Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 4th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
WIFI adjustable/dimmable light bulbs

I have slowly been systematically changing all the florescent and incadescent bulbs I have to LED.

Hoping for a major drop in the shop lighting bill, damn ballasts are essentially throwing money away.
Running $200 a month just in lighting cost.

I was wondering if anyone here has played with the smartphone tablet adjustable lighting yet ?
You can adjust the warmth of the lighting as well as the brightness, from your phone or a dedicated remote.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...f-remote/1795/

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2016, 01:46 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
My friends have theirs all tied in through their Honeywell smart home controller or whatever they use. We were all at a party recently and the wife went into the app after talking to the babysitter over the phone (who'd said all the kids were asleep) and she could see which bedrooms still had their lights on/off so she "knew" if the kids were in fact asleep or still awake or not, she turned off other rooms in the house that the kids had left on, dimmed the entry, etc. all from the app and about 20 minutes away from their home. Seemed pretty cool.
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
If you're looking for ideas, I want to remind you that Briggs is permanently unemployed, entertaining, and available for birthdays, bar mitzvahs and for-hire light switch operations.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2016, 01:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I am waiting for another generation before buying. A lot of my rooms have one switch only which is annoying.
Old February 4th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
My friends have theirs all tied in through their Honeywell smart home controller or whatever they use. We were all at a party recently and the wife went into the app after talking to the babysitter over the phone (who'd said all the kids were asleep) and she could see which bedrooms still had their lights on/off so she "knew" if the kids were in fact asleep or still awake or not, she turned off other rooms in the house that the kids had left on, dimmed the entry, etc. all from the app and about 20 minutes away from their home. Seemed pretty cool.
Sounds very cool, but would freak out the babysitter. That's horror movie stuff there.

I dont have/havent gone to wifi thermostats etc just because my internet is via a 4g data card and I take it with me when I travel. I do like the idea of wifi bulbs though. As it was explained to me wall dimmer switches essentially send power to ground which is why they get hot. It would be nice to simply lower demand @ the bulb and get rid of wall mounted dimmers.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 4th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
As it was explained to me wall dimmer switches essentially send power to ground which is why they get hot. It would be nice to simply lower demand @ the bulb and get rid of wall mounted dimmers.
Modern dimmers don't do that and don't consume power.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 4th, 2016, 03:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Sounds very cool, but would freak out the babysitter. That's horror movie stuff there.

I dont have/havent gone to wifi thermostats etc just because my internet is via a 4g data card and I take it with me when I travel. I do like the idea of wifi bulbs though. As it was explained to me wall dimmer switches essentially send power to ground which is why they get hot. It would be nice to simply lower demand @ the bulb and get rid of wall mounted dimmers.
I am addicted to Nest thermostats. I have 5.
Old February 4th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
I have slowly been systematically changing all the florescent and incadescent bulbs I have to LED.

Hoping for a major drop in the shop lighting bill, damn ballasts are essentially throwing money away.

I was wondering if anyone here has played with the smartphone tablet adjustable lighting yet ?
You can adjust the warmth of the lighting as well as the brightness, from your phone or a dedicated remote.

Oshin replaced the entire shop with these and loves it ( not wifi compatible , but also half the price

For wifi, I have HUE at the house and like it a lot

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/15...siEaAgfO8P8HAQ
Old February 4th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
FYI regular LED light bulbs are significantly cheaper at IKEA.
Old February 4th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Be very wary of mystery brand LEDs.... Usually low quality and high failure rates. Nevermind what the crap power supplies are emitting.

As far as Ikea, note they have no warranty on the bulbs... I know as I've had them fail. 10 year warranty on most Cree.

Old February 4th, 2016, 06:06 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Ive been slowly but surely switching over to HomeBrite LEDs from Feit Electric. They are bluetooth so it wouldn't matter if you took your wifi with you or not. You can pick them up at Home Depot for around $14 each. They have a few different styles and sizes available and the app to control them is a free download. It works well for me since you can set up various bulbs to turn on and off at different intervals and you can dim them right from the app. The only downside I can see is that you can't operate them when you are out of bluetooth range. In that instance, the schedules you set still work.
Old February 4th, 2016, 07:01 PM
toddw
Todd
Range Rover L405 Supercharged

Registry
Quote:

I would not buy the individual wifi led bulbs but would replace all your bulbs with led. I really like the products from Connected Home Products for Your iOS Device | iDevices They use Apple's home kit. (Apple HomeKit technology provides an easy and secure way to control your home's lights, thermostats, and more. Control your iDevices connected home products by using Siri on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.)

I currently have lamps and a Bunn coffee pot on their switch and it works perfectly. I have the bunn pour over switch programmed for 5am-7am. Or I can say hey siri turn the coffee pot on/off or hey siri turn the lamps on in the living room. They are releasing a wall switch soon. I would wait and buy this iDevices Strengthens Its Market Leadership with the Announcement of Four New Connected Home Products
Old February 4th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

FYI, while Cree seems to be the best brand out there according to some, avoid, yes you guessed it, their Home Depot variety.
Old February 4th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
FYI regular LED light bulbs are significantly cheaper at IKEA.
Do you have to assemble the bulbs at home with the special included Ikea tool?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 5th, 2016, 03:34 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

So a couple things things to consider.. If you set your whole house up with wifi led bulbs each one is going to have their own ip and is going to crush your wifi. Not to mention they are pricey. Regular led bulbs are pretty affordable now and you get the wifi functionality off the switches. I found that setup to be far more flexible and switches can use rf or create their own mini wifi network using each switch as a repeater. Check out the insteon system. At first I tried the Phillips hue products and I ran into issues with range and limited choice in bulbs. Another annoyance with wifi bulbs is the switch has to be powered on for you to turn the light off and on via the app. What inevitably happens is someone walks through the house and turns a switch off and screws you up in the app. Also wifi switches really help if you want to add a switch to a room since you don't need a common wire to make them work like a traditional two or three way circuit. Plus with an insteon system you can add sprinklers, nest, cameras, flood sensors and other stuff.
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I have had Many Home Automation systems installed for my clients. The newer systems are better but have to be hard wired. The Wifi and digital remotes are crap. The failure rate it too high right now. They are getting better but you still need a high degree of computer knowledge to run the system properly and they really don't seem to save any money. However they do allow you to sit on your ass much longer since you don't have to get up to turn off a light or check on the kids.
The LED's are the way to go but are very expensive right now. I have not seen any reports on how much money they are actually saving. I would hope that it would be a lot but it is only claims by the manufactures right now. If you want a dim-able LED make sure that is what you purchase since not all of them can do that with out a high failure rate. You also need to make sure the Lumen output is what you are after.
Old February 5th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I am addicted to Nest thermostats. I have 5.
Ron, check with your power company. I have 2 Nest Thermostats and I got $80 each refund from Orange and Rockland Electric.

I also went crazy with this home automation stuff and just like modding a defender, it's a slippery slope. I replaced all outside lights to the GE wifi led bulbs:

this one
and this one

I also got into the Philips Hue bulb craziness. All controlled via Wink which I have both a hub and a couple of relays. The Wink also controls door and window sensors just like an alarm system.

My name is Glenn and I'm addicted to this crap

Old February 5th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

In general, can most of these products be control by multiple devices or are they singe device dependent?
Old February 5th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
4’ LED Shop Light with Pull Chain, 2-pack

Old February 5th, 2016, 03:44 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

I have a switch....

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht