Would you buy a new Defender? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

View Poll Results: Would you buy a new Defender?
Regardless of platform 14 20.90%
Only if in the "traditional" platform, a real truck 41 61.19%
Only if based on the LR3/T5 platform 2 2.99%
Would not buy one 10 14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Michael Noe
'67 Series IIa
Would you buy a new Defender?

Okay, let's say the Defender is coming back in some form. What would you do, as most of you are Defender owners?

(I didn't search, I hope someone hasn't already done this) :D

Old May 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I would but would keep the old too.

Old May 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM
1967 Series IIA
If you're asking whether I would run out and buy the very first model of the new Defenders just because they're been re-introduced to the NADA market, the answer is definitely no. I already have enough vehicles.

If you're asking whether, given the right opportunity and situation (like my current rig is in need of replacement and I happen upon the right deal), then there's a possibility of my buying one of the new Defenders.

To me one of the big selling points of the Land Rovers (Series / Defender) is the interchangeability of parts. I drive a 1967 Series IIA with a few Defender parts bolted on. Should the new Defenders follow this schema, then I have more choices for bolt-on upgrades / modifications.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Michael Noe
'67 Series IIa
I drive a 1967 Series IIA with a few Defender parts bolted on.
hehe, so do I.

Yeah, I like your point and that is a very attractive thing about the older trucks. Especially driveline similarities between the Disco 1 and RRC, just as an example.
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
Nah. I've got one already, and I enjoy it. If I buy another new 4x4 it's either going to be back to an Early Bronco or to something I haven't had before.... maybe and FJ-40 or the new 4 door Wrangler. But I am going to keep my current Defender as well.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:16 PM
QQ Rover
1962 Series IIa 88"
If I could buy a new, 2006 Defender, in a friggin heartbeat.

The first time I went to England was in the spring of 2002. I walked into a dealership and saw a brand new D90 Tomb Raider sitting on the floor. The drive off price (including the ridiculous VAT (tax) of 17.5%) was £19,000 or thereabouts.

At the time, the exchange rate was far better than it is now, approximately $1.41 per pound. That said, that D90 would have cost me about $26,800!

And, if you remove the queen's cut, the D90 TR would have cost £15,700 which was then about $22,100! So, add on NJ tax of 6% and theoretically, I could have purchased a brand new D90 Td5 Tomb Raider edition for $23,450.

Nowadays, the numbers would be closer to $40K. Not too long ago, a ran these numbers:

A new 2005 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon can be had for under £24,000 (even with the shitty dollar to pound exchange rate that is under $43,000). Now, the XS is the top of the line, ultra-swanky Defender. It has leather heated seats, heated windscreens front and rear, CD player, alloys, ABS and ETC, seating for 9, etc. If the 110 is a bit big for one's taste, you can get a 90 XS for under $40,000!

That said, well spec'd County wagons can be had for about $37K for the 110 and under $34K for a 90.

If I could score a brand new D90 TD5 (with ABS, ETC and CDL no less) for under $36,000, it'd get rid of the Disco without hesitation.

Now, I realize fully that I am simply howling at the moon in vein. No new Defenders here. Moreover, I suffer from Defender envy. After all, a photo of a D90 is what got me hooked on Rovers in the first place.

Donít get me wrong, I do love my Disco and am a proud Rover owner. However, had I been able to buy a 110 (or 90) for those prices, which happen to sandwich what I paid for my Disco, it would have been a no-brainer. Hell, even with the beating Iíd take on my G4, if I had the chance today to score a new Defender at those prices itíd still be a no-brainer.

Anyway, thatís my howl. And you know, misery loves company.

1962 Series IIa 88"
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA
I'm with Aaron, buy a new one and keep my '94 ST.

Sadly, though, the days of the interchangeable parts are all but over. Though I've read the Defender will stay as is (beam axles, coils) until at least 2010, chances are good, very good, that it'll be a Disco 3 with a newer, redisigned Defender body. That's all the Range Rover Sport is, isn't it?

I wonder what wheelbases will be offered, hmmm...

Don't do it, Land Rover, do not destroy an icon for the sake of modernization.

Old May 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi
Happy with my 1998 110 ...

But curious about what they are going to come up with ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baie james feb-mar 2006 102 (2) last 640.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	5681  
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:40 PM
'95 D90 SW#106
Yeah, not too excited about a "modernized" Defender with cookie cutter frame. LR nowadays is looking for cost effeiciency, rather than "efficient" . In the old days, the beauty and genius of the Land Rover was the fact that it was a field servicable vehicle and a tool for rough terrain adventures. If LR destroys the actual tool, then the icon becomes a historical memory only good for promoting the brand.

Speaking for myself, and a Land Rover driver for over 30 years, the simplicity, field servicability, and beauty of modular construction, is key to an expedition type vehicle. No computer chips, no air bags, no special tooling etc..LR forgets there is real beauty in "one purpose" funtionality. Thats what makes legends...the Land Rover.

If I could fantasize , the new Land Rover would be based on a barebone modular design D90, without top (s) with a base price. Clients would add on features to their liking ie: Hard top, soft top, HD wheels, suspension, air, heat, bags, luxury seats, 6 cyl, V8, diesel, turbo diesel, painted chassi, galvanized chassi, accessories, etc..

But thats only a dream. Maybe the REAL Land Rover will become available in kit form, much like past icons such as the Ford Cobra?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
'94 D90 ST
Actually unless they keep the current form of body on frame (or chassis) with solid (or beam) axles, then whatever they come up should NOT get the name 'Defender'. Let the legend live on as-is unbastardized.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

new defender