Wow, more exhaust woes. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wow, more exhaust woes.

I just can't win sometimes, I really just can't.

Truck needs a new exhaust, ok. Sucks, but oh well. But no exhaust shop that I can find will work on it.... none!

Most of the chain shops (Midas, Meinake, etc..) can't do it in stainless like I want.

The custom shops, race shops, etc... Most flat out say they refuse to work on Land Rovers because of the difficulties. The only one that did, their custom exhaust guy was recently arrested and is no longer available.

Anybody know if ECR has their exhaust kits available yet, and the price? Last I checked, the office staff were on a pseudo-vacation and they weren't taking any calls for a while.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think RN still has the ones made by NRP before they went TU
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Thought about that, but I've heard some complaints about the NRP's.

Biggest one, the pipes are stainless but the flanges are soft steel. I've seen more than a few mentions of the joints and welds rusting out. Being surrounded by ocean, Long Island has some nasty rust problems on cars, and I'd rather not take the chance.

I saw Atlantic British is doing a stainless front section now, which is an option to combine with the Borla back-half. But I'd rather see what others I have to select from before I make a decision.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2005, 01:13 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
That is realy odd. I have had no problems finding shops to do my exhaust. Maybe it is the stainless you want but I had my exhaust replaced from the manifolds back for $180. Midas said it would be between $600 and $800. I found a small local shop and have been very pleased. It aint stainless but for $180 I can afford to replace it every 7-8 years when it does go bad.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The funny thing is I never even get to the point of saying stainless. All I have to say is "catalytic converters" and they all run away like scared little hamsters.

Still a few more places to try, but it's a bit annoying to say the least.

-Hans

Old May 26th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hans Drive it up here to NH, I know a local shop that will do whatever you want. And they love working on my Rover so they won't have a problem with yours. I should see if they will do one in SS and see how much it would cost, then have them set it up on mine and start selling them on the forum. Only problem would be connecting the cats as they are welded.
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Are you sure you need to replace the cats and 'Y' pipe?
A cat back stainless system from a "custom" exhaust shop here near Boston was $300. Aluminized steel would have been about $100 bucks cheaper but I figured I'd get a few more years out of the stainless and it's much cheaper than the "bolt on" systems available.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Hans, email John at 4x4ag. He posts here too. They import Janspeed exhausts and headers for LRs. I'm sure he'll post when he sees this. I think some folks here are using the Janspeed exhausts... maybe they'll post up too. Just another option that you might want to consider.

Old May 26th, 2005, 02:52 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Hans,

I remember this stainless topic from a while back... Great idea but expensive, a gentleman on the board said that 'Double S' Exhausts were the shiznit... It may be worth a look, and maybe some other members have used or had experience with these units...

I searched the forum and found this link on it with some useful information, it's from almost a year ago, but who knows right ?...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ouble+exhausts

Good luck.

Nicholas

Old May 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Glenn, I saw your system the other day when I was at adrians picking up some goodies for my truck. Very cool. I was enquiring about the tdi setups too.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
That's great Randy! I'm glad you liked them. I have to go pick my exhaust from them too as my inspection is this month and my exhaust has a tear from the tip to the hanger. John also has the janspeed headers installed on his D1 and from what I hear they're great too.

Old May 26th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

At this point, I'll take whatever I can get that ISN'T from the factory. But the first shop I found willing to do it (A Meineke) wants $1500 for NON-stainless. For that price, I'll just order the various kits that places are stocking. I'll have to drop an e-mail about the Janspeed, I wonder if it's a full system or just a cat-back?

Eric: Yeah, definitely need to replace the cats. They've been gutted by a previous owner, and the truck isn't even close to passing emissions testing without them.

-Hans

Old May 26th, 2005, 07:25 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

I just watched a video testing a exhaust system, maybe they can make the same one thats on this car.
You gotta watch the whole thing gets pretty hot

http://www.angeltowns2.net//smele/video/f1engine.wmv

m
sorry for the off topic
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Heard back from ECR and 4x4ag. Both seem to have good systems available in the near future.

4x4ag should have them in stock in 5 weeks, $545 for the SS Cat-back, and $930 for the Janspeed Y-pipe.

ECR says about 3 weeks till available, price unknown at this time. Full and cat-backs will be made in 3" T-304 Stainless. Full systems will include metal matrix cats (which I REALLY want).

Decisions, Decisions. The price on the ECR will probably be the deciding factor.

-Hans

Old May 27th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
That's great Hans! Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
exhaust