WOOHOO!! BP/BA hooked me up big time on my new chassis! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
Talking WOOHOO!! BP/BA hooked me up big time on my new chassis!

Thanks to their open house on Sat (10% off) plus free shipping thanks to them buying BP and having to ship parts via freight to them, I got my gavanized NASD90 chassis (Richards chassis) for $3055.00. Wachoo black bastards think?? Good deal or what? Ressurection Neil's d90 is comming soon... Just wondering if I have to re-tap all the threaded holes to get rid of excess zinc.
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
There are a limited number of holes in a chassis that have to be retapped. The only ones I can think of are the ones in the bottom of the rear crossmember for the bumper. The rest just need a drill run through them to clear out excess zinc (make sure to slather everything in antisieze when you reassemble).
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
Thanks, I remember reading there are a few, I was going to try to raise the body ECR style except instead of a fancy lift I will use 2x2 square tubing to hold the front and rear of the body up over 55 gallon drums while I roll the chassis out. Saw this done on LRO once, now I will attempt. haha
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Thanks, I remember reading there are a few, I was going to try to raise the body ECR style except instead of a fancy lift I will use 2x2 square tubing to hold the front and rear of the body up over 55 gallon drums while I roll the chassis out. Saw this done on LRO once, now I will attempt. haha
Personally, I have never had a problem separating the body into big chunks and it seems much safer, but god speed to you sir.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,503
Registry
MAPP torch to heat followed by a quick shot of compressed blow gun air will clear the threads pretty well. Wear eye and body protection when you do that cz hot metal flies everywhere.
I don't recommend drilling out the holes as the drill can take off the zinc if it walks sideways at all.
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:46 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,537
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
There are a limited number of holes in a chassis that have to be retapped. The only ones I can think of are the ones in the bottom of the rear crossmember for the bumper. The rest just need a drill run through them to clear out excess zinc (make sure to slather everything in antisieze when you reassemble).
Unless the NAS frame is a lot different from the ROW frames, the good news is that no other holes on the frame are tapped (every hole is a through-bolt with a nut tied on the other end)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
MAPP torch to heat followed by a quick shot of compressed blow gun air will clear the threads pretty well. Wear eye and body protection when you do that cz hot metal flies everywhere.
I don't recommend drilling out the holes as the drill can take off the zinc if it walks sideways at all.
I took the position on my series that it was inevitable that I would have bare metal in the through holes and treated them accordingly. The heat and compressed air seems needlessly difficult and dangerous as opposed to just running a drill through. My experience was that you sill had some zinc on most of the holes as they were oversized and you just had to clear a decent path (the exception being the bulkhead outrigger long bolts which I tried without drilling out and then got a damn drillbit stuck in there -- don't ask).

I am pretty sure it is just the bolts on the bottom of the crossmember that are tapped as Ed says.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:22 PM
brn24whl's Avatar
brn24whl
Status: Offline
Eric
1994 RRC SWB
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Capital District NYS
Posts: 1,214
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Thanks to their open house on Sat (10% off) plus free shipping thanks to them buying BP and having to ship parts via freight to them, I got my gavanized NASD90 chassis (Richards chassis) for $3055.00. Wachoo black bastards think?? Good deal or what? Ressurection Neil's d90 is comming soon... Just wondering if I have to re-tap all the threaded holes to get rid of excess zinc.
Glad we could help. I just pulled the order off the printer so now I know where to go for the party at "Neil's"
__________________
Eric Riston
Commission-Based Retail Sales Representative
1-800-533-2210 ext 231
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl View Post
Glad we could help. I just pulled the order off the printer so now I know where to go for the party at "Neil's"

Hehe, btw, I got a text from citicard fraud alert thats why they denied the card, I texted back it was a legitimate charge and now its ok. Later when the chassis comes in, I will tickle marty's mustache by fanning $2k in cash over it ($100 bills). Just kidding, just use the credit card for the balance, I want the thank you points for free rooms in Vegas.
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time on your hands? scrover Misc. Chit-Chat 3 November 3rd, 2004 08:25 PM
Birthday time again! Mike Hippert Misc. Chit-Chat 21 October 20th, 2004 11:12 PM
Inconsistent post time bd90 Support & Suggestions 4 December 19th, 2003 08:34 AM
One pic at a time? bd90 Support & Suggestions 1 November 6th, 2003 07:51 PM
Time Mike Hippert Support & Suggestions 3 October 1st, 2003 09:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Copyright