Wrecked my D-90... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 15th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Wrecked my D-90...

Ok, I didn't wreck it, someone else wrecked it for me. Driving home from work this evening a guy to my right in a van towing a trailer decided to make a left hand turn from the middle lane. The lane I was in is a left turn or go straight lane. His lane was straight only. I hit him just behind the drivers door and he took my brush bar down the entire side of his van then proceeded to drive his trailer up the side of my Defender. Everything would have been fine had he not attempted to flee the scene. When he did that he hooked me good and wasn't going anywhere with nearly 5,000 lbs of Defender with it's brakes locked attached to him. My son was in the passenger seat and got to watch the trailer climb the side of my truck from inches away. Needless to say he was rather freaked out by it. My wife was following me home and got to witness the accident. She was also rather freaked out. The damage was limited to a scratch on the brush bar until the trailer climbed into my side.

The other driver was ticketed for illegal left turn. His insurance looked sketchy but the cops didn't make much of it. I guess that's why I keep uninsured motorist insurance.

List of damage I've noted so far:
  • Rear quarter smooshed
  • Right wing destroyed
  • Brush Bar and bumper bent 45 degrees
  • heater and wiper pump dead
  • front and rear eyebrows ripped off
  • Roll cage seems tweaked to the drivers side
  • 3 tires hosed (right rear cut, fronts torn to shreds driving home on front misalignment)
  • all lights on that side broken
  • misc others

I've included a pic for your wincing pleasure. Remember: always carry a digital camera.

More pics of the scene and damage can be found at: this page

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defender-wreck1.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	523  
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2004, 12:16 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Ouch!
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I am sorry to see that. I hope that you can get everything worked out. keep the BB posted on your outcome.
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2004, 12:32 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

That sucks! glad to hear you guys got out of it unharmed.
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:40 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Nasty. Grrrr. Good on the insurance.
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:52 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

It's good to hear you and your family are ok, but damn, what an S.O.B. for trying to leave the scene!

DJ
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am glad you are all O.K. Some people see destruction, I see opportunity. First, find yourself a roverphile shop. Second, have them update all your parts. Lets take a look at the situation--you need a new roll cage--well, a custom one would be less expensive and stronger than stock. You really can't replace just a couple tires--you have to replace them all, of course with one size bigger MT/KM's (or whatever). Your springs got mushed, as did your shocks. Trust me, they did. I am not saying take advantage of the system--just that for the same price as factory parts, you can upgrade...
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I agree. There has got to be some block damage in there. Cracked block that should be replaced with a shiney new 300tdi. Match that new suspension

Glad to hear you all made it out safe and sound.
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I just want to get it fixed right. I've looked under the hood and things are out of whack. Everything attached to the passenger wing is pushed in. Power steering res, wiper fluid res, radiator overflow res, heater box, etc. The heater has a neat little hole where the corner of the trailer nailed it square. I very rarely used it here in Texas but a working one is a good thing. I've got wires with connectors dangling that go God-knows-where, maybe to some old lights the previous owner had. I've looked more closely at the rear and the spare mount looks bent and the light protector did its job to its own demise. You can see the shiny spot on the bumper where the trailer wheels drug around the back.

I'm gonna stop looking at it. I keep finding more things that are broken. Actually, the more things I find the better I guess. I know what it's supposed to look like when not messed up and can point out all the problems.

Tony
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:02 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Tony, first off, I'm sorry to see that too.

But I agree with Chris. I see a terrific chance to make the truck "new" in many ways. That is if it's something your interested in. Locate a shop that can strip down your truck after the insurance has assessed it. Hell, I would use this as an opportunity to do a frame over.... then re-power, etc.
But that's just me.

Make that thing reborn after such a terrible demise.

Seriously though. There are a few shops around the country that could do it. If you have nothing local to you, PM me and I can make a few suggestions.

Or turn it into a do-it-yourself if your inclined.

Screw the 300tdi. It sucks monkey ass.
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:38 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Screw the 300tdi. It sucks monkey ass.

Your Just Jelous
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Bummer man, nice looking 90. I hate it when bad things happen to good Defenders. Been allot of accidents lately on the board. I think I'll make sure the insurance is all payed up.
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Welp, seems no one in town wants to touch it. I've called around to a few places. Land Rover dealer pointed me at one shop but I'm dubious. I'll be taking it there this afternoon. Anyone know anybody anywhere in Texas that knows what they're doing? I'm willing to take it as far as Dallas or Houston if I need to. I'm in Austin.
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:41 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

I'm with Chris and Marchand, send it to ECR and have them go to town on it.
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Angry

Finally got a hold of his insurance company. His policy was less than 24 hours old. This is going to be fun. So new that his insurance company couldn't pull his policy up to start a claim. *sigh* My insurance company seemed to not like that news either.

I'm headed over to a friend's house tonite to plasma torch off the parts of the brush bar and bumper that stick out dangerously.

I'd love to send it to ECR but I don't think the insurance company will pony up that kind of cash and I sure don't have it to make up the difference.

If it does come to needing a full paint job to get colors to match does anyone have the paint code for G4 orange? I really love that color.
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:58 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
I'm with Chris and Marchand, send it to ECR and have them go to town on it.

No, www.BWOverland.com ....

Old April 15th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Shameless plug. You guys should do a D-90 source special.
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:22 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

What about North Texas Rovers in Dallas? I'm sure some of the guys here could give you an opinion on his work. Does a lot of LR work.
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally posted by loykd
What about North Texas Rovers in Dallas? I'm sure some of the guys here could give you an opinion on his work. Does a lot of LR work.
Their page has said 'Coming Soon' for months...

Found a shop in town that'll work on it. They are the shop that the local dealer seems to use. Took it by for an estimate after work.

$7,200

That's just for the damage he could see. He said they were sure to find more once they get the side off and look around. He said that could add as much as 10-20% to the estimate. That includes painting the entire right side, hood, and tail so everything matches. Hell, they're gonna be doing 3/4s of the truck might as well finish the job all the way round in G4 orange. I'll even help by stripping out the seats and interior to make it easier. to do the whole thing inside and out.

I'm glad I don't have to pay for it. Well, most of it.

Tony
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:16 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Tony,
I was in their shop and they have a good amount of work going on. You're right; it's a lame website.
Maybe some of the Dallas guys can comment on their work. (I thought that Mickey used them.) The owner's name is Allen, and came from another shop in Dallas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90