Windscreen ideas - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 3rd, 2004, 09:52 AM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

or you could just move to florida and not worry about any inspeection sticker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Mike,

Not to be a buzzkill, but check your state regs before removing the window. Many states have laws requiring the window to be upright (and installed) to be considered street legal. I've known Jeep owners who have been stopped for having a folded window.

If you're looking for more mud, though, perhaps the following might help. Mud skiing: ride behind friends truck while being pulled by tow strap. Works great in rain slicked muddy field. You get sprayed by the truck and get splashed in mud holes.
Old July 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Mike,

Not to be a buzzkill, but check your state regs before removing the window. Many states have laws requiring the window to be upright (and installed) to be considered street legal. I've known Jeep owners who have been stopped for having a folded window.

If you're looking for more mud, though, perhaps the following might help. Mud skiing: ride behind friends truck while being pulled by tow strap. Works great in rain slicked muddy field. You get sprayed by the truck and get splashed in mud holes.
Well, I know a few guys with Jeeps that fold down andthey don't get pulled over. Here in NH they only rerquier you to have some type of eye protection, other then that they really could care less about the windows.

As for the Mud skiing, well I think I'll pass, I like to be the one driving, and we kinda do the same thing over here during the winter in a snow filled parking lot, fun until you smash into the ground.

I don'tknow about the Florida thing, isn't it a bit hot and humid down there?

Dave I think I'll try the steam Idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Alright! Windscreen off! Boy is it windy with it off! If you have driven with the top off at 85mph then you know what it is like to drive with the windscreen off at 40mph.

Easy to remove, one thing I forgot was the wires for the curtisy light, they run up the drivers side window frame, and there is a connector 1/2 way up the window.

The sticker problem, well I did as some suggested and mounted it up on the roll cage using some angle aluminum, and a small piece of plexi glass. I thought about what Dave said and just waited for it to rain then the sticker just pulled off, why I was worried is it has cuts in it like you see on some price tags, so you can't peel it off.

Don't worry about me driving through states that don't like it, it is very windy, not very highway friendly. But on the brighter side it is awsome at slow speed! Even at 5mph it gives you a nice cooling breeze, so as long as you are moving on the trail you are good. Oh yeah it feels real odd when it rains.
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:29 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Sooooo not right!!!
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Let's see some pics of that sucker, Mike....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

ok in the AM a little dark right now, I think I get to drive to work in the rain.
Old July 6th, 2004, 11:43 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

LOL

I bet you are getting better mileage without it.

Ron
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ron, I'll have to keep track of my mileage, with luck it will go from realy bad to just bad.

Oh and a pic from the front, I think it looks odd without the window but I have never seen one without a windscreen.
Edit: having the rear veiw mirror mounted up that high sucks! It should be at eye level so it looks back and not down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-012Ss.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	977  
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I like it!

In one of my more delusional moments I considered removing the cage and folding the windscreen so I could fit in parking garages. Then it occured to me that the head rests (and MY HEAD) might still hit the roof of the parking garage!

Ron
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL good point on the hole head thing, although you could remove the headrest and duck. How high is your 90? I think the top of the snorkel is only 7 foot or so, most parking garages around here are more then that. But I wouldn't feel safe with out the cage, even if it only helps a little that is much better then nothing in my book.
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij

The garages in downtown Phila are often less than 6ft. Mine is only 2in higher than stock (well plus lights).

No cage would not bother me.
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you get to the point where you have to have a windshield to comply with someone's regs, you could get a cheap one from RDS and cut it down to only a few inches tall - kind of like old racing screens. Just cut the posts and have a glass hop cut down the windshield a polish the edge.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I'm at a lost for words....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Ron, I'll have to keep track of my mileage, with luck it will go from realy bad to just bad.

Oh and a pic from the front, I think it looks odd without the window but I have never seen one without a windscreen.
Edit: having the rear veiw mirror mounted up that high sucks! It should be at eye level so it looks back and not down.

Old July 6th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
If you get to the point where you have to have a windshield to comply with someone's regs, you could get a cheap one from RDS and cut it down to only a few inches tall - kind of like old racing screens. Just cut the posts and have a glass hop cut down the windshield a polish the edge.
HMMM, I kinda like the idea, but I think I could make it better! I could get some chicken wire/ expanded metal and use it as a screen across the front roll cage, kinda like heavy equipment uses! Like this

http://www.defendersource.com/mod/door.html

Just kidding. But I do need some better eye protection! The wind is real annoying coming up under my glasses.
Old July 6th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

You could stop buy your local Harley shop and pick up a set of WWII style bomber goggles and one of those ear flap leather bomber hats to go with them..
Old July 6th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Mike...Problem Solved!

Buy an old Series truck. Register it with antique plates and whalah! No inspection required and you do not have to display the city sticker. There is a fella down here that runs his truck like that all year. Mostly legal too....

Troy
Old July 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric N
You could stop buy your local Harley shop and pick up a set of WWII style bomber goggles and one of those ear flap leather bomber hats to go with them..
Hmmm, no not quiet my style

And Troy, well almost. In NH you have to pass inspection if you want to go on the highway, otherwise you need to register as farm equipment, that wouldn't be too cool as I would need one of Dave's orange triangles to hang on the back, and I would be limited to about 30mph max speed.
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK, it's back on. Turns out driving in the rain at +50mph kinda hurts, that and I have a hard enough time getting passengers with the windscreen, I don't think anyone will ride in it without. I did manage to get an extra 10 miles out of my last tank of gas.

THANKS for all the ideas gang!
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
That's too bad Mike, I just found the perfect T-Shirt for you when you wheel in the mud with the windscreen off.... Might help you get female passengers too....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...506073652&rd=1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat