winches and witches - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Talking winches and witches

i was debating getting a 16.5ti Thermometric winch (beefy mutha fuqa) after my 9500lb-er couldnt get me up a hill, im pissed...is that over the top or reasonable?

granted 9500lb-er's a little old but still...im fascinated by this 16.5ti winch thoughts?
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Personally, I would not even consider it. My 9000 does just fine, you can always use a tackle, it does not fit a lot of bumpers and why they heck would you want a 140lb winch on the front of your truck! Overkill to the extreme.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Why couldn't your winch get you up a hill? I'd say something is wrong with it that you could service instead of pitching it.
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2008, 11:06 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Buddy has one on the front of his RRC to pull ambulances out of ditches. Its slightly overkill. 9K is fine for a 90.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:25 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

ya mine is probably just too old i need to get a new one maybe a 12000 or just a new 9500....and i dont know why it would get me up the hill it just wasnt powerful enough.....i had to back down this nasty hill with a nasty bend and it was muddy by the way....started sliding backwards, nothing i could do was just sliding backwards toward cliff....scariest moment of my life...but for some reason, no exaggeration the car stopped 9 and 3/4 inches (i measured) from the drop off, and im talking tire, not back of car...i didnt go off roading for another year after that shit...it was b/c my tires were caked in mud and just started sliding down hill i push break, nothing, thought i was a gone-er .. ~35 ft drop off
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:47 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Most times I've seen a electric winch act under powered it was due to the electrical system in the truck... usually a bad or too small battery, something like that.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

What about a 10.5 or other in between model?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You can put a new updated motor on your existing winch. Search google and ebay, tons of links.

Were you using a snatch block or just winching from the first wrap?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Every so often there is some talk of this, so I'll throw it out again.

Anyone ever see a PTO anymore? A Defender - especially with a watertight diesel - seems like the perfect rig for one.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Did you use a snatch block? That doubles the power of your winch. 9k is plenty of power for a defender, if rigged and operated properly. We regularly get them sunk past the axles in mud down here in the everglades , and a 9k winch always does the trick.
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:09 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

nah didnt use snatch block need to get one...
didnt even think of that shit
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:13 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Along with the pulley block, you need to help the winch along (maybe you did) with just enough throttle so you can hear the load on the winch easing up just a bit. Also, if possible, you need to pay out the winchline (maybe you did) so there's one full layer of sythetic line or at least 5 wraps of wire rope around the drum. That is where the strength of the winch is and the more layers of line you wrap on the drum, the less pulling power the winch provides.

Old June 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
i was debating getting a 16.5ti Thermometric winch (beefy mutha fuqa) after my 9500lb-er couldnt get me up a hill, im pissed...is that over the top or reasonable?

granted 9500lb-er's a little old but still...im fascinated by this 16.5ti winch thoughts?
Keep in mind that the more cable left on the drum, the lower the actual rating of the winch as well. If your anchor point was close, you winch may have only had around half the actual capacity, as the extra cable effectively makes the drum's diameter larger, and reduces the mechanical advantage of the gearing. Winches are always rated with only a single layer of rope on the drum as a result.

Your 9.5 ti is only rated at 6,900 lbs on the fifth layer of cable (which still should have been enough from what you are describing), but is a sizable decrease in overall rating none-the-less.

For what it's worth, I thin the 16.5 is way overkill, and likely to be more trouble than help. A good 9K winch should be plenty for a Defender 90, IMHO.

What size and condition is the power cable to your solenoid pack, and to the motor (don't forget the ground!)? Did you run the ground back to the battery, or to the chassis? My guess is that your winch is starved for electrical power, the Battery is a long way away in a Defender. Try upgrading to some high quality 1/0 gauge welding cable (ground too!), and make sure the connections are all solid, with no corrosion!

This is probably overkill, but before I mounted up my XD9000, I replace the cables from the solenoids to the motor with 2 gauge welding cable (same gauge Warn supplied to run to the battery, and higher quality), an the power and ground with 1/0 gauge welding cable, both straight from the battery.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
winch