Would I be crazy to go from this to that? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 15th, 2011, 04:27 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Would I be crazy to go from this to that?

So I bought my 90 a year and a half or so ago after a ton of looking - found a great guy in AZ and a clean car - and have loved the car - fast forward to last weekend in Anza Borrego and with the wife 2 kids (4, and 6) asleep in the back seat and I realize the days as a family comfortable camping in the 90 are numbered, we have a sankey trailer to haul camping stuff but did not bring the 90# lab!

So after looking a little I found this 83 diesel 110 RHD - Im no expert but wonder what the value of this should be and what others would do

any help or thoughts would be great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	36955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 15, 1 21 23 PM.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	36956  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

I'm in the same boat (kids 6 &8) and have nearly decided that the 110 would be far more practical. I think I saw that '83 you've got a picture of on ebay (and they have a nice website set up too), and it looks clean, but clearly has seen more lifetimes than a NAS 90. It used to be blue, and you can see that in the engine compartment and the rear door in their pictures.

It's too bad there's such a price disparity between the 90 and the 110s we can get, because while the 90 might make a great wheelin' rig, the 110 checks all the family and practical transport boxes...as long as it has A/C : )
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:39 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
That 110 has been for sale on and off now for (I feel like) a year. I wonder what is wrong with it. I htink some board members went to check it out a few weeks ago for someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2011, 04:40 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
yeah look like the inside is blue but cosmetically I dont really care - we just need the space - I wonder if a diesel will be easy to find someone to work on or get parts for? Registering it in california? insuring a non usa spec vehicle? Might be easier to get a divorce?

------ Follow up post added March 15th, 2011 01:42 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
That 110 has been for sale on and off now for (I feel like) a year. I wonder what is wrong with it. I htink some board members went to check it out a few weeks ago for someone else.
would love to hear any input others might have - I have a friend in denver but would like to hear other 90 owners thoughts - Im not picky but I want a solid truck
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:49 PM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

I went through this exact thing and ended up with a NAS110. It is great to have the whole family in it and it is much more refined than a 90. In California it is a bit more complicated, I was nervous about trying to reg. a diesel 110 here. Many others have done it successfully.
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Nothing crazy about wanting a 110. It is a much more practical truck for a family. I would say you should figure out what you want to spend and go from there. Obviously rhd might be a deal breaker for some but diesel is a good option. The only issue is the age of the vehicle, even if it was low miles it is old so there is bound to be issues. Have whatever you buy inspected by a respected shopthat knows what they are looking at. Rovertracks i think is around there and they know diesel.

As for registering in CA this truck shouldnt be an issue
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:21 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
what is the value of uk trucks vs nas110's? thats the question - as nas110 are out of my budget - I spent 25000 on my 90 and would be willing to spend up to that amount for a similar 110. Assuming the issues that come up are no more costly to care for then my 90 which has cost me very little over the last year and a half

I assume that 110 since it is registered in CO makes it easy to get it to CA but bringing in a UK vehicle I assume I will need to jump through hoops at the DMV - so should I only consider 110's that are already registered in the US
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

odds are maintenance wise unless you get one that is very well sorted, you are going to have more issues with a 25k 110 from the uk than NAS just based on age. You need to find a well sorted truck.

No issue with registering if it has been registered before
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
so i think i am going to try to import a diesel 110 from europe since the one in co is sold - but after reading a few threads im not sure it is possible to register a uk vehicle directly in ca? anyone have a definite answer?

something like this

thanks

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 Defender 110 Fr 2.5 D White right front.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	37197  
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
a 25,000 110 is just that.

I particularly loved the experience of RHD ( although my 110 is LHD ) but that could be a PITA when approaching the Toll Booth sans EZPass, ATM, Fast Food.. etc

you can buy one less expensive lets say from Doc ( he has prices to all pockets ) and keep some pesos for the next hiccups, buy one from Doc, Dale, Tim, Keith, Chuck, ( even ECR at one point had one or two low priced 110 ) but they will not be in the 25k range as those trucks are same color in and out, usually nicely equipped and sorted.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
do you have any contact info for any of those listed

J
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Doc = Draaron here ( Rovers out East )
Dale = Rovertrader here ( Roverbarn )
Tim = Golden747 here ( Red Mountain Rovers )
Chuck = Buyrovers here ( can't remember his web site )
Keith = Copleymotors
ECR = ..who doesn't know *LOL*

And if you want one of the ones on the upper end, mine would be listed shortly ( has a cage and no A/C )
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

jay,

i found this thread eye opening: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29605

Not for any "shady dealings" but just the notion that these 110 imports are cheap for a reason. If you think our NAS trucks are troublesome, imagine buying a truck 10 years older that has been used even harder and not treated as a collectable as a lot of these north america trucks are. Just know what you are getting into--especially considering you will be carrying your family around who may not be as tolerant of the "eccentricities" of a 25 year old truck.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Groundhog Day

Not that thread/topic again!

That was pretty bloody-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB622 View Post
jay,

i found this thread eye opening: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29605

Not for any "shady dealings" but just the notion that these 110 imports are cheap for a reason. If you think our NAS trucks are troublesome, imagine buying a truck 10 years older that has been used even harder and not treated as a collectable as a lot of these north america trucks are. Just know what you are getting into--especially considering you will be carrying your family around who may not be as tolerant of the "eccentricities" of a 25 year old truck.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
I'm in the same boat (kids 6 &8) and have nearly decided that the 110 would be far more practical. I think I saw that '83 you've got a picture of on ebay (and they have a nice website set up too), and it looks clean, but clearly has seen more lifetimes than a NAS 90. It used to be blue, and you can see that in the engine compartment and the rear door in their pictures.

It's too bad there's such a price disparity between the 90 and the 110s we can get, because while the 90 might make a great wheelin' rig, the 110 checks all the family and practical transport boxes...as long as it has A/C : )
If I were you, when I finally decide the frame of the 90 is beyond repair, I would convert it to a 110. It is not that terrible of a job, especially not much worse than doing a frame replacement on a D90. TravelsWithRovers did it in a week or two. You could recover a lot of the cost of the conversion by selling the parts you take off. A new 110 frame is not much more than a new 90 frame and used 110 back bodies are available.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
jay,

I disagree. NAS will always have value. A Grey truck or whatever you want to call it may suit your needs. But you need to be prepared to do some homework when it comes to registering, insuring, financing, etc.. There are a lot of people who have done this and 25k for a clean 110 is achievable, you just need to shop around. Most of the vendors in the US are stocking 200 tdi and 300 tdi parts, some even have TD5 and Puma parts.

I wish you luck and just about every one I know that has a ROW truck is happy. I know 2 are not (yet).
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post

That was pretty shitty-
Fixed for you

------ Follow up post added March 23rd, 2011 03:11 PM ------

Quote:
jay,

And you do own one ROW truck right?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
i was just talking to a buddy here at work and he said I should just extend my 90 to a 110 like a limo? maybe I should do a little more research in that direction - getting a 110 frame and shell - never thought of it

I did read that other thread and yes I would be nervous in getting a car shipped here and finding out all the issues that were a bigger deal to me then the seller

J
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Groundhog Day part deux

Thanks Gustavo- that pretty much summed it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1

That was pretty shitty-

Fixed for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Fixed for you

------ Follow up post added March 23rd, 2011 03:11 PM ------

And you do own one ROW truck right?
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
i was just talking to a buddy here at work and he said I should just extend my 90 to a 110 like a limo? maybe I should do a little more research in that direction - getting a 110 frame and shell - never thought of it

I did read that other thread and yes I would be nervous in getting a car shipped here and finding out all the issues that were a bigger deal to me then the seller

J
Make a 110 Soft Top!

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/BR1upgrades.html

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/BeachRunner.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat