Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 16th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Wtf - Tesla denied sales in North Carolina

http://www.geekosystem.com/nc-ban-tesla-motors/

NC wants to band sales of Tesla's this is bullshit!
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Car dealership is a dying business model.
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:25 AM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

That is crap! Not hard to believe that lobbiest did this. It will come to the fact that people will have to purchase it out of state and then transfer in as a used car. Where there is a will there will be a way. There are quite a few of them already in the Charlotte area I so guess being early adopters worked out this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2013, 12:39 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Dying model is so true. I hate going to the dealership. It always feels like a "pay up sucka" atmosphere. I thought it was just at Chevy but even the Range Rover
/Land Rover /Jaguar dealer is like it.

So a waste of time and money to keep another waste of time and money in business. WTF is right.
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

They are singling out Tesla, I mean starting price is 70k plus? That knocks out like 90% of the market, Tesla's are out sold like 5000 to one. Across the state(I made that up) but I'm sure it's close to that.
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Whats interesting about this is, if it passes, that the lawsuit is likely to be in Federal Court. NC risks blowing up the entire car sales business model with its protected local interests.

Good. I see no reason Companies not to be allowed to sell their product direct to the consumer.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
But we can carry guns in parks and schools.
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Whats interesting about this is, if it passes, that the lawsuit is likely to be in Federal Court. NC risks blowing up the entire car sales business model with its protected local interests.
Debates have been going on about this for months now. NC is not the first state to turn Tesla down with its direct to consumer car sales. There is WAY too much money in keeping the dealership sales model alive. NC is just going along with what all the other states have already done.

I wish them luck but its not going to happen. They are going to have to set up a dealership just like everyone else.
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
http://www.geekosystem.com/nc-ban-tesla-motors/

NC wants to protect the profits of dealers and corresponding campaign contributions this is bullshit!
there ... fixed it for you!

Focusing on Tesla is exactly what they want you too ... if this said Ford or GM it wouldn't have a hope of passing because people would see it for what it is.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:28 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't know about other states, but here in San Diego we have a "Tesla Store" that's at one of the nicer malls (UTC) and they have one display model there, and then a bank of computers to order one if you want, the same web site you can get to from home. There are 2 or 3 employees there to answer questions.

It makes me wonder if that qualifies as a "dealership".

In the end, why I am I not surprised that Car Salesmen and Politicians, 2 of the most despised groups of people in this country, are in cahoots? I am sure there are some lawyers in there too. Hat Trick!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

there ... fixed it for you!

Focusing on Tesla is exactly what they want you too ... if this said Ford or GM it wouldn't have a hope of passing because people would see it for what it is.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to say but I'm not that eloquent!
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:44 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
I don't know about other states, but here in San Diego we have a "Tesla Store" that's at one of the nicer malls (UTC) and they have one display model there, and then a bank of computers to order one if you want, the same web site you can get to from home. There are 2 or 3 employees there to answer questions.

It makes me wonder if that qualifies as a "dealership".

In the end, why I am I not surprised that Car Salesmen and Politicians, 2 of the most despised groups of people in this country, are in cahoots? I am sure there are some lawyers in there too. Hat Trick!
Northern VA recently opened something similar in the Tysons Corner mall, but they cannot SELL cars there. So it is a "gallery" used to educate consumers.

Here is the dimemma Telsa faces for VA. Info about a month old:

Some say the State of Virginia isn’t that friendly when it comes to electric cars. Given the fact that EVs have arrived a little late in the “Old Dominion”, that might be true but for obvious reasons we wouldn’t want to wager on that.

However, one particular electric car manufacturer just got a big “NO!” from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) after placing a bid for a dealership license. Since Fisker has other things to worry about, the specific company we’re talking about is Tesla, who, according to Automotive News, was denied by the DMV to open up its own dealership in Tysons Corner, Virginia.

“We welcome Tesla to Virginia, but they too must abide by the laws like all other manufacturers and Virginia new car and truck dealers," said Don Hall, president of the dealer association, who argued that giving Tesla license for a company-owned dealership would violate Virginia franchise law.

In short, the law states that an automaker can open a factory-owned store only if no independent dealer is available to operate the franchise “in a manner consistent with the public interest”.

Meanwhile, Tesla Motors is “still figuring out next steps” and whether to take Virginia DMV to Court, with the successful Boston case in mind. The company has 33 days to appeal the decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tesla-dealer-license-rejected-in-virginia-58466-7.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	72501  
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:31 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Being a Land Rover sales guide, I totally agree with the rules of sticking with dealerships and not moving to internet only sales. Most people I know like to test drive cars and have a hands-on experience before making a decision to purchase. If your sales guide is being too pushy, talk to his manager or go somewhere else.
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is one thing to not permit a company to sell direct when there are pre existing dealers in place. You don't want the manufacturer cutting out dealers who have invested money to sell the product. Pre existing laws mostly worked that way. Tesla is different. They don't have a dealer network so there is no one to compete with and squeeze out.

Anyway, Telsa should go to the mat on this one. Eventually it becomes an interstate commerce issue and has federal implications and I can't see a federal court permitting a state to ban imports of a federally approved vehicle.
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:45 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
Being a Land Rover sales guide, I totally agree with the rules of sticking with dealerships and not moving to internet only sales. Most people I know like to test drive cars and have a hands-on experience before making a decision to purchase. If your sales guide is being too pushy, talk to his manager or go somewhere else.
Well, 2 things here...

1) The Tesla Stores usually have one out in the Mall's parking lot/structure that you can test drive if you want. I haven't asked about it, but they may require you to register on the waiting list first (which means ponying up cash). The good news is that you can pull out of the build wait queue at any time with no penalty, up to the point that your car starts assembly.

2) Land Rover dealers are nothing like most dealerships. I just helped my cousin buy a Ford and the dealer tried THREE TIMES during the deal (after we agreed on a price) to change the numbers higher hoping we wouldn't notice on all of the densely printed paperwork... in addition we showed up with a check ready to go but still insisted they run a credit check and then started pushing their own financing. I finally had to walk over to the sales manager on the "throne dais thing" tell the guy that I was really trying to be reasonable but if they did one more shady thing we were walking. When I purchased my LR3 from Land Rover San Diego I didn't have any of those issues.

In the end, if Tesla wants to open a corporate operated "dealership" what is wrong with that?? How does that detract from the "consumer interest"? It sounds like all it does is inject a middleman for no reason, protecting a special interest.

What if Virginia said Amazon could no longer sell products to Virginia, and instead you must go to a brick and mortar store to "try out" the merchandise ahead of time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:46 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Anyway, Telsa should go to the mat on this one. Eventually it becomes an interstate commerce issue and has federal implications and I can't see a federal court permitting a state to ban imports of a federally approved vehicle.
Especially considering the federal government has $1bn invested in Tesla... no way are they going to permit states to hamper sales of the product they have a hand in.

Old May 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Emissions rules where the state has a legitimate interest.
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
But you forget that the Republik of Kalifornia does it all the time. We has special rules that need to adhered to or it cant be sold new here.

-Jeff
Strictly based on emissions. It's one thing to restrict sales based on the characteristics of the vehicle, it's another to perform a blanket ban on sales due to your sales model.

Old May 17th, 2013, 02:57 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Considering the law we are discussing is the "interstate commerce clause" I would think the method of sale is more important in this case.

Old May 17th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Especially considering the federal government has $1bn invested in Tesla... no way are they going to permit states to hamper sales of the product they have a hand in.
Not anymore. They will be able to make early repayment, unlike Fisker who couldnt keep up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat