Wow, never realized how good we have it here.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 24th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wow, never realized how good we have it here....

Since I'm going to be changing vehicles, I've been bouncing around on a couple of Jeep forums. What a bunch of worthless little pits some of them are. I actually got a post edit and a warning because I used the words "On another forum" in a post I made.

All sorts of limitations on what you can and can't post, because you have to please the forum sponsors. Can't link to anything anywhere on the internet if it's not a forum sponsor.

Man, I just didn't realize how great this place was until I started wandering around other forums. A hearty THANKS to CvC for keeping this place the way it is.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Very true, I had a similar experience when i started to do research on classic Mercedes, not quite as bad. But my ?s weren't answered in 10 minutes like they are here, and the classifieds aren't anyway near as active.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Are you saying I can't make Horsey jokes on the Yugo forum I just joined?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

coming from some Jeep forums, i agree. I was getting sick of hearing "they already covered that on pirate"
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
coming from some Jeep forums, i agree. I was getting sick of hearing "they already covered that on pirate"
LOL yeah, that I can see.

But in this case it was bowing down to the sponsors, and if you start controlling content depending on who's throwing money at you.... then it just loses all credibility to me. So I asked them to cancel my account. When I logged in to check if they did it, all I get now is a message telling me I'm a loser and always will be.

Hysterical, and glad I moved away from there.

-Hans

------ Follow up post added June 24th, 2011 11:35 PM ------

Hoooooo boy, looks like that place has a hell of a reputation too....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=718223&page=1

Again, you guys and CvC rock!

-Hans

Old June 25th, 2011, 12:59 AM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

I've had a very different experience from what you describe. I recently joined a Jeep forum to find info on local Seattle trails and also to find someone willing to babysit us newbies (sadly I had no joy in finding anyone here that could help - don't get me wrong, I love this forum). These guys are awesome. No kicking, screaming or discriminating. I made it very clear that I belong to a LR forum, am totally green on the trails and need babysitting. The response was overwhelming to say the least. I got helpful links to local trails suitable for us, and also offers to look after us should we want to go...which we did. We were all so thrilled with how the run went that we are now planning another. These Jeep guise are AWESOME!!! "Jeep"ers, I just hope not to get kicked off this forum now!!!
I've attached some pics of the Jeep guys guiding us through some tricky (newbie) parts and also a of them guiding my 18 year old in his '65 Series IIa truck over a giant crevice

First pic is of Jeep guy helping Shawn over a large stump. 3rd pic is of Jeep guy taking one of my kids for a ride in his "Rescue Turtle", and the other is post and pre pics. The smoke seen behind the series truck is from a bbq and NOT little Alice!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	39900   Click image for larger version

Name:	052.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	39901  

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	39902   Click image for larger version

Name:	059.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	39903  

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	39904  
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, I think I may have mis-represente myself a bit. I've also found some great Jeep forums as well, my gripe is mostly with one in particular. Turns out they have a horrid reputation.

I'll probably bounce around here from time to time even after my Defender is gone though, just a great bit of mojo around here. Always has been.

-Hans

Old June 25th, 2011, 01:23 AM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Hans, i have no doubt that you experienced some "kick in the pants'' behavior for owning a LR and then posting on a Jeep, or otherwise, forum! Such immature souls. I can only vouch for the Washington State section on www.jeepforum.com Ha, my opening line for my first post was "PLEASE don't shoot me! I don't own a Jeep but have a Land Rover Defender 90. My son (18) has a Land Rover 1965 series IIA...." I guess on the internet, it's hit and miss. One forum can have many good guys and then a few bad apples that spoil it for everyone.
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:13 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thanks guys, and thank you to everyone that contributes to making the site such a good place!

Jeff, I havent spoken to Q in years. Not sure what happened to him after the gwagon sold.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I run a message board for vintage Willys Jeeps http://cj-3a.com/forum/YaBB.pl. I constantly get emails from parts companies wanting to sponsor the board and place ads on the main website. The website costs me nearly nothing thanks to free hosting by a D-90 member (cgalpin) and I have no desire to make money on it.

I also have a "zero asshole" policy and the board tends to police itself.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat