Woohoo, finally got the TDI - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Woohoo, finally got the TDI

We finally got the VW Jetta TDI that we've been searching for and from initial MPG calculations, we should be able to cut fuel consumption in half as compared to the Audi A4 that we used to drive (it's for sale if anyone wants to buy it).

When we got to Dallas where the car was being sold, I plugged in my VW/Audi diagnostic software and made sure there were no fault codes, checked the timing, and made sure there was nothing fishy. It checked out so we took it for a test drive and then I checked again just to make sure the dealer hadn't just barely cleared the codes, lol. No codes came back, so that was good. The car felt really good and I loved the torquey little engine! We started driving that night and got to the West side of the Dallas-Ft. Worth area where we got a hotel, then at 5:00 am it was on the road again. We stopped in Lubbock, TX to visit the wife's aunt and partner. Then it was on to Santa Fe. We got to Santa Fe at about 6:30ish and ate some good mexican food, played around downtown, and then went out to a little country B&B that I got us for our Anniversary. It was a great place, really cozy and beautiful. We slept in a while and hiked around in the morning just a bit before we were on the road again by about 11:30 am. The car was great most of the way home except for one little scare going up a hill...

I stepped on it to pass a semi going up a hill near the Colorado border (8000 feet elevation) and the car suddenly lost power. I slipped back in behind the semi and pulled off at the next turn off. Turned the car off and plugged in the vag-com. It was an overboost code which didn't sound too good. I cleared it and decided that we would see if it came back. It never did and when I got home I researched into it more. The car has a variable geometry turbo on it and apparently the guide vanes inside can start to stick from the diesel soot if the car has been babied for extended periods of time where the vanes haven't moved much. I sure wasn't babying it, lol, so it makes me feel good to know the previous owner probably did. Since then I have worked the VNT linkage on the turbo a little bit and it loosened right up and the code never came back even when I've tried to make it come back going up the canyon here at home. I'm waiting on a bunch of maintenance stuff and hopefully it will come before Wednesday so I can have a maintenance fest on it. Total trip was 1266 miles with Avg. MPG 46.8 MPG (and I was doing darn near 80mph the whole time). Avg. MPG around town so far has been about 44.9MPG. Not to shabby considering I am always flooring it because it's so fun to drive!

Since we've been home I've been running a B30 winterized biodiesel blend in it and it's going great. Gonna change out the fuel filter here soon because I'm sure the BioD has cleaned out the fuel system quite a bit.

Next comes the bigger injectors and a chip! Modding trucks and cars is quite the addictive hobby, I really gotta stop
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2006, 01:13 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Bradlee,

Sounds sweet! I wish I had a little diesel commuter car to go back and forth to Salt Lake in.

Do you ever go wheeling in your D-90s? I've been going lately with the Wasatch Rovers guys.

Well, there's almost enough snow up at Deer Valley to do some pre-season tele. I'm getting excited.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
keep us posted on how things work out with that car.
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2006, 03:12 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Terrapin,
We do go out wheeling as much as we can, however one of the D-90's is in pieces right now pending a rebuild. I hope to have it done soon as it's already gone on much longer than expected.

I'm excited for the ski season, and my friends have already skinned up parts of Alta this year. Good times.

Rover 4x4, things so far are good. We've had the car almost two weeks now and that last tank of gas was almost all city driving and we ended up at 43 MPG. I don't try to drive it for mileage either, and we live up on the hill, so it gets a good 700 ft elevation gain going to our house every day from the valley. The car has tons of power and the torque on the engine makes it so fun to drive because it starts so low.
Old November 26th, 2006, 04:17 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I went by the VW dealership in Salt Lake today and looked at the TDIs. I'm very tempted. I'm finding it kind of hard to justify a second vehicle--it feels like conspicuous consumption--but these $45 gas fill-ups every three days are killing me. I've spent nearly $300 on gas for the 90 this month!

What do you think of buying a new one off the lot?

/
/
/
/
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:24 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
I went by the VW dealership in Salt Lake today and looked at the TDIs. I'm very tempted. I'm finding it kind of hard to justify a second vehicle--it feels like conspicuous consumption--but these $45 gas fill-ups every three days are killing me. I've spent nearly $300 on gas for the 90 this month!

i'd love tom be able to buy one new off the lot, it sucks though, bc they won't budge an inch on price for the diesel's but when you start looking at the non-diesel you can rediculous deals...

there should be huge tax incentives for going diesel, or hybrid...
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:02 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
i'd love tom be able to buy one new off the lot, it sucks though, bc they won't budge an inch on price for the diesel's but when you start looking at the non-diesel you can rediculous deals...

there should be huge tax incentives for going diesel, or hybrid...
I've never known VW to budge on their prices at all! Went to three different dealerships, back when I was considering a Golf VR6 and they would just say, the price is the price.

The beauty of that car is, chances are you won't be disappointed even with a used one!

Have you guys checked out www.tdiclub.com great info! Those jerks (j/k) on the forum have the nerve to have a 800 mile club, they even have a thread where they are pushing for 900 to 1000 miles per tank. <sniff> I can only hope to get 300 on the D.
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:32 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

If I pay full retail I would at least want a Germany vacation out of it But it's too bad that VW doesn't offer a European delivery program (AFAIK). Audi has European delivery, but doesn't offer any TDi's for U.S. import. But Mercedes has the E320 Bluetec V6 Diesel. I think it's the only Tdi available for Euro Delivery.

Ade, how are you hoping for 300 miles? You got an extra tank hidden somewhere the sun don't shine? ;-)

Follow-up Post:

Ooops, correction: The MB E320 Bluetec is *not* a Tdi.

Follow-up Post:

But it *is* a diesel, and still does 0-60 in 6.6s. MBUSA.com says Euro delivery discount is 7%, or about $3,500 USD on this baby. Enough to pay for a week's worth of Hofbräu in Munich.
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:57 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimngo
Audi has European delivery, but doesn't offer any TDi's for U.S. import.
Not YET at least. There are rumors for next year because we'll finally have the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel fuel. That's been the whole reason that they wouldn't bring thier TDI's over in the first place. The one I want is the V12 in the Q7 sport utility :-)

Quote:
Follow-up Post:

Ooops, correction: The MB E320 Bluetec is *not* a Tdi.

Follow-up Post:

But it *is* a diesel, and still does 0-60 in 6.6s. MBUSA.com says Euro delivery discount is 7%, or about $3,500 USD on this baby. Enough to pay for a week's worth of Hofbräu in Munich.
True, it's not labeled a "TDI" as that's a VW badge, but it is a Turbodiesel Direct Injection (TDI) engine, but MB uses the common rail so they lovingly refer to it as a CRD (Common Rail Diesel). Bluetec is referring to the exhaust treatment generally, but I think MB would like to hear people call their diesels "bluetecs" because of the sometimes negative view of "diesels" by Americans (mostly due to the old inefficient diesels of the past over here).

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Have you guys checked out www.tdiclub.com great info! Those jerks (j/k) on the forum have the nerve to have a 800 mile club, they even have a thread where they are pushing for 900 to 1000 miles per tank. <sniff> I can only hope to get 300 on the D.
BTW, www.tdiclub.com is great! I've only made it into the 600 mile club, but I do that on just about every tank, haha. I drive way to fast to get any better than about 44 MPG average :D I would like to try for one of the higher clubs on a long road trip though, that'd be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
I absolutely LOVE the new ones. My uncle has one with the DSG transmission that is unbelievable! It's a blast to drive and he still averages about 40-42MPG in it. The way the DSG works is phenomenal, and I wish someone would have come up with that before the style of auto transmissions that we have had up until now. I would HIGHLY recommend one of the new ones. They are super quiet, you can barely tell htere's a diesel under the hood and 99% of the population would never notice. But it's a pretty ballsy engine with the low-end torque and the variable geometry turbocharger that it has.
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
The one I want is the V12 in the Q7 sport utility :-)
Ahhh, clearly you haven't seen the new Audi R8...

http://microsites.audi.com/audir8/ht...micro_link_com

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/09/...-r8-2007-2008/

I know, I know...probably have to dig a bit deeper in your pocket books and scrounge up whatever change you can from under the couch...but I'm sure driving it for a month before it gets repo'd for none payment might be worth it!

Quote:
BTW, www.tdiclub.com is great! I've only made it into the 600 mile club, but I do that on just about every tank, haha. I drive way to fast to get any better than about 44 MPG average :D I would like to try for one of the higher clubs on a long road trip though, that'd be great!
To hit 800+ ie going the speed limit, using the AC only when going downhill, etc...way too much work.
Quote:
Ade, how are you hoping for 300 miles? You got an extra tank hidden somewhere the sun don't shine? ;-)
I just replaced my air filter, and now getting about twice as many miles to the gallon...roughly about 250 miles per tank...thinking if I ease off the pedal a bit, maybe I could get damn close...maybe??? If I have too, drop a few ounces of acetone.
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Quote:
Ahhh, clearly you haven't seen the new Audi R8...

http://microsites.audi.com/audir8/ht...micro_link_com

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/09/...-r8-2007-2008/

I know, I know...probably have to dig a bit deeper in your pocket books and scrounge up whatever change you can from under the couch...but I'm sure driving it for a month before it gets repo'd for none payment might be worth it!
Oh yeah, I've seen it. But they're not putting the TDI in it for the US market...yet. I hope they do in the future though.

BTW, speaking of Audi TDI's... a post of mine from tdiclub.com with vids of the R10 Le Mans car at the GP of Utah. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=158875#12
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
I've never known VW to budge on their prices at all! Went to three different dealerships, back when I was considering a Golf VR6 and they would just say, the price is the price.

The beauty of that car is, chances are you won't be disappointed even with a used one!

I've never tried to negotiate price with VW, i've heard people talk about how you can get special offers on the regular VW's but nothing applies to the diesels...

I really wanted a diesel taureg before i bought my defender, a regular v8 was at the tippy top of my price range, and the diesel version was 20k more, used... automakers need to bring those prices down alot, it's insane to have to pay an extra 35-40% of the price of a vehicle for the motor... diesel's are harder to make, but not THAT much harder...
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:24 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Driving my D kills me. I get nervous ~150mi / tank.
Golf tdi - I usually fill up well into 600 mi. I've hit 700 on many occasions. It rocks not having to fill up everyday. My justification for the 2nd car (that would be the commuter car) is that the 700miles can be racked up in a week of driving for <$45. Esp if we take a weekend road trip. What kills me here is the price of diesel around this time of year. Its more than premium!

As for dealers and negotiating - depends on what you are getting and where you are. I was able to bargain for my tdi (bought in Wa in Aug).
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Is the Golf no longer part of the VW-USA lineup? On vw.com I only see the GTI and a smaller Rabbit. (Is that the european Polo?)

And it appears that the Jetta is the only vehicle with an optional Tdi.

So if you want a new Golf Tdi, you'd better snatch up the last of the '06's.
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:25 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

The Rabbit is the Golf. Same thing, it's not any smaller. The Polo is smaller than the Rabbit (Golf) and the Lupo is smaller still. Speaking of Lupo.... 12sec 1/4 mile run, and it's got 4motion (AWD)!! I want one.
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:32 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Is the Golf no longer part of the VW-USA lineup? On vw.com I only see the GTI and a smaller Rabbit. (Is that the european Polo?)

And it appears that the Jetta is the only vehicle with an optional Tdi.

So if you want a new Golf Tdi, you'd better snatch up the last of the '06's.
i can't remember where i heard it, but i was told that most manufactures won't be offering diesel cars(not trucks) in 07, but that we should seem some back in 08... something about epa rgulations and new fuel on the way.
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I almost got 18mpg on my truck this weekend. I can usually always count on 15 or 16. I have a little shit box that gets 40-45 to the gallon based on my calculations. This diesal talk is nice i hate see that VW isnt offering this go year. I wish they would make another diesal Jetta wagon.
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Quote:
The Rabbit is the Golf. Same thing, it's not any smaller. The Polo is smaller than the Rabbit (Golf) and the Lupo is smaller still. Speaking of Lupo.... 12sec 1/4 mile run, and it's got 4motion (AWD)!! I want one.
Man, the euros always get the coolest cars

Yes, after closer examination I see that the rabbit has the same dimensions as the new GTI. And it now comes as a 2-door for $1000 less than last year's 4 door Golf. But the 4-door rabbit is $1000 more that last year's Golf. And, no Tdi option.
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:47 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I think VW (and DC?) are pulling their diesels from the american market to make sure the switch to ulsd wont bugger anything. Once its here, they can bring out the new cats to lower particulate emissions. However, if there is any lsd around anywhere, it will kill the cat. So they are waiting for a year to make sure all the lsd is totally flushed out. And to see how things fair.

I really hope that other manufacturers will jump on the diesel bandwagon come '08. But we will just have to wait and see. And bug them all about diesel cars so they see there is a real demand.

ulsd - 15ppm sulphur
lsd - 50ppm sulphur - and its the sulphur that will kill the new cats that are out in europe.
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:34 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
I think VW (and DC?) are pulling their diesels from the american market to make sure the switch to ulsd wont bugger anything. Once its here, they can bring out the new cats to lower particulate emissions. However, if there is any lsd around anywhere, it will kill the cat. So they are waiting for a year to make sure all the lsd is totally flushed out. And to see how things fair.

I really hope that other manufacturers will jump on the diesel bandwagon come '08. But we will just have to wait and see. And bug them all about diesel cars so they see there is a real demand.

ulsd - 15ppm sulphur
lsd - 50ppm sulphur - and its the sulphur that will kill the new cats that are out in europe.
This is mostly true, but it's important to note that all cars up until 2006 model year are not affected by the old LSD, because they still have the old cats. They are not however, completely stopping importation of the new diesels, there are still a few that are offered. It's also my understanding that VW is cutting back on diesel importation for 2007 (Except the new V10 TDI Touareg) because the other TDI's can't meet the emissions standards for 2007.

BTW, both Mercedes (DC) and VW still offer at least one diesel for the 2007 model year, but it's the newer technology diesel engines, i.e. Bluetec for Mercedes and uprated particulate and NOx traps for VW. For 2008, there will need to be even more emission control (AdBlue for Mercedes which VW will most likely also due to the merging of emissions technology between Mercedes, VW (Auid too), and BMW. http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...chry.html#more

Oh, and don't forget about the Jeep Grand Cherokee Bluetec (DC) coming out in a few months.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tdi