WOOHOO!! BP/BA hooked me up big time on my new chassis! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Talking WOOHOO!! BP/BA hooked me up big time on my new chassis!

Thanks to their open house on Sat (10% off) plus free shipping thanks to them buying BP and having to ship parts via freight to them, I got my gavanized NASD90 chassis (Richards chassis) for $3055.00. Wachoo black bastards think?? Good deal or what? Ressurection Neil's d90 is comming soon... Just wondering if I have to re-tap all the threaded holes to get rid of excess zinc.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There are a limited number of holes in a chassis that have to be retapped. The only ones I can think of are the ones in the bottom of the rear crossmember for the bumper. The rest just need a drill run through them to clear out excess zinc (make sure to slather everything in antisieze when you reassemble).
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thanks, I remember reading there are a few, I was going to try to raise the body ECR style except instead of a fancy lift I will use 2x2 square tubing to hold the front and rear of the body up over 55 gallon drums while I roll the chassis out. Saw this done on LRO once, now I will attempt. haha

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Thanks, I remember reading there are a few, I was going to try to raise the body ECR style except instead of a fancy lift I will use 2x2 square tubing to hold the front and rear of the body up over 55 gallon drums while I roll the chassis out. Saw this done on LRO once, now I will attempt. haha
Personally, I have never had a problem separating the body into big chunks and it seems much safer, but god speed to you sir.
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
MAPP torch to heat followed by a quick shot of compressed blow gun air will clear the threads pretty well. Wear eye and body protection when you do that cz hot metal flies everywhere.
I don't recommend drilling out the holes as the drill can take off the zinc if it walks sideways at all.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:46 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
There are a limited number of holes in a chassis that have to be retapped. The only ones I can think of are the ones in the bottom of the rear crossmember for the bumper. The rest just need a drill run through them to clear out excess zinc (make sure to slather everything in antisieze when you reassemble).
Unless the NAS frame is a lot different from the ROW frames, the good news is that no other holes on the frame are tapped (every hole is a through-bolt with a nut tied on the other end)
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
MAPP torch to heat followed by a quick shot of compressed blow gun air will clear the threads pretty well. Wear eye and body protection when you do that cz hot metal flies everywhere.
I don't recommend drilling out the holes as the drill can take off the zinc if it walks sideways at all.
I took the position on my series that it was inevitable that I would have bare metal in the through holes and treated them accordingly. The heat and compressed air seems needlessly difficult and dangerous as opposed to just running a drill through. My experience was that you sill had some zinc on most of the holes as they were oversized and you just had to clear a decent path (the exception being the bulkhead outrigger long bolts which I tried without drilling out and then got a damn drillbit stuck in there -- don't ask).

I am pretty sure it is just the bolts on the bottom of the crossmember that are tapped as Ed says.
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:22 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Thanks to their open house on Sat (10% off) plus free shipping thanks to them buying BP and having to ship parts via freight to them, I got my gavanized NASD90 chassis (Richards chassis) for $3055.00. Wachoo black bastards think?? Good deal or what? Ressurection Neil's d90 is comming soon... Just wondering if I have to re-tap all the threaded holes to get rid of excess zinc.
Glad we could help. I just pulled the order off the printer so now I know where to go for the party at "Neil's"
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl View Post
Glad we could help. I just pulled the order off the printer so now I know where to go for the party at "Neil's"

Hehe, btw, I got a text from citicard fraud alert thats why they denied the card, I texted back it was a legitimate charge and now its ok. Later when the chassis comes in, I will tickle marty's mustache by fanning $2k in cash over it ($100 bills). Just kidding, just use the credit card for the balance, I want the thank you points for free rooms in Vegas.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat