Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Will your Car be HACKED?

Okay, not so much an issue for the Defenders we drive, but I'm sure most of us also drive vehicles that are or will be susceptible...

Cars: The next hacking frontier?

White Paper on the Experiment

Imagine the possibilities, when almost everything in the modern day vehicle is controlled by a computer, and now that some manufacturers are offering 'Wireless Internet Access' it will be that much easier for a hacker to lounge at StarBucks and compromise your ride..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Nice read, but think we have to worry about our cell phones getting hacked before this, and then likely our car infotainment systems before they go for this kind of thing (which required physical access to achieve anyway).
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Nice read, but think we have to worry about our cell phones getting hacked before this
Agreed, but our cell phones represent a target of higher interest, easier access, and greater gain to hackers right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
and then likely our car infotainment systems before they go for this kind of thing (which required physical access to achieve anyway).
Who's to say physical access is required now, or will be in the future. If the systems are all interconnected hackers may be able to use current Blue Tooth connectivity to gain control of vital systems, and certainly will have greater avenues of access to vehicles that are 'connected' with Mobile ISP service...

Its all an exercise to try to stress teh importance of building security into these systems before it becomes a problem, hopefully the manufacturers will take notice and it will never be a wide spread issue..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

I'm slowly turning into a tech-hating curmudgeon.

'Course it won't matter much after the machines take over.
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

If it was built, it can be reverse engineered. There's no getting around it, just slowing it down.

However, there needs to be some gain for the hacker to maliciously gain access (rather than just do it for a technical challenge) and there's not much to gain by attacking some random person's car.

This is different than your computer getting some sort of 'virus' if that's what you're implying...
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

None of my 3 Land Rovers have computers so I guess I'm OK.....
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
None of my 3 Land Rovers have computers so I guess I'm OK.....
But, your Honda appliance does!

Old September 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
This is different than your computer getting some sort of 'virus' if that's what you're implying...
I don't know if this was directed to me or not, but if it was, then no, not what I was implying, though that possibility would exist in the future as well, and could possibly have much more wide spread 'appeal' since it could be used to launch a 'Denial-of-Service' type attack against transportation resources..

Quote:
However, there needs to be some gain for the hacker to maliciously gain access (rather than just do it for a technical challenge) and there's not much to gain by attacking some random person's car.
Not currently, but in the future, who knows. And what about the bad guys looking to kidnap someone or the like. If they could roll up behind the vehicle, disbale the engine, and unlock the doors, that would make their deed that much easier for them.

Point is that there will be individuals that will find a way to exploit the 'ability' to do harm of one kind or another, particularly if it is made easy for them to do. Its not unlike any other technology that was devised for good, and someone found a way to do bad with it..

Old September 9th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

So then the hacker changes our fuel maps for a 4.6 instead of 3.9 :O

Robert Deniro
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Only if you are going slow in the fast lane
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:13 PM
tweak
Darich Runyan
'04 Disco

Quote:
Gain is a subjective attribute of the attacker, similar to intent. There is definitely much that could be gained both directly and indirectly from a large scale attack of this type, but the gain is dependent on your perspective. While we may see none, the attacker may see the mother lode.

Of course, this is all hypothetical right now, but so was the idea of flying planes into buildings on Sept. 10, 2001. As devices, cars included, become more interconnected we will see many more types of attacks that were only in the realm of sci-fi a few years ago.
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:38 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

You guys watch too much news

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac