These guys must have a good PR company:

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/this-co...lide-id-935301
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2014, 08:32 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Doesn't take much to have an editorial done on your company. Just mail a check.
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:00 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
With all the press this company has gotten, has anyone seen any of their vehicles/builds? I know of more than a few ECR rigs, have seen an Icon or 2 in town and at least Himalaya posts here on D-90 but nothing on these guys (granted they are west coast but like I said, I have seen some Icons).

I am also curious why they have to be so selective on the donor vehicle. If they are replacing most of the parts anyway then why do they pass up 90% of the rigs they see? And if they and their target market are in CA, i thought the 25 year old trucks were hard to register? Then you would think they would rework NAS Defenders if that was the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2014, 10:16 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
With all the press this company has gotten, has anyone seen any of their vehicles/builds? I know of more than a few ECR rigs, have seen an Icon or 2 in town and at least Himalaya posts here on D-90 but nothing on these guys (granted they are west coast but like I said, I have seen some Icons).

I am also curious why they have to be so selective on the donor vehicle. If they are replacing most of the parts anyway then why do they pass up 90% of the rigs they see? And if they and their target market are in CA, i thought the 25 year old trucks were hard to register? Then you would think they would rework NAS Defenders if that was the case?
It's marketing ... I pass 99.9999% of the 911's i look at ... doesn't mean anything ... makes a good sound bite though.

the registration question is a good one ... I suspect he's very well connected in the car trade in CA ... his GF's father is Peter Mullin ... http://www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com/ ... That guy is a serious collector ... paying well north of $10 million for some cars ... and bought one of the most expensive cars ever rumored to be sold privately. He has exquisite taste!

That being said if he can establish a brand he'll make more money selling branded T-shirts and accessories than he every would restoring cars. However if he can find a few money no object billionaires to buy his product then he can make some money on the countless restoration hours.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:

The photo for the article is a NAS truck, repainted. Many of us have said it in all of the other threads pertaining to this dude, but these are just landroversuk builds being marketed by him, so it would still be difficult to tell if they came from him, or landroversuk.co.uk

And as you'll recall he popped up on eBay a month or two ago and the location was further east - maybe Arizona but I think it was more like NC or SC if I'm remembering correctly.
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
The photo for the article is a NAS truck, repainted. Many of us have said it in all of the other threads pertaining to this dude, but these are just landroversuk builds being marketed by him, so it would still be difficult to tell if they came from him, or landroversuk.co.uk

And as you'll recall he popped up on eBay a month or two ago and the location was further east - maybe Arizona but I think it was more like NC or SC if I'm remembering correctly.
SC. Probably doing that to cut down on ocean freight cost and SC will be no issue issuing titles whereas we all know whats happening in Ca.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:17 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
It's marketing ... I pass 99.9999% of the 911's i look at ... doesn't mean anything ... makes a good sound bite though.

the registration question is a good one ... I suspect he's very well connected in the car trade in CA ... his GF's father is Peter Mullin ... http://www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com/ ... That guy is a serious collector ... paying well north of $10 million for some cars ... and bought one of the most expensive cars ever rumored to be sold privately. He has exquisite taste!

That being said if he can establish a brand he'll make more money selling branded T-shirts and accessories than he every would restoring cars. However if he can find a few money no object billionaires to buy his product then he can make some money on the countless restoration hours.
Regarding the passing on 90% of the vehicles they look at - you aren't billing yourself hours to look at them. And you probably aren't planning on totally rebuilding a 911 either. But I see your point and agree it makes for a good sound bite.

He could be just building rigs for friends/associates of Mullin and keep pretty busy. But it seems like it is mostly fluff. Lots of media coverage but not much substance on IG, FB, Twitter on what they are really doing. Check out Himalaya and ECR's Facebook page and you can see rigs getting built and immediately tell what kind of work gets done. SafariHP, UrbanLandCruisers, DefenderNorthWest have up to date info and are on here to boot.

And if it is branding they are after, then where can you buy a t-shirt? I know of a few low budget bike/skate/surf companies that do way more selling their stuff just by using IG. Just not sure what all the slick marketing is about.

------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2014 11:25 AM ------

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
SC. Probably doing that to cut down on ocean freight cost and SC will be no issue issuing titles whereas we all know whats happening in Ca.
I thought the reason that you'd name a company based on geographic location is because you have pride in your area/region? So WCD rigs are built in the UK and sold out of SC? Again, seems a little fluffy but maybe I'm wrong.
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I thought the reason that you'd name a company based on geographic location is because you have pride in your area/region? So WCD rigs are built in the UK and sold out of SC? Again, seems a little fluffy but maybe I'm wrong.
He's just adapting to the ever shifting sands of legal landscape

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 28th, 2014, 01:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
He's just adapting to the ever shifting sands of legal landscape
Yeah, really can't blame him for that.

Should change the name to World Coast Defenders (or something). It would cover all his locations and give a broader/bigger view. I just think of Jessie James, Ryan Freidinghaus and Discovery channel type builds when I see West Coast in a company name.
Old May 28th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
I just think of Jessie James, Ryan Freidinghaus and Discovery channel type builds when I see West Coast in a company name.
Maybe that's what he wants
Old May 28th, 2014, 01:16 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, really can't blame him for that.

Should change the name to World Coast Defenders (or something).
Or Whichever Coast Defenders or Wherever Coast Defenders

haha
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:16 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Or Whichever Coast Defenders or Wherever Coast Defenders haha
Bahahahahhahaha
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1st View Post
Doesn't take much to have an editorial done on your company. Just mail a check.
Its easier than that. Send food and drink.....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 28th, 2014, 07:29 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
Maybe that's what he wants
Maybe - and believe me, I watched a bunch of the West Coast Customs and Monster Garage/Jessie James shows and enjoyed them for what they were but just seems the West Coast naming is a little tracked out.
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:32 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wanker Coast Defenders?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 29th, 2014, 07:15 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
They buy solid US based Defenders and send them to the UK for refinishing? Sounds like a new trick CBP would be furious about.

Old May 29th, 2014, 07:47 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
They buy solid US based Defenders and send them to the UK for refinishing? Sounds like a new trick CBP would be furious about.
Sounds like $5000 in shipping before you even start wrenching on the vehicle.

And let's face it; CBP would take one look at a 'puma built' NAS and snatch it right up all the same, vin or no vin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat