Wrecked my D-90... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 16th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Talked to Allen @ North Texas Rover today. Was a really nice guy. I talked with him for about 15 minutes. It was nice talking to a 'Rover Guy' and someone that knew what a Defender is instead of having repair shops refer to it as a J**p. He had some suggestions about what we could do to make the ol' D-90 into a better truck. He also talked me out of painting it a different color. Seemed to know his stuff and was making suggestions before I could even say them. It's a bit of a drive(3 hours) to Dallas but it might just be worth it. I can throw the D-90 on a trailer and haul it on up there. Now all I need to do is get the other guy's insurance off their ass and fork over some cash.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2004, 11:30 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Tony, That's good to hear. When I stopped by his shop, he had a bunch of Discos, RRs, and a few Defenders there, plus a couple of cool projects. Nice guys, even though Justin drives a Wrangler. haha. They look like they do lots of custom work. If I remember correctly, they're associated with Chris Hinkle and if you check his bio, you'll see his trucks. Doesn't sound like you're looking to make a rock crawling king, but at the least it shows that they know Defenders.

You'll have to keep us updated.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:11 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Ok, now what?

Ok, you've seen the damage to my Defender. I now have in my hot little hands a big fat check for just shy of $8000. Assuming I do most of the work myself. What should I do repair and upgrade wise. I already plan on replacing the passenger wing, if I can find one for a decent price. For the rear corner a friend who has a machine shop has offered to help weld in a new piece and then we'll cover it with diamond plate corner protectors. We'll also bend and reweld the stock brush bar, strip the vinyl and powdercoat it. Replacing the bumper is a must, though we should be able to fab one of those too. We'll also replace the eyebrows. All the above should be doable for around $1500 we figure.

What to do with the leftover $$$? The Defender is almost totally stock. I do need to save some money for paint. Other than that I'm wide open to suggestions. What would you do with close to $5000 to spend for toys for your Defender?

I figure if I don't spend it quick I'll need to put a new roof on the house or something and it'll never get done, as always seems to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:42 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Well this is an easy question! The first thing to do is forget fixing the rear quarter panel, cut it off! That will allow you to stretch the wheel base out to about 99 inches or so. Next throw away those toothpic rover axles and swap in a pair of 60s or similar. Local junk yeard should help you stay on budget. You should be able to fix the fronts problems on budget too. Then just throw on a custom winch plate and you are all set. If you watch the money really closely you could get most done for 5k. Then you can go have a REALLY good time.

Oh, I forgot, 37in - 40in tires too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Call George at RDS and ask what he has laying around. You can probably get a 110 chassis and a crewcab body for your 8 grand. Swap over the drivetrain, bulkhead, and other misc stuff, and you are running around in a sweet truck. Thats what I'd do...

Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Tony, what do you want to do with your 90? Dave's idea is good for going extreme, Jim's idea is good for a start from scratch, but how much work do you want to put in and what kind of driving will the 90 see the most of?
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hippert
Tony, what do you want to do with your 90? Dave's idea is good for going extreme, Jim's idea is good for a start from scratch, but how much work do you want to put in and what kind of driving will the 90 see the most of?
Well, it is a daily driver but it's also used for work every weekend selling ranchland here in the Texas Hill Country. What I guess I need is something that isn't too extreme but I do need decent offroad ability. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a winch and a full self-recovery setup because I can be pretty far from the road and out of cell phone/radio range so help can be a few mile hike away. More underbody protection as I've already bent a track rod out in the field.

My list so far:
  • underbody protection
  • upgraded brakes
  • OME suspension
  • new tires about same size as stock, maybe a bit bigger
  • surrey top
  • rock sliders?
  • tuffy boxes?

I do like the 110 conversion idea and wish I could make it work but I can't afford not having it around for months while I do the conversion. Maybe in a few years. What I'm most upset about right now is missing the rally up at Barnwell next week. I guess I could throw new tires on and go 'as-is' but I think I'll pass. I was going to do Moab in September but other things have come up killing that trip too.
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Tony, looks like you have your priorities straight. After fixing the damage I would definitely consider the upgrades you have listed. Rock sliders are a must around me, I would consider them under-body protection.

Get a Tuffy center console but get a couple of Troy's boxes for the back, they hold allot and look good to.

The tires and suspension is totally your preference, if you do allot of on road I think it would be best that you stick to 33s or less. If you put a winch up front and start adding boxes and gear out back then you may want to add HD springs to help compensate.

It's nice if you can pay for everything at once, but its also nice to take things one step at a time so you can get things the way you want without rushing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90