Winterizing a Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Andrew_R
Andrew Regan
1985 Defender 110

Winterizing a Defender

Hi all, I am soon to experience a real winter in the upstate NY, and New England areas and want to remain mobile and reliable. Any advice/tips and tricks on winterizing a Defender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:50 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Welcome. Search will be your friend. Searching "winterizing" brings up a great thread you'll want to give a read through.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40764

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
1. fill the gas tank and use some gas stabilizer like Stabil. run the engine for a few minutes so that the stabilizer gets into the lines
2. put out some mouse traps as they can do a bit of damage. don't put the mouse traps inside the truck. But put a cardboard box on the floor somewhere. Any mice will use that first.
3. remove the battery and hook it up to a battery tender
4. change the oil in the engine if it is not fresh and run it for 5-10 minutes after the change. Pull the fuel pump fuse and run it until it dies to get the gas out of the lines.
5. use an oil treatment in the engine like Lucas oil treatment (not related to our electronics)
6. You can put your truck up on axle stands to keep the tires off the ground
7. WD40 everything - probably not much value in that but some feel it puts a protective cover on everything.
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:58 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_R View Post
Hi all, I am soon to experience a real winter in the upstate NY, and New England areas and want to remain mobile and reliable. Any advice/tips and tricks on winterizing a Defender.
Yeah ... Use it daily, rinse it underneath from time to time.

Some people on here think it will dissolve into the first salty puddle you splash in ... Not true!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Andrew_R
Andrew Regan
1985 Defender 110

That's what I was looking for. Surprised nobody mentioned tire chains.
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Josh. I think he is asking for the opposite of what your are suggesting. The way I interpret it, winterizing means preparing the vehicle so that you can drive it in winter.(insulate, add block heater, etc). Your link suggests what to do when not driving it in the winter. Not picking on you, buddy, just trying to clarify. Long term storage is not winterizing as I understand it.
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Andrew_R
Andrew Regan
1985 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Josh. I think he is asking for the opposite of what your are suggesting. The way I interpret it, winterizing means preparing the vehicle so that you can drive it in winter.(insulate, add block heater, etc). Your link suggests what to do when not driving it in the winter. Not picking on you, buddy, just trying to clarify. Long term storage is not winterizing as I understand it.
Yes. Is cold starting in subzero temps doable without a block heater?
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I figured you meant reliable after storing. If it's a 1985 it's probably already rusted to pieces. If not, and you plan on always driving it all winter, every winter, then consider having the truck properly prepared and waxoyled - search waxoyl for a ton of threads on it - from do it yourself to having a garage do it for you.
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:07 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Quote:

Yes it is. When I lived in alaska I would have it warmed with the block heater at home in the morning, but after work when it was still in the single digits or below it would start right up. Didn't have a plug in the work parking lot

It was still fun to drive in the winter, but I had insulated my fiberglass HT and had a drop curtain.

Good luck
Jay
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:27 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Of course. It's a land rover not a case of ED!
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Cold starts without block heater is doable but far from ideal. Very cold starts wears on the engine quite a bit. Do you have a V8? My 300tdi is reliable but doesn't like cold starts. I have a heated fuel filter and I am in the process of getting a Webasto. A block heater or similar would be the first on my list.

I did Waxoyl on mine so I have lots of tips if its a direction you're serious about. Also get a boot kit for the rear tail lamps and make sure to have marine type waterproof wiring in the rear. Ice and slush will build up in the rear wheel wells and create endless electrical issues if the wiring was done poorly to begin with.

I used a reflective bubble wrap material for insulating roof and doors. Dynamat everywhere as well. Chains are nice to have for deep snow but you'll get quite far on a set of AT tires.
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
In texas we roll the windows up.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:31 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Besides the block heater I'd get a drop curtain to help the heater heat the cabin. Check that the heater and blower are working strong.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:34 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm in the process of doing the GM blower motor upgrade...this *hopefully* will be a nice "winterizing" move for the 90. I'll let you know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2462.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	62598  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 11th, 2012, 12:41 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I'm in the process of doing the GM blower motor upgrade...this *hopefully* will be a nice "winterizing" move for the 90. I'll let you know how it goes.
would like to see photos of that it
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
would like to see photos of that it
Will do, I'll start a thread maybe in the smaller projects section and post a link here...right now both blowers are on the bench so I'll skip the "wing dis-assembly" portion of it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I installed SW doors a few years ago and that was the best winterizing move I have ever made. Yesterday morning it was -12F here and truck was nice and toasty; really helps having a garage. I have an Art Vigil drop curtain I will sale for $125 plus shipping if interested. Can post pics later.........
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
It does not get super cold here but on the days when it is down near zero I find that if I go out at lunch and drive it around for a few minutes it makes it easier to start at the end of work. I have a garage at home.
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Andrew_R
Andrew Regan
1985 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Welcome. Search will be your friend. Searching "winterizing" brings up a great thread you'll want to give a read through.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40764
How embarrassing! I didn't read the first response. I did utilize the search function and I kept reading a post about catching mice? I probably should have rephrased and mentioned that I DO plan on driving in the winter up north. Whenever it gets here that is...

Thanks for all the good responses. The blower is a pretty good idea but maybe a little out of my reach.

------ Follow up post added December 11th, 2012 08:41 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoseno View Post
I installed SW doors a few years ago and that was the best winterizing move I have ever made. Yesterday morning it was -12F here and truck was nice and toasty; really helps having a garage. I have an Art Vigil drop curtain I will sale for $125 plus shipping if interested. Can post pics later.........
Thanks for the offer! I'm thinking about it. Spent a little time in NM and was floored by the weather. They actually mean the phrase: "don't like the weather wait 5 minutes."
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
Art Vigil drop curtain I will sale for $125 plus shipping if interested.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001 (2).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	62652
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:34 PM
db123
Dan Berry
None

Hi guys, new to the forum but just went through the winterizing process up here in Calgary, Canada for my '97 D110 with 300TDI.

The best piece of kit for winter driving (or attempting winter starting) is a diesel powered coolant heater, luckily my Defender was originally from Germany and the original owner had installed a Webasto. Turning this on for 20 mins increases my block temperature from -25C to +40C (according my my Engine Watchdog).

As for seasonal winterizing, I have a vinyl grille cover that I zip-tie on to the original grille (KBX in the summer), and a snow cowl to stop the heater intake from getting clogged with snow.

I also ran a power cord into my battery compartment to use as a hub - plugging that in now powers 1) Oil Pan Heater, 2) Battery Heater, and 3) Cabin Heater.

I have the following for those:
1) Canadian Polar Pad: Canadian Polar Pad
2) Battery Warmer: Temro 80W Battery Warmer | Canadian Tire
3) Zerostart Little Buddy Interior Warmer: http://www.amazon.ca/Zerostart-260-0.../dp/B000NM73ZA

A combination of all of these means that I never have to worry about starting a cold defender in the winter! Assuming I'm close by a power outlet...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender