Wireless security cameras - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 16th, 2013, 12:44 AM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Wireless security cameras

There have been a few incidences in the neighborhood, i thought it might be time for security cameras around the house. Anyone have any experience with wireless cameras? Not really wanting to drill a bunch of holes in my house. How about online storage via the cloud to eliminate the need for a DVR?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2013, 12:54 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
I have 2x FOSCAM (found on Amazon) that we use as baby monitors. They are IP cameras, and I don't record them to a cloud, as you mentioned. Its my understanding that there is software that would allow it relatively easily. Both cameras less than 200 bucks and they work with no issues.

Old September 16th, 2013, 06:45 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I've been using the WVC200 for over 5 years and we are very happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:08 AM
toddw
Todd
Range Rover L405 Supercharged

Registry
Hi Mark, I really like https://www.dropcam.com Very clean and simple to use...it uploads to the cloud. Only negative is they are inside only but i have one looking out the window. If you need outdoor I would go with http://www.ubnt.com/airvision. The airvision package is very affordable.
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM
DGH
David Howe
None

I use wireless IP cameras in many locations. Some of them record to a local PC on motion, some record to the cloud. My favorite one allows me to monitor the engine room on my boat from an iPad while I am underway.

There are other devices that you can add to your home to enhance security that don't require drilling holes. Look on the web for Insteon. I use an Insteon controller for lighting control, pool control, thermostats, irrigation an more. When there's a problem in the house I get an email/text message.

To monitor the house I use an iPhone/iPad app called Mobilinc. The app works at home and from remote locations. I can turn on the lights, change the pool settings, and monitor the cameras form anywhere that has an internet connection.
Defender - in the market
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Cajun
G
1987 110

Be smart when you setup a wireless system or any system you monitor from your network. Make sure you have all inbound and outbound traffic secured.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...rt-homes-hack/
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlorman View Post
There have been a few incidences in the neighborhood, i thought it might be time for security cameras around the house. Anyone have any experience with wireless cameras? Not really wanting to drill a bunch of holes in my house. How about online storage via the cloud to eliminate the need for a DVR?
Thanks
What has been happening in your neighborhood? If its just break-ins I doubt a camera will do much good other than deterring someone that sees it.
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:18 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

My buddy's daughter tied up for 4 hours. He, pistol wipped unconscious while 2 robbed and looted his house in manhattan beach. Real nice.
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
My buddy's daughter tied up for 4 hours. He, pistol wipped unconscious while 2 robbed and looted his house in manhattan beach. Real nice.
Home invasion like that is certainly not good for the hood.

A lot of this comes down to assessing your vulnerability and using a systematic approach to making your household more difficult to invade-or rob-or whatever. Simply put it doesn't need to be impregnable (it won't be), it just needs to be difficult enough that the potential assailant goes to an easier target. Likewise a subtle blend of active and passive measures won't overstate the nature of the defense (and thus drawing more attention as one that has much to show for household security likely has much to guard).

Consider the range of motion sensor driven floods, better doors, stand alone alarms, appropriate plants outside windows, a trained dog, etc...

I guess what I'm saying is cameras are just one part of the equation-look at it like a system of systems where you have to strike a balance against an adversary you are trying to compel to go somewhere else.
r-
Ray
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Holy fuck! Yeah, that's a bit different from the break-ins in my hood. Best of luck to you, I'd get some guns.
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:08 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Have several. If they follow me into my garage they are in for quite a surprise. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:39 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,2612350.story

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat