Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 14th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Really enjoyed the games.
In all fairness, Messi had better games than today, but you have to look at who the competition was and how well he played in all the games.
Germany did a good job of contending with Messi.

The Argentine coach is smart and shifted his strategy to counter the opposition and give the best chance of victory.
Argentina completely shifted their play and line up to counter the Dutch who made no changes and played the same old predictable strategy.
Robben and Van Persie are a tough duo to contend with and Argentina shut them down.
I agree that there were perhaps better choices for an award, but someone needs to get it and Messi wasn't a terrible choice, just probably not the best pick.

Robben did a game changing flop (diving to fake he was fouled) that he admitted to later.
That most likely kept him out of the running.
If the Dutch had played against Argentina the way they dispatched Brazil, they would have been in the final round. VP should never have started, or played at all, due to his not being ready to play. Argentina did the same thing during the Dutch game as they did during the Germany game. That is to recognize that the other teams attacking game is FAR better than theirs and park the bus with only occasionally pushing forward to actually score. Holland did not need to shift its strategy. It needed to push for the win against a team that seemed to have no interest in actually scoring, content to do nothing but play defense. They followed the old, most defense way of playing the game. Everyone else has made the transition to playing high on the field, forcing the attack. If anything, Argentina is the team stuck in the same old, same old. Look at Costa Rica and Chile. High lines and high pressure carried them far further than anyone (exception of Klinsmann) thought they would go.

Robben took an admitted dive but what seems to anger most people is that he admitted it, something no one else is willing to do. Neymar did it all tournament. It is Ronaldos other skill. Messi hit the ground. The Italians have it as a game strategy. If Chiellini had not spent the ENTIRE game hitting the ground, the ref probably would have caught the infamous bite knowing that his reaction was genuine. Not just another ploy for attention. Robben was FAR more influential, even with his admitted dive, than Messi was. He might have been edged by only one goal but he spent the entire tournament making deep, striking runs into the box in a position that was not his natural, most played position or even side. Messi spent a good amount of time being in the wrong area of the field and standing around (look at his game yesterday). How many times can you point out where Messi ran back to play defense? Robben was there and then sprinting back to the front to create space and opportunity. Messi is a great player (not the greatest) but his being awarded player of the tournament was more of 'we have to give this poster child something' sort of award.

This was the list for possibilities, as announced by FIFA. Every single one of those names, with the exception of Neymar, seemed to be more deserving of the award than Messi. FIFA seems to be the only one.

Angel Di Maria Argentina
Mats Hummels Germany
Toni Kroos Germany
Phillip Lahm Germany
Javier Mascherano Argentina
Lionel Messi Argentina
Thomas Mueller Germany
Neymar Brazil
Arjen Robben Netherlands
James Rodriguez Colombia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2014, 09:23 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Schweinsteiger called, said he was fed up with being a punching bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
If the Dutch had played against Argentina the way they dispatched Brazil, they would have been in the final round. VP should never have started, or played at all, due to his not being ready to play.
The Dutch play a fast open kick and run game that is no where s technical as those that beat them.
The Dutch game works and is tough to contend with.
The Argentine coach shifted his game accordingly.
Robben played well no doubt, but you are dealing with politics not clear judgement regarding quality of play.
Robben is no where as popular as Messi or Ronaldo.
Messi is popular, Ronaldo is more popular, but Ronaldo didn't get an award because his team didn't progress far enough so Messi was the political favorite not the very best choice as noted above.

The chicks called, said Ronaldo was their first choice and Messi was their second.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Robben played well no doubt, but you are dealing with politics not clear judgement regarding quality of play.
Like I said, it was political and a reward for their poster boy. I just read the Blatter (Pres. of FIFA) said he was surprised Messi was given the award. Muller was second and Robben was third. Maradona (who is a clown) made a statement saying that the award must have been chosen by marketing people, and not people who actually watched the games.

It was definitely the best WC I can remember seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Just read Messi didn't want it. But I bet those stories will be quickly suppressed. He should melt it down or put it on EBay.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...Cup-dream.html

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:47 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Just read Messi didn't want it. But I bet those stories will be quickly suppressed.
He's a douchebag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat