would give it a more serious look.
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Sorry - I wasn't trying to screw up the group buy. I think it's a great thing that you guys are working on and making available to people.

One thing tho - Buck's post might have brought to light a positive on the X-Brake with his mention on throttle response. It says on Lucky 8's, that X'Brake is 20lbs lighter than the stock drum. Is any of that weight rotational? If so, my limited knowledge thinks that's a good thing and wonder if the X-Brake owners have noticed some small performance gains. I know back when I had Audi's, dudes used to swap to lighter flywheels to get rid of rotational weight and add throttle response.

And looking at the X-Brake info on Lucky 8's and X-Eng site it looks like a really great piece. My drum brake works pretty well right now and I wasn't thinking of swapping but if you get it close to the $400 number like you mentioned, I would give it a more serious look.
The stock parking brake drum alone is around 35lbs or more I'd say.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've done a few line locks on Jeeps I've built, and they are only as strong as your brakes (obviously). I considered a line lock on my Rover, but with rear drums I'll take an X-Brake. The X-Brake is also slightly smaller in diameter and has a small "skid plate." It doesn't hang that low.

Semper Fi!
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:16 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

No way the X-Brake is 20lb lighter than the drum brake. No way. The x-brake has a solid steel rotor. That rotor alone is at least 15-20lbs. The x-brake may be lighter, but it's not 20lbs lighter.

With the x-brake you've also got a heaver mass rotating. I'd imagine the x-brake rotating mass is heavier than the stock rotating mass with the drum brake.

I like the x-brake better than the drum, though. That's a lot more clamping power and a simpler design.

That's not to say the x-brake couldn't be improved upon. And as I said to Justin today, I can't figure out why these cost so much money.

The line-lock is not an emergency brake, though. An emergency brake should be manually operated, IMO. I can't understand why the new Range Rovers and LR3/4's use an electric motor to activate the emergency brake. Just seems dumb.

I would love to have a line-lock, too, though. But I would like to control both rear brakes individually. With a selectable locker such as the ARB, that would be tits to line-lock one rear wheel, lock down the e-brake, unlock the center diff, and pivot around turns or obstacles.

------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2011 06:17 PM ------

Quote:
I've done a few line locks on Jeeps I've built, and they are only as strong as your brakes (obviously). I considered a line lock on my Rover, but with rear drums I'll take an X-Brake. The X-Brake is also slightly smaller in diameter and has a small "skid plate." It doesn't hang that low.
You don't need a line-lock or an x-brake right now. You need to spend your money on disc brakes.
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I would love to have a line-lock, too, though. But I would like to control both rear brakes individually. With a selectable locker such as the ARB, that would be tits to line-lock one rear wheel, lock down the e-brake, unlock the center diff, and pivot around turns or obstacles.
Thats called a cutting brake, and they are tits. But VERY prone to problems. I said a tiny prayer every time I pulled mine.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
That rotor alone is at least 15-20lbs.
No way is it 15. I'm guessing 8 I'll find out on Monday.
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Am I allowed to correct the errors that people have posted, or should I start another thread?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

I'm interested.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old April 30th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sor far we have 8 takers:
Wolf
Hammertime
grnrvrs (LT95)
97-D90-736
dmarchand (?)
gravitysucks
surf110
crash303

I think if we can get two more the price will get pretty good.

Semper Fi!
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:25 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

I was planning on doing this anyway, so I'd go in on it.

Regarding the line lock, we've been using them for years on the drag cars and they are pretty simple and reliable. However, they are not designed to be used for any extended period of time. It's a solenoid device and shouldn't be left on. It would also be pretty easy to accidentally leave it engaged. Leave it for the off-road use.
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Sor far we have 8 takers:
Wolf
Hammertime
grnrvrs (LT95)
97-D90-736
dmarchand (?)
gravitysucks
surf110
crash303
Rugbier

I think if we can get two more the price will get pretty good.
Added myself as long as WE can help the group buy *LOL*
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That should put us at 10 now. Thanks Goose.

Semper Fi!
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
No worries.... Thank you

What is the benchmark to get the super discounted price?
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The biggest killer is shipping from the UK, so the more we get the cheaper they become. My goal is getting them to $400 or less shipped, but we'll know more on Monday.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
brake