Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 26th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yep, use a good diesel fuel conditioner, especially with questionable stations that may not quite be ensuring proper lubricity levels. Lubricity requirements in the USA are not as good as they should be and are not enforced as well as they should be on top of that. A lubricity additive for a modern diesel is a smart idea.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2014, 10:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie90 View Post
Yup. Another reason one of the TSBs for my '12 JSW 6MT had the dealer put 4 "diesel only" stickers and a diesel only yellow ring around the filler neck... Most HPFP failures I've heard of had to do with gasoline(or non ulsd) input.
I told them not to do that. I still have the stickers. They also had another TSB to replace the filler neck so it won't fit on gas pumps. Not sure how that works but I declined that one too. ------ Follow up post added September 26th, 2014 10:17 PM ------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yep, use a good diesel fuel conditioner, especially with questionable stations that may not quite be ensuring proper lubricity levels. Lubricity requirements in the USA are not as good as they should be and are not enforced as well as they should be on top of that. A lubricity additive for a modern diesel is a smart idea.
VW voids the warranty if you use them. I keep my tank from running low. I have 50k on my 2011 sportwagen so I still have lots of warranty left.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
VW voids the warranty if you use them.
No they don't and they can't. It is the exact same chemicals that the fuel supplier is putting in the fuel, just not enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2014, 12:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
No they don't and they can't. It is the exact same chemicals that the fuel supplier is putting in the fuel, just not enough.
Perhaps Internet myth, but they do test your fuel if you have an HPFP failure.

Do you have a recommendation for an additive?
Old September 27th, 2014, 09:47 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Its a 2011 with 75k on it. I get fuel from one of 3 places depending on how much non commuting driving i do. What's interesting is they cover everything but the in tank fuel filter. With out having the car here I think VW doesn't recommend Bio either.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 27th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Perhaps Internet myth, but they do test your fuel if you have an HPFP failure.

Do you have a recommendation for an additive?
They are probably testing for gasoline. That will kill your pump quickly. Unless your owner's manual states or warranty booklet states than an additive is prohibited they have no basis for a claim.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=392168&page=2

Stanadyne or Powerservice (grey bottle). On the topic of Rovers....I notice a performance difference with when I use Powerservice and when I don't in the 90.

The lubricity limits on fuel in the USA are known to be worse than what the manufacturers recommend. It is also been shown that the US does not enforce the limits well enough that you can be confident that your fuel is even within those standards. It is better in Canada. I guess the extra tax has some use..

Old September 27th, 2014, 08:10 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...d.php?t=308323

Like the others have said, usually caused by gas in the diesel tank. That can be from miss-fueling, or from the station having the wrong fuel in their tank.

I might be a worry-wort, but when I was going to sell my 02 Golf TDI or my 11 Golf TDI, I kept the ALH (the older TDI). They still have some issues, but a $6-7k repair bill for the fuel system is not one of them.
Old September 27th, 2014, 09:05 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Absolutely nothing constructive to add, but being a multiple VAG owner and lover, I talked my mom into replacing her commuter with a TDi Sportwagen in 2012 I think. I reasoned that since we all come online to forums only when things break down, the HPFP issues were very few and far between.

Not so. $7k repair right after warranty expired. It is obviously prevalent enough that when VW initially refused to cover it, I instructed my Dad to tell the service manager they tracked fuel purchases since new (only at "reputable/name brand fuel stations) and how many folks were online complaining of early failure. The repair was covered that day, but it took 6-7 weeks total in the shop.

Sad, as I love VW/TDIs/Wagens, but this is no internet myth or amplification. It may be poor quality ULSD in the US, but that is completely on the Euro manufacturers to work through and not on consumers. Needless to say, shes on her 5th Prius now.
Old September 27th, 2014, 09:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I have 57k miles to decide. Probably do nothing and then trade in on a new one. I really like it. Eeyore I call her since she is grey and nobody notices me (with my other cars that is impossible).
Old June 5th, 2015, 04:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Alright boys how are those Jetta TdI's holding up? I am doing some research and the Jetta Wagon has made it to the list.
Old June 5th, 2015, 04:27 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I bought a 2015 Jetta TDI with a manual transmission (not the sportwagen) and I'm pretty happy with it. I can easily get 50mpg or better if I drive the highway speed limit or a little under.

Of course I have no opinion on reliability of the fuel system, because it doesn't even have 5000 miles yet.

Based on some of the stories here and stuff on one of the TDI forums I have put power service in at every fill up. If I buy the huge bottle at Walmart it doesn't add much to the price of a fill up.

2015 does have a different engine and even the Jetta requires DEF now, in previous years only the bigger vehicles needed it. But I've heard it isn't exactly all that bad. Supposedly it allows for a slightly leaner burn which helps the DPF not need to regenerate as often.

I'm new to turbo diesels. Maybe someone can answer this question: is it normal to get better power and MPG if a lug the engine a little? For example if I'm trying to get onto the freeway and I push the engine close to redline it seems dog slow. But if I shift sooner and keep the revs closer to 2500 I can feel the turbo and I seem to go faster. Also if I shift when the arrow tells me to, which seems way too early and like the thing wants me to cruise at 1200 rpm, I seem to get really good MPG even in town, but it sounds like I'm abusing it and makes noises like a big diesel truck.
Old June 5th, 2015, 04:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Still no issues at 58k miles.

I would consider selling my 2011 sportwagen as I am not driving anywhere near as much as I used to. 6MT, protection package (mud flaps, floor mats, cargo mat). Grey over black. All service records from the dealer. VW warranty until 109k I think.

BTW the 2015 is now called the golf sportwagen in the US.
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Alright boys how are those Jetta TdI's holding up? I am doing some research and the Jetta Wagon has made it to the list.
Our 2010 jetta tdi rocks! 70kmiles, love it. 45-49mpg!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

My DD just crossed 200k and while it feels good, 30k a year at 18mpg is painful. When it dies its either a VW tdi or a Fusion hybrid/energi.
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Loving ours. Black on black with nav, sunroof, etc. we get 38+ mpg's on the highway. We usually spend more on tolls than on diesel.
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:25 PM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

When I started looking for my wife's Jetta Wagon I started reading of some of these issues so I found a 2003 TDi wagon instead of going with one of the newer Sportwagens. Love the looks of the new ones but too many stories of really expensive fuel system replacement. I found a really nice older wagon and paid almost what I would have for a Sportwagen but I can rebuild the whole motor in our car for the cost of the fuel system in a newer one. Good luck with the issue. I hope it all works out. They are great cars. We get just about 50mpg and it is fun and comfortable to drive. We also have a 99 TDi Beetle that is just going over 200,000.
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:32 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Still loving my '12 evilfij clone 6MT grey/black tdi jsw. 43 mpg in/around, 52 mpg on the long hwy trips. Bought it with 5 delivery miles still in the shrink wrap.
Old June 6th, 2015, 01:04 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I will say one thing, the stock low rolling resistance tires are unsafe in rain and I blew out two on pot holes. I run snows all year now. Not worth my life for a couple mpg.
Old June 6th, 2015, 08:32 AM
toad
Cutter
None

surprised how many TDI owners there are here but I guess I shouldn't be. I have a 2012 sport wagon with an automatic transmission and I've had two issue since new. At low speeds the transmission gets stuck switching between gears causing the car to lurch. I've read of other people having this issue online and the dealer was no help so now I just drive faster. The other issue is in cold-weather the very large sunroof creaks from body roll. The dealer pulled apart the interior to fix this once, But it never resolve the issue. My warranty is out I believe and this thread is worrying me. I like the car but have doubts about its reliability. Recently the motor has started stumbling on start intermittently. Going to take it to The dealer to see what's up.
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:57 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Close to 90k on my 2011 and other than the fuel system repair due to an asshole mixing gas into the diesel tank at the gas station. It's been good running. There is an odd engine fault where you end up getting better mpg due to the exhaust flap sticking open.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat