Will they total this? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

Will they total this?

My wife was driving the 90 today when a guy in a Toyota tundra ran a stop sign and slammed her. She did a 360 and slammed the curb just missing a tree. The outside does not look that bad, door and quarter pannel, the underside is a different story. You may not be able to see from the pics but this is what I see:
Both rear springs shot out
rear drive shaft snapped in half (oil coming from the rear of the transfer case)
rear sway bar crunched
rear end broke
fuel tank crushed
both front swivel ball seals blew out
both schcks snapped in half
trailing arm snapped and bent the outrigger and possibily the frame
rear window on the hard top poped out of place and is now flopping around
all brackets bent/twisted
muffler and rear tailpipe shot
steering wheel bent
probably other things I am missing.
It was totaly his fault and his ins company is coming out to take a look at it but they said on the phone that it may be a total loss. Any tips on dealing with ins companies? They asked if I wanted to buy it back if it was totaled I said I might but wanted to know if you guys think they will total it. What do you think?
Just a few pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/byron.st...y=Oa-qhZPADEE#
Thanks for the advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Doesn't look totalled to me. Depends on alot of factors. Do you want it to be totalled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstraw
My wife was driving the 90 today when a guy in a Toyota tundra ran a stop sign and slammed her. She did a 360 and slammed the curb just missing a tree. The outside does not look that bad, door and quarter pannel, the underside is a different story. You may not be able to see from the pics but this is what I see:
Both rear springs shot out
rear drive shaft snapped in half (oil coming from the rear of the transfer case)
rear sway bar crunched
rear end broke
fuel tank crushed
both front swivel ball seals blew out
both schcks snapped in half
trailing arm snapped and bent the outrigger and possibily the frame
rear window on the hard top poped out of place and is now flopping around
all brackets bent/twisted
muffler and rear tailpipe shot
steering wheel bent
probably other things I am missing.
It was totaly his fault and his ins company is coming out to take a look at it but they said on the phone that it may be a total loss. Any tips on dealing with ins companies? They asked if I wanted to buy it back if it was totaled I said I might but wanted to know if you guys think they will total it. What do you think?
Just a few pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/byron.st...y=Oa-qhZPADEE#
Thanks for the advise.
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:38 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

not sure yet. i just really do not want chuck and larry's fix em all shop to do it. If it gets fixed I would want to do it myself, but I doubt they will let me do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I think they will total it.

If they decide to fix it you should be able to have it repaired at a shop of your choice or have them cut you a check and repair it as you see fit.

If you decide you no longer want it I would be intrested in buying it off you and giving you some extra money above the buy back. I am local so it would be an easy deal
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
in the past I have had ins. just cut me a check to go fix it as I pleased.

if their estimate is based on new axles etc and LRNA or RN prices etc then it could quickly add up. Not sure if they swap over but I just picked up a pair of disco axle assy's for $200.

additionally I have heard of cases where ins. co has tried to write off a vehicle and the owner said no way, we are fixing it.

ok that was a one owner 60's corvette. it was under 7 feet of muddy water for the better part of an afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstraw
not sure yet. i just really do not want chuck and larry's fix em all shop to do it. If it gets fixed I would want to do it myself, but I doubt they will let me do that.
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:55 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

Thats what I thought, it will add up quickly. I will fight if I have to to absolutely not have aftermarket "cheaper" parts put on it. Thanks for the offer Dave, I will let you know how it turns out.
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, I'm not sure how the law works in CO, but here in IL if the car is over 8 yrs old and you buy it back from the ins. company without ever relinquishing the title to them you can keep a clean title! I did that with an older BMW that I had a few years ago. I was able to fix it cheap because I know a body shop guy, so I was able to later sell it with a clean title.

Worth checking into because if you can do the work you would be able to actually make money on the deal. The trick on the other side is that if you want it fixed you can ask the body shop to underestimate the repair a little to prevent them from totaling it. Then when they start repairing it they go back to the ins. company and request more $$ to complete the job. Once they have sunk a bunch of cash into fixing it they will just bite the bullet and write a second check to the body shop. One of my friends did this with his BMW.

Follow-up Post:

Almost forgot...I will have a stock pair of trailing arms that I will sell you cheap as soon as I install the new Scorpion Racing offset ones that I have for my truck.
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Bring it straight to a dealership or ECR type of shop. Demand they either pay them to fix it or demand what you think is a fair price for them to let you own the truck as is. Dont back down, as much as a D90 is worth it is much less than what the insurance company will spend fighting you about the value. Go higher up the ladder of the isurance company if you have to. The first person you deal with is just a low paid adjuster, the second maybe an asst. manager and so on. The higher you go the more that person makes and it will seem like the money you are trying to get is not worth there time if you get high enough up the ladder. Start giving them comparible trucks for sale from the likes of Copley, or Park City and see what they think of then. Just remember, they want you to go away and not have to deal with you.

If it were me I would take the give me cash route and let me keep the truck.(total loss or not)If you were the insurance company what would you rather do, give you about 10 to 15K for the total loss or deal with a pesky owner and have the truck fixed for twice that? Just dont approach them like a Land Rover nut but as a savy business man and you might be very surprised what you come out with. Good luck and I am glad your wife was not seriously injured.
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
shamptonrover
jeffrey scannelli
1998 110tdi

insurance

be careful pushing them to total the truck, as most companies no longer give you the option on salvage, they deal with copart type companies that auction the salvage forthem, now if you dont care about the salvage then go ahead as they will try to total your truck as they know they will get 7 to 10k at auction for it, thus reducing their exposure. whatever you do dont tell the adjuster you are fixing the truck yourself, if he knows that he will reduce the labor rate as he doesnt have to pay shop prices, crazy i know but it happens everyday. i adjust tractors and trailers for my customers all the time, even when they are doing the repairs themselves so they get the full amount of the repair. insurance companies suck, they hate paying i fight with them everyday, we charge $110 per hour in the shop they want to pay us 50 dollars?? they try to tell me i have to give them a discount/? i ask why do you discount your rates? answer NO! ask the adjuster if it is totaled can you retain the salvage, he should be able to tell you on the spot good luck if you have any questions shoot me a pm and i will give youmy number
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I would go ahead and remove that rear wheel eyebrow so it doesn't crack or break. Those are hard to find in matte black, and if they replace it with a shiny one it won't look right. Looks fixable to me, but it probably looks different in person.

97 D90 SW
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Get a new galvinized frame and new suspesion out of this and you'll be better off!
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

Thanks for all of the quick reply's. She is soooooo lucky she was in the 90, our other car is an 01 Prius, and that would have just been bad. One good thing did come out of it, SHE LOVES THE ROVER NOW! So all of those, why do you need that, what have you been doing in the garage for 10 hours, etc. etc. days are long gone, well at least for today. I forgot, here is his truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Accident 008.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	16487  
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

It will be totaled. The frame is most likely damaged beyond repair (I wouldn't let them wrap chains around it and yank it anyway) and the suspension is expensive as hell. Your wife's accident is very similar to the one my LE had except when it hit the curb it flipped it over onto its side. Ended up being over $20,000 in repairs and that was without replacing the frame - which it needed. I would take it to the dealer and have their body people (or whoever they use) work with you on this. The initial amount may be low enough to keep it from being totaled and as someone said earlier you may be able to keep it going with supplements and have it done right. Never let them think you will fix it yourself (I think someone else already said that as well). If I had mine to do over again I would not have relented on sending the car to ECR and having it done properly. I would still have that D90 today if I had done that - it would probably have a salvage title but at least it would have been fixed correctly and I wouldn't have felt it necessary to trade it off for a loss.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Speaking from experience here, defender parts costs add up fast, so they will likely total it. If they do that, here's some tips to get the most from the situation:

1) search and search for the most expensive comparable trucks that you can find close to you. In my case (a few years ago), the local dealer was trying to sell a D-90 that was the same year as ours for 27,000. The insurance company wanted to give us around 22,000 for it, but when we showed this to them, they agreed to 27,000 for ours.

2) Definitely try to buy the truck back from the junkyard. We had the junkyard price out a totaled D-90 and partially due to lack of experience with LR's they practically gave us the truck at a cost of $3500.

3) If you have the means, rebuild it yourself. If you don't have the means, you can take the money and with a little bit of ingenuity and legwork, you can rebuild it to the way it was fairly cheap, or upgrade for not much more and likely still walk away with cash in your pocket for your time.

4) Our frame was bent beyond repair, but really there wasn't much other damage except for a few body panels (if you can believe that). For this reason, we needed to replace the frame. Because we were replacing the frame with a fully in-tact frame, we talked to the DMV to ask what would happen to the title. They said that because the truck was older than 10 years old, if we replaced the frame, they could give us a clean title after it was rebuilt.

So in the end, we'll end up with a rebuilt D-90 and clean title for about $15,000 (cost to buy back truck and pay for parts to rebuild it). With the extra money and some out of pocket, we bought another D-90. Essentially we ended up with 2 D-90's for the price of 1 1/2

Good luck with it, let me know if you have any questions.
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Monkeyboy

a) How's your wife?! Get thee to an appropriate physician and make sure she's okay first.

b) Hell, all I know is that my insurance company wanted to total my Ducati years ago for some scrapes on the rims and fork legs. I took the $$, made the repairs and rode the thing for amnother couple of years before selling it.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

My wife is ok, she is a little banged up and brused, but the physician said that there is nothing broken. She went to the hospital right after the accident. It was kinda strange that his insurance called us yesterday and was asking questions like, "well how long do you think you are going to be out of work," and "what do you do for a living." We answered most of the questions with, "this just happened, we have no idea." It was like they where prying for anything to hold aganst us later on. We are not by any means looking for something that is unfair, or trying to rip them off, but I thought some of there questions where a little out of line, let the girl rest for a day at least.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

First, hope your wife is OK and no issues there.

Second, they will likely total it as it needs frame work, and as LR no longer offers the frame for the NAS 90 (meaning you can't buy one at a dealer or find it in an active parts book) they usually use that as the key to write it off. You and I know you can get replacement frames, but once things fall outside the normal for the insurance industry they tend to not get very creative.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Another thing to consider is selling without totaling it for the maximum they will pay to repair it. This way you keep the clear title and no inspection.

The T-case, axles, suspension etc. can all be found for cheap out of a disco I. Check craigslist for a non-runner for 800 in your area.
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

Well the adjuster is going to look at it as I am typing this, so wish me luck. I will post an update as soon as I hear something. Thanks to everyone for the great advise.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

So, what did they have to say?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat