Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 5th, 2014, 08:32 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
so I'm unsure if they are copies or the real deal. How do you tell?
Real or copies?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-183493454.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	96310

I don't see a land rover part number stamped anywhere like I have on my stock steel wheels, but I googled some of the numbers that are there and people where talking about wolf/NATO wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Can't speak to whether they are LR or aftermarket, but the centers certainly appear thick enough to be the real deal.
I had real Wolfs and they were thick as that (where the circle vent holes are) and they weighed a shit-ton.
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:39 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
That is how much they weigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2014, 08:42 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

I think I'm going to get the Land Rover "Wolf" style wheels that Zack linked to on the RN site and have a few questions. Thanks to John B (red d90) for the wheel measurement charts.

Currently on my 95 NAS D90 SW are the standard alloy Boost wheels which are 16x7 with I think an offset of 30mm according to several UK sources. Although the RN site states an offset of 2.75 inches, this seems quite large. The Wolf ANR4583 are likely what these are and have an offset of 21mm.

1). I'll check with RN but given the narrower wheel compared to the Boosts, would the RN Wolfs sit just as far out in relation to the body of the truck as the Boosts?
2). As it is a steel wheel, do I need steel lug nuts? What are the safety issues with other types?
3). Do I need longer wheel studs as stated in this link? http://www.landroverweb.com/landrove...ims-anr4583pm/
4). White is what I want and RN has black that is primed. Does that mean that paint versus powder coat is the way to go as it is more easy to touch up? What color white as there are an infinite amount os shades. Ivory was mentioned.
5). What are the handling differences between 6.5 vs 7.0 inches and lighter alloy vs heavier steel Wolfs? Any effect on turning radius?
6). Wheel spacers are offered on the Proline series wheels. Is this necessary?
7). Any issues regarding disc vs drum brakes?
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Our description is wrong, I just haven't fixed it yet
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
1). I'll check with RN but given the narrower wheel compared to the Boosts, would the RN Wolfs sit just as far out in relation to the body of the truck as the Boosts?

NO

2). As it is a steel wheel, do I need steel lug nuts? What are the safety issues with other types?

YES

3). Do I need longer wheel studs as stated in this link? http://www.landroverweb.com/landrove...ims-anr4583pm/

NO - WOLF STYLE WHEELS ARE TYPICALLY JUST ROAD WHEELS WITH HOLES. TRUE NATO/WOLF ARE THICKER STEEL AND LONGER STUDS ARE RECOMMENDED TO ENSURE COMPLETE CONTACT WITH THE WHEEL NUTS

4). White is what I want and RN has black that is primed. Does that mean that paint versus powder coat is the way to go as it is more easy to touch up? What color white as there are an infinite amount os shades. Ivory was mentioned.

ALL NEW WOLF ARE NOW AVAILABLE ONLY IN PRIMER (BLACK) MY RECOMMENDATION IS POWDER-COAT FOR ON ROAD-ONLY USE AND PAINT FOR MIXED/OFF ROAD USE

5). What are the handling differences between 6.5 vs 7.0 inches and lighter alloy vs heavier steel Wolfs? Any effect on turning radius?

YOU WONT NOTICE A DIFFERENCE - TIRE SELECTION WILL MAKE MORE IMPACT IN YOUR MILEAGE AND HANDLING THAN THE WHEELS THEMSELVES

NO - AND THEY LOOK AWFUL

NO
Old June 11th, 2014, 09:09 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I think I have a full set of steel wheel lug nuts from Atlantic British if interested

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUY SOME HATS --->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 11th, 2014, 09:10 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post

NO

YES

NO - WOLF STYLE WHEELS ARE TYPICALLY JUST ROAD WHEELS WITH HOLES. TRUE NATO/WOLF ARE THICKER STEEL AND LONGER STUDS ARE RECOMMENDED TO ENSURE COMPLETE CONTACT WITH THE WHEEL NUTS

ALL NEW WOLF ARE NOW AVAILABLE ONLY IN PRIMER (BLACK) MY RECOMMENDATION IS POWDER-COAT FOR ON ROAD-ONLY USE AND PAINT FOR MIXED/OFF ROAD USE

YOU WONT NOTICE A DIFFERENCE - TIRE SELECTION WILL MAKE MORE IMPACT IN YOUR MILEAGE AND HANDLING THAN THE WHEELS THEMSELVES

NO - THEY LOOK AWFUL

NO
Thank you for the quick response Mybluett. For clarification, In regards to question #1. Does that mean the Land Rover Wolfs will sit a little to the inside of the truck body compared to the alloys?
Old June 11th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
They will sit further out as the offset is less.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 11th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
To clarify on Mybluett's answers I have also heard that longer wheel studs are recommended for real wolf wheels. ..........however, I had real legit wolfs on my 110 and regular length studs and while there may have been less than one full revolution of threads left on the lug (meaning with longer studs you'd only be able to put say a 1/2 turn on them anyway). I've stayed in contact with the previous owner of my truck over the years and he was a fairly knowledgable Brit (ex-Mil) who swore that longer studs only served to allow ambitious mechanics over torquing the studs leading to snapped studs anyway. He had run around in MOD trucks and wolfs for 20 years and rebuilt a few Defenders along the way for personal use, so I would have no issue relying on his statements/opinions.

So, by his account, not only are longer studs not really needed, they are probably begging to be overtorqued.

That, and I logged about 15,000 miles with wolfs and regular-length studs with no issues whatsoever.
Old June 11th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
these are not military only wheels. These were the stock wheels installed on the defender 130 civilian trucks through the 90's and stock length studs were utilized in this factory fitment. I have a couple sets I alternate between, none of them aftermarket.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 11th, 2014, 11:10 PM
300tdi convert
Michael Giddinge
Late 80s 110 300tdi

Curious on the wolf wheels from RN being primed, because I specifically asked them via email whether their RNW216 rims were primed black or painted black, and RN's response was that they were painted black. Note that the RNW-216 is what they list as their heavy duty Wolf wheels and genuine LR. They also have a less expensive vented version PLW-216 (ProLine)
Old June 11th, 2014, 11:16 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
I have wolfs on the non-salisbury axel and the nut doesn't go on all the way but its fine. When you first look at them it doesn't look right but I've read into it quite a bit and I've seen Land Rover military documents that say its okay (can't find them anymore). Driven a lot on them and they've never budged.

See this thread for a better explanation (2nd to last and last post) http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?sh...c=34407&page=2
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300tdi convert View Post
Curious on the wolf wheels from RN being primed, because I specifically asked them via email whether their RNW216 rims were primed black or painted black, and RN's response was that they were painted black. Note that the RNW-216 is what they list as their heavy duty Wolf wheels and genuine LR. They also have a less expensive vented version PLW-216 (ProLine)
Primed with black paint...whatever Land Rover does. Land Rover doesn't really give detailed finish descriptions to us unfortunately. They're supposed to be primed black.
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:20 AM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Primed with black paint...whatever Land Rover does. Land Rover doesn't really give detailed finish descriptions to us unfortunately. They're supposed to be primed black.
Zack,

Does that mean that if I have them powdercoated, the black paint can be left alone without additional surface prep?

Can you also tell me how different in weight is the Land Rover Wolf from the Proline Wolf?
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:24 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
Does that mean that if I have them powdercoated, the black paint can be left alone without additional surface prep?
so...primer is paint, and you can't powder coat over paint.
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:49 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
What about having wheels galvanized? I googled it, and the only thing I could find was boat trailer wheels.
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:43 AM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Current tires on the Boost alloys are BFG All Terrain T/A 265-75R-16 tubeless. If I go with the 16x6.5 Wolfs, can I use the same tires or do I need a different size?

------ Follow up post added June 12th, 2014 10:44 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
so...primer is paint, and you can't powder coat over paint.
Thanks. I'll have them stripped and then powder coated. Would you suggest off white or eggshell as opposed to bright white for the wheels?
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
According to the specs, the minimum rim width is 7" but I bet it will be just fine.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rrain+T%2FA+KO
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:59 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Have you posted photos of your truck for us yet? I do not believe I've seen it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wheel