would you buy this ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 14th, 2006, 11:02 PM
1000kva
paul girard

would you buy this ?

Hi, looking for some advice. I found my D90 (I think) I found a guy who is the original owner of a 95 ST. It looks good in pictures and I have talked to the guy, it has had just about all of the underhood parts(fuel pump, water pump,radiator etc etc. replaced , new bushings new transmission/ clutch etc.recent break job with new rotors put on. Really the only thing left to replace is the engine itself. It was serviced every 3,000 at the dealership. Always garaged- no rust etc. I talked to the guy at the dealership service desk and he said with a brand new D90 being a 10, it is a 8.5 or a 9. I had it checked out by a shop in the city where it is located- the mechanic has his own D90 and knows what to look for. He said that both Diffs are leaking a little bit and the engine will need new seals soon( although the owner says he has never had to add oil to it between oil changes) the mechanic said it was a nice D90 and was a good deal. Now the kicker - it has 200,000 highway miles on it!!!! I can not get the owner to budge below $20,000. I plan on getting a look at all of the service records before I hand over the cash just to ensure that all the parts have been replaced but from all apperances it seems like it will be ok due to all the TLC the owner gave it. I figure the engine probably has another 50K on it and I will have to replace it, but the amount I would currently drive it that will take me years.

From looking around it seems like guys have gotten into alot of trouble buying low mileage D90's and have had alot of parts to replace. Am I delusional in thinking this is a god deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2006, 12:00 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I think you're insane paying $20K for a D90 with 200K miles on it. I dont care if it has been serviced after every gas fillup, thats just crazy especially with so many D90s for sale at $20K and under with half the miles.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:12 AM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Yes, you are delusional to think this is a good deal.

200k miles and he won't budge below $20k?!?!?!? You have only seen pictures? Have you seen any receipts? Carfax? You have not driven the vehicle? Done a compression check? Checked VIN's? Looked for rust, leaks or other such things yourself? Did he refer the mechanic? Do you have the opportunity to inspect and reject the vehicle before you turn over your hard earned dollars?

I would pass on this deal. There are better ones out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2006, 08:26 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

i paid about 20k for one with half the miles and it was in great shape(from what i can tell)
I don't think that motor has another 50k on it. Even a honda motor with 200k on it with perfect maintance records is still pusing EOL. of course the above statement does not apply to well maintained diesel motors.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:22 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I think you're insane paying $20K for a D90 with 200K miles on it. I dont care if it has been serviced after every gas fillup, thats just crazy especially with so many D90s for sale at $20K and under with half the miles.
ditto. I just sold mine for $21k, it had 126k miles and a boat load of off-road mods and preventative maintenance done. No rust.
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:22 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Wasn't there a guy, on this site selling a yellow 97, with 49,000 miles for $25K? I would guess that a 97 with 150K less miles, an auto trans and AA Yellow is worth 5K more.

Scott

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:22 AM
1000kva
paul girard

Ok, I am delusional but it is because I have 90 fever! Every time I think I might be able to get a 90 that looks good it is either on Copeleys for 60K or as soon as I find it gets sold. If anyone has any ideas or wants to sell me theirs before putting it up to the general masses that would be great. The problem I have is that I work 6 days a week and I have to work out financing - once find it. I don't have $30,000 sitting in the bank so it takes awhile to get all the papework lined up. I have been trolling Craigslist, Ebay, etc. etc.

Paul
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:30 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I dont think anyone wants to admit that they have a 10k defender.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:44 AM
1000kva
paul girard

ok, then PM me
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Luap,
I have a defender for sale for $15950.

call me if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp d90hardhalfcab.bmp (192.1 KB, 81 views)
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

cant believe the prices you guys have to pay for trucks out there!
you could buy a brand new one here for under some of the prices you are talking!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 16th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Rover- Girl

Nothing wrong with D90 fever, but remember that this will still be a mighty big investment !
This could play out either way, no mater what age or how many miles the vehicle has.
There are vehicle out there that are semi new with all kinds of problems...
Then you see those rednecks with trucks that are older than your grandma that still run strong.
But to pay that much for a vehicle that has over 200K on it and is over 10 years old is nonsense
if you ask me. IMHO
Good luck to you anyway
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:57 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000kva
I have been trolling Craigslist, Ebay, etc. etc.

Paul
Have you tried lrx.com? That's where I found my D90.

DJ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat