Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You've got me. I don't speak Mexican.

-Jeff
Translation-"sorry dude". There is something way wrong with a guy from Virginia's mountains speaking / translating spanish for a Californicator

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2014, 12:20 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Horale buey.

/
/
/
/
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:00 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

As for the vin number. easy enough to get state vin number. called NCS here for CKDs. ( kits ,customs with MVR 31 in NC. you also have to do title bond MVR 92 H.. same in Fla I am told. as I am doing this on the mini mokes from China.. BUT last one was 33 pages in NC DMV forms.. a real mind field..as that EX LR dealer in Wilmington NC found out.. the hard way.. I can NOT see Berkshire having WNI or Manufacture status.. I have the later.. no need for WNI really.. later bc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2014, 01:15 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
piss off
Old March 1st, 2014, 01:42 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Did you make a phone call on Doc Aaron's behalf as well?

Edit…edit...

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old March 1st, 2014, 01:43 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

no. dont know Dr Aaron. and sure dont want to now..
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

Here are two even better..off ebay.. #261407273801 and #281278161683.. will make great coffeetables when SEIZED and CRUSHED..
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
and #281278161683.. will make great coffeetables when SEIZED and CRUSHED..
I don't think it's possible to crush an armored car.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:40 AM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

well.. if you spent $190 Large on it and CBP seized it.. dont think you would be over the moon about it??btw. this armored LR 110 is STILL in Nuevo Laredo MEXICO..
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:43 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Here are two even better..off ebay.. #261407273801 and #281278161683.. will make great coffeetables when SEIZED and CRUSHED..
LOL I sent this guy a message and told him to go suck an egg and stop scamming people as those trucks WILL NEVER MAKE IT to the USA. He said he had done it before, I think he just made a quick $40K off some unsuspecting idiot who will never see that truck or the money again
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:45 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

In the questions section on that Ebay listing they say they have the Ford Coyote 5.0 fitted in FL and that is why it is legal for import.

Has anyone ever seen this done in a LHD Defender?
We mocked it up here at the shop and the steering box occupies the same space as parts of the engine (as in like huge hassle stuff).
Places claim to be mating the Coyote 5.0 to the MT82 6 speed gearbox (as that same style gearbox is also in the Mustang) but the versions are very different and you can't swap one for another (meaning it isn't easily possible to put the 4x4 tail section on the Mustang MT82) and that was confirmed by us and Ashcroft.

So although anything can be done with enough effort and $$ it certainly is not an easy job dropping a Coyote 5.0 into a LHD Defender (like these places lead you to believe). The huge hurdles with the Coyote are one of the reasons we are going with Nick's LS3 set up.

Just curious if anyone has actually seen one done.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I wouldn't believe anything that ebay lister has to say. He's a con man and I have posted warning about that company here many times.

The problem with swapping in a US approved engine prior to import is that you have to install the entire system as approved by epa. IE all the evap stuff etc and have it working. On entry I would expect HUGE issues with Customs/EPA proving it is retro installed as approved. I had this conversation with Ron in EPA's import department last week about the TD5 engine. The gist of his comments were "expect problems @ the port proving it".

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
the 'replica' bit is a little disheartening. I mean do they have a VIN? can they be registered? sounds sketchy to me
In Virginia, and I am assuming other states, replica vehicles can obtain a state issued VIN number. He might have a problem if he is using a real VIN'd Rover chassis but if it is assembled from parts, and he can prove ownership, he can get a new VIN for it. Friend of mine built a Cobra kit and went to the DMV with receipts for all the parts and body and walked out with a title and assigned VIN.

This is from the VA DMV:
Quote:
If the vehicle is a replica built on a manufactured chassis or a chassis from another vehicle, a VIN usually will not have to be assigned by DMV because the Manufacturer's Certificate (or Statement) of Origin (MCO or MSO) will provide an acceptable VIN for the vehicle. A replica vehicle built on the chassis from another vehicle may use the VIN from the existing chassis, as long as the new vehicle is a replica of the vehicle from which the chassis came. However, DMV must assign a VIN to any replica vehicle that otherwise does not have one, or if the replica does not appear to be the vehicle from which the chassis came.
Any vehicle owner seeking an assignment of VIN from DMV must establish ownership of the vehicle by submitting all titles or other ownership documents for any parts acquired for use in constructing the vehicle. Each type of vehicle has certain components that must be accounted for with a bill of sale, title, certificate of origin and/or a notarized affidavit. These documents must show any identification numbers, sale price, and be properly assigned to the applicant.
Any vehicle, for which an application for a VIN has been made, will be subject to inspection by DMV ("VIN inspection"). In addition, all reconstructed, specially constructed, and replica vehicles must be inspected by DMV's Law Enforcement Services prior to titling, even if the vehicle has an existing, useable VIN.
DMV charges a fee for the inspection, verification, or identification of the serial number or VIN of any vehicle.
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:03 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I agree Doug, but I'm asking from the "mechanical" side of things. I just don't think that engine fits in a LHD Defender. ICON and others tease, but never show the end result. Guess I'm just curious how they jumped the hurdles we found way too costly to jump to make it a viable conversion.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike you are way past me. My world is primarily primarily what I can import for clients.

My work with engine swaps etc is primarily making components from other model Rovers work in Defenders that are already here, stuff you have done for a decade. I'll let you and Mark Staff and others pioneer the cool high hp Ford and GM swaps.

As far as Nene's trucks go, the 3.2 into a Puma was done by Bell Automotive in York, not Nene. I imagine the ford swap would likewise be engineered by someone else.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 7th, 2014, 12:06 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

It is Quite legal to import 2.5 TDI or 300 TDi as static freight via wallenius lines.. you just have to check box W. on the EPA form.. and NOT ship any other parts with it.. like rolling LR 110 shell.. there is local guy in hendersonville NC. been importing Japanese Skyline engines for 25 plus years. without ANY problems with CBP. but he has NOT been red flagged for Vin tampering either.. Note the problem with the LR 110 with ford 5.0 coyote engines in the weight of the LR 110s.. does Ford sell vehicle that weighs as much as the LR 110 in the USA?? The EPA says you can piggy back with weight is LESS than US certified Vehicle.. but think you still might have to do the 50,000 mile test to get in to good graces of EPA.. certainly NOT legal to install the 2.5 TDI or 300 TDI in NC.. must be 35 year or older vehicle. BUT in SC quite legal for any year. go figure??
Old March 7th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You've got me. I don't speak Mexican. -Jeff
Ask Pedro for free lessons
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:25 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

Yo hablo un poco de esponal..!!!!!!
Old March 9th, 2014, 08:28 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

new scammer on ebay.com today?? ebay@201048930525 claims that 300 TDI is LEGAL to import now. and this is P reg LR 110..( 1997) note the website www.jackwright.com also NOT working.. later bc
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:29 AM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

correction. seems this LR 110 .1997 for listed for the Canadian market NOT USA.. Had long chat with the owner.. legit Lic trader/dealer..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat