Windscreen ideas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Windscreen ideas

OK I want to fold down or take off the windscreen, but I have a slight problem. The State inspection sticker is stuck on the windscreen, so if I take it off then I can be pulled over for driving an uninspected vehicle. So if I could fold it down then I would still have an inspection sticker, but the roll cage is in the way! So other then caring the windscreen around in the back (not really a good idea) or trying to peel off the already faded and dying sticker and putting it on a sheet of plexy glass then bolt it to the cage, does anyone else have any good ideas?

The reason, I really don't feel I am getting enough mud on myself when I'm out wheeling. And if I remove the windscreen I have calculated that I can increase my mud coverage by at least 50%.

I posted in misc because I am sure there will be only a small amount of replies that actually have tech content.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Mike have you ever seeked professional help?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Mike, although I don't have any suggestions to help you with your windshield issues, can I have first dibs on your windshield wiper motors if they are perfectly working? Would trade you a nice pair of goggles for the motor....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:34 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
If you can get them off way not laminate them and epoxy them to the front roll bar?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:35 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

HMMMM ahhhh no, they always seem to have questions, when I would think they would be giving me the answers. Although your not the first to ask! And Dave Marchand thought I should be committed to a mental hospital, but he drives a SW so he wouldn't know.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:38 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
How about making them into some kind of front grill badge? Does the law state they have to be in a certain location on the turck?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto
Mike, although I don't have any suggestions to help you with your windshield issues, can I have first dibs on your windshield wiper motors if they are perfectly working? Would trade you a nice pair of goggles for the motor....
Sorry Glenn,I plan on keeping them to wipe off my glasses, I just need to reaim the washer nozzles. That and to "legally" pass inspection you need them, but you don't need a wind screen.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:39 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Go to the DMV or whatever and get a new sticker. Just tell them your windshield broke and you need a new sticker, and stick it on your roll bar. How hard is that????
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Sandwich it between two pieces of plexy and run some silicon around the edge.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
How about making them into some kind of front grill badge? Does the law state they have to be in a certain location on the turck?
I think they need to be in the middle of the windscreen just under the rear view mirror. I am going to have to look into removing it, they do give us new stickers every year, but they are made so you cannot transfer them from car to car. The worst part is this years color is PINK!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Go to the DMV or whatever and get a new sticker. Just tell them your windshield broke and you need a new sticker, and stick it on your roll bar. How hard is that????
Well the DMV doesn't issue them, the inspection station that inspects your car does, they allso have to put the sticker on, I guess I need to talk with the DMV or go to a shady inspection station. HHHHHMM
Old July 2nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Doesn’t the registration show that the inspection been done???? I mean if you have a valid plates and registration that proves that your truck passed inspection right? Just take the windshield off and enjoy. I'll be doing that soon myself.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nope, the registration here shows you registered your vehical this year, the sticker shows that you passed the state inspection, you can be registered but not be inspected, the cops around here let me get away with ALOT! But this would be pushing it.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Nope, the registration here shows you registered your vehical this year, the sticker shows that you passed the state inspection, you can be registered but not be inspected, the cops around here let me get away with ALOT! But this would be pushing it.
You east coasters have issues. Good thing we don't have that stuff here in CO. You get your emission done every two years. Valid plates = passed emissions.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
Mike have you ever seeked professional help?
Richard, I think we all need to seek professional help. Just look at how much $$ we spent on our trucks
Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:57 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

take a piece of plexi in the lower corner of your empty windscreen and put the sticker. Situation solved.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:07 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

How about taking the lower bar around the frame off folding the windshield flat then put the bar back. Or do the same as above but with a bar that's bent to fit. Even better mount the windshield flat above your head to the cage. Instant sunroof.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:32 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm Tyler I'm going to have to take a look at it in the AM! I like the plexi idea I am going to have to do something!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:07 AM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Mike, are you planning on going on trips with the windshield off? Like Paragon or Rausch? If so then be ready to be pulled over and hassled. I know a few people from a local Jeep club that have gotten tickets in PA for not having doors on their Jeeps. Most of which were thrown out in court but, they still had to go through the hassle of getting pulled over, getting a ticket, and going to court to get it taken care of. More trouble then it's worth if you ask me..

As for the sticker placement, go to get another inspection without the windshied, bring a piece of thin lexon plastic that bends, if the inspector passes you without the windshield (probably won't) then have them put it onto the lexon. Then slap some two sided tape onto the back of it, wrap it around the roll bar in the spot closest to where it should be on the window, and then zip-tie each end. Of course the first watery mud hole you hit the sticker will get wet and fall apart. Only way around that is to sandwich it like someone else mentioned before. Or you could just tell the cop that your windshield broke and you will have a new sticker put on when you get the new windshield.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:17 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

HMMM, I have been down to Penn and VA and never been pulled over for no doors, I guess I have been lucky. Up here they look at the door thing like; well he is alot safer then if he was on a motorcycle, and it's easier to see if I have a seatbelt on. For trips I may have to do something about the door problem you guys have.

I think I'll call the DMV on Tuesday and ask what is legal and what is not.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:11 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, you could also just remove the front part of the roll cage then you can fold down the winshield. there are 4 bolts in each front fender and 1 on each bar that runs above the doors. You can then just slide if forward and out. Wala...
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:58 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Hey Mike, to get the sticker off of my old windshield when I swapped to a heated one. I just used a tea kettle. Let it steam up really well and then steam the sticker. It will come off in no time. And you'll be able to reapply easily...

And yes, your crazy. McLean is right down the street from me and I'm waiting for the call from you, when they commit you...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat