winch? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:35 AM

Hi, where are you finding your winches at? On the hunt for one and not sure where to start, been looking for one here and trying to read what is popular, new/used.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM
I'm actually selling mine - not buying. It's already spoken for but if sale falls through I'll let you know.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Good deals can be found on eBay.
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye
Warn winches are good and have been the standard for decades. the M8274 is a classic, very strong, fast and solid all around. Its pretty big. Can't go wrong with a Warn I guess, but as with most things stay away from their lowest line.

Superwinch/Husky are big strong beasts. they really have that Camel Trophy flavor to them. $$$, but you wont have any issues with them.

There seem to be lots of newer winch mfrs out there, probably some are really good, but beware lots of cheap winches (China clones) Harbor freight really cheap, but may not last for more than a season or few . . For extended use ofn an electrical use you might consider installing a second deepcycle battery and a switchover wincing/charging setup..

more pull the winch has, it will generally be slower. If its not slower it will draw alot more current. Wiring a winch properly takes alot of heavy cable. do it right, follow the MFR's instructions. no skimping.

Then there are winches that run off hydraulic pressure or even mechanical ones that run right off the transfercase. These will be harder to find and more $$ If your engine is not running, they dont work. but they can run for as long as your engine is running. Useful if you are doing utility things with the winch (Pulling logs, or something like this)

Synthetic line is lighter, safer and stronger than steel cable. So no matter what you do get a winch with synthetic rope not steel cable.

Ask yourself a few questions -what do you think you need it for? How often are you going to use it? Do you want to keep it simple, or do you not mind a more complex install.

"Yeah, make sure its a flatbed...."
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Tom Rowe
eBay, Craigslist, forums. As sources for buying one. I haven't bought a new winch since 1975.
I've bought one on eBay, 4 from Craigslist, one of which was pointed out on a forum.
I have Warn (3 8274's) Ramsey (Platinum 9000 and RE10000) and 2 Koenig PTO's.
I like them all, though I want to sell the Platinum 9000.
Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
I have a super winch 9000 if your interested
Defender 110
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks!!! the split charge system is next on the list when I decide where to relocate the batteries, currently looking into rear area with a second fuse box for extra electrical items like this.
planning ahead though winter is coming and it is to be a full time winter driver
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Brett Fritzler
1998 Discovery
I just recently bought a winch. I did a LOT of looking and researching. I was on a fixed budget so running out and buying the top of the line Warn was out of the question.
I had the following criteria:
-Less than $1000 for winch, synthetic rope, and fairlead; though I was aiming even lower
-Single contactor, aka Albright solenoid
-Decent line speed
-On the low side for Amp draw
-No intergrated solenoid permanently fixed on top of the winch
-No behemoth winches, some measure close to 26" wide!

These criteria helped wittle down my selection considerably yet it also made it more difficult to find one, if that makes sense. I was not against buying used. I was reading a lot on how the Superwinch EP9.0 was a great winch and how the Talon has pretty much replaced it. Finding a EP9.0 used was impossible and the Talon was too much after adding synthetic line.
The problem I ran into with most used winches was that they didn't have an Albright solenoid, synthetic line, or a hawse fairlead. So I was having to spend another $400+ to add those things myself. Most used winches were going for too much to make that an economical option.
Enter the Viking GS-9. I stumbled upon this while looking for winchline. When I read the specs and looked at the pics it appears that the GS-9 is a rebadged and modified Superwinch EP9.0.

I found the GS-9 on Ebay from Viking and got it sans line for $509 shipped, new.
I bought 3/8"x85' Master-Pull winchline with a tube thimble on Amazon for $230 shipped.
I splurged on a new Rokmen Big Hawse fairlead for about $80 shipped.
I sold the Viking fairlead that came with my winch for a profit of $45.
So all told I'm into the whole set up, brand new, for $775.

I had the chance to used the winch on Saturday a couple times and it pulled GREAT. I'm extremely pleased with the set up.

So take a look at the Viking GS-9.
Otherwise Ebay and Craigslist are good sources for used winches.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:24 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
If you have a series as your profile states, get a koenig PTO winch.
*not legal advice*
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander

The 8274 with a 6hp motor is the bees knees... fast, powerful I friggen love it.
warn, craigslist, ebay...its has been around so long it has a following and is very buildable

Husky... the true turtle of the race,
superwinch, get lucky, search internet, rare.. amazon?

But dam these days I might be tempted by one of those harbor freight chinese ones... get a 20-25% coupon and buy two or three.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat