Wondering about MAF compatibility - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 14th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wondering about MAF compatibility

Don't need one, but I know it will eventually start becoming an issue for some of us. So I am trying to figure out what, if any, other options we have for that $650 Mass Air sensor in D-90's.

It seems that there are a few different varients of it for different vehicles, all start with PN: ERR5198 and some have either an A or G added at the end. I am assuming this is probably just for different calibrations for different vehicles?

I have to re-check later on the price and the part, but I saw that some MG's use the same design. One source I saw had them listed for about 60 pounds, which is quite a lot cheaper than the $600 I am used to seeing. Anybody out there better versed on these things that can explain what the differences are between the different part numbers?

Perhaps with some type of adapter, might we be able to use GM or Ford parts also? Just trying to find other options.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

What is it for?
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:21 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Seems like finding the original manufacturer of the sensor would be possibly rewarding...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok, figured it all out (I think). All the 3.9L engines use the same model from Lucas, the 5AM, with minor material differences over time. I think the individual rover P/N's have more to do with the sensors being tuned to the different vehicles. The 5AM is also used in a LOT of other british cars from Rover,MG,Jaguar,Morgan,TVR and I think Saab too! The fuel injectors may be similarly popular. I have seen 5AM's as low as 150pounds so far... about $300. BIG difference!!!! With more searching I am sure that I can find even cheaper, and I've also seen a Bosche part # listed too.

The 4.0L and 4.6L use a newer style 20AM mass air sensor that is actually compatible with 3.9L's if you make some wiring adjustments and also re-chip the ECU. The 20AM has a lot larger and smoother airpath, not to mention none of the production mistakes that us Defender owners ended up with on the 5AM's we have. RPI has a section on their website on how to modify the wiring for the 20AM to fit onto a 3.9L engine.

It looks like if you buy a non-LR version of the 5AM, you need to adjust it to the application. RPI also has those instructions on their website. Doesn't APPEAR to be too difficult.... but until I do it, I don't know for sure.

Here is the RPI link..... it's allllll the way at the bottom
http://www.rpiv8.com/carbs-2.htm

-Hans

Old April 16th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Here is the cheapest source I could find at $125pounds. About $250 US. Search under P/N ERR5198
http://www.ukmgparts.com

Most rover places charge.... $650 or so? Man, I love how LR rips us off on replacement parts.

-Hans

Old April 17th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

WOW, pretty good. What mad you think about replacing the MAF? Did you know someone who had to replace their's, or was this just kind of a research project?
Old April 17th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, milage is starting to get up there on my truck and I just want to be prepared when the time comes to make any repairs that might be needed. So I am trying to find a good line on the really high dollar parts that may be needed.

Oh, and maybe up the HP a bit in the process.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat