Why the non-NAS defender market is not necessarily a great idea - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 7th, 2016, 03:35 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
OK, hit the brakes.

Go back and re-read my statement:

This is verbatim what I said. It is a 100% accurate statement.

Now, I understand the frustration, and truth be told, there was a time when I used to feel the same way. But now, I guess I just don't see it as that big a deal anymore. I know the difference between the vehicle models, and that's all that really matters.

The Defender is just "the Land Rover", and it would still go by that name formally if the company had not wanted to create a separate and distinct monicker to market the vehicle as an individual model under Land Rover's brand name. The Defender is a direct descendant of the original Land Rover from 1948, in the same manner as the Series II, IIA, & III were also descendants. To simply things, maybe it would be better if we referred to the Defender as the Series IV! Come to think of it, you'll realize that the Series I wasn't called the Series I until the Series II debuted. Do you take offense to a Series I being called a "Series" instead of by it's given name, simply the "Land Rover"? I would surely hope not!

The Defender and all of its predecessors were manufactured in the same place and in the same manner as the original Land Rover. And, despite the variations in the evolution of the line, I've found it quite common to hear all of the models referred to as Defenders. Why? Because it's also how Land Rover as a company currently identifies the vehicles to the media.

At any rate, what we call them really doesn't matter in the great scheme of things. Call them Land Rovers, Defenders, Series, etc. whatever floats your boat!.........just so long as you don't call them Jeeps.
For the record, I was just referring to all of the "Rover talk" in general about 1948 in lieu of 1983...not any of your statements specifically .

But *technically* there were plenty of Series trucks manufactured specifically to be sold for the North American market (NADA)...so from a math standpoint you'd probably want to/have to roll those Series trucks in with the ".04% of the 2,000,000+ Land Rovers manufactured since 1948" calculations.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
But *technically* there were plenty of Series trucks manufactured specifically to be sold for the North American market (NADA)...so from a math standpoint you'd probably want to/have to roll those Series trucks in with the ".04% of the 2,000,000+ Land Rovers manufactured since 1948" calculations.
Jason, I suppose I could have sir. But, honestly, who has the time!

No worries though, I made certain to qualify the percentage, 0.04%, by indicating the NAS production years that I utilized in my calculation (1993-1997). So, I'm covered!

By the way, here is a bit of Land Rover trivia for everyone:

What part is specific to ONLY NADA Series Land Rovers (i.e., pre-1975) and was NOT used by Land Rover on its vehicles in any other market worldwide?

(Cue the Jeopardy theme!) :whistling

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:46 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Jason, I suppose I could have sir. But, honestly, who has the time!

What part is specific to ONLY NADA Series Land Rovers (i.e., pre-1975) and was NOT used by Land Rover on its vehicles in any other market worldwide?

(Cue the Jeopardy theme!) :whistling

Isn't it that funky air intake thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

True, Defender is presently the latest development of the Land-Rover. Why have I posted this?
Well none of you are spelling Land-Rover correctly (with the hyphen). That's what the diagonal is on the Logo's.
Land-Rover used to spell it this way and dropped it for some reason.
Eric.
Old February 7th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle View Post
Isn't it that funky air intake thing?
Nope. Keep guessing.

Quote:
Old February 7th, 2016, 09:51 PM
hobo chic
not you

Import defender???

Well as an owner of a true RHD (meaning the way it was designed from the start and not altered to fit the LHD market) Land Rover I see great value in these vehicles. As for the constant supply of future imports, you will be sad to hear that in the rest of the world a Land Rover is used, and I mean Used. Most are beyond saving and with the ever tightening of European emissions laws, fuel cost and high insurance premiums there will be fewer and fewer. The main reasons for this are the European buyback schemes where they are recycling in huge numbers older vehicles especially Land Rovers.
It has become very unpopular to own and drive these large ,in European minds, fuel monsters.
Add on to that the months of work and thousands of dollars spent to get them legally into the country and the huge cost of restoration. I am speaking from experience not internet search history. If you think having a full service preformed on you new car is expensive try restoring a vehicle that was not made in this country.
Anyone who takes on the task of restoring and preserving a Land Rover deserves respect and gratitude from those of us that enjoy theses vehicles.
It is very short sighted and uninformed to think there will always be another one. The Idea that a RHD is less valuable or desirable is beyond me. Defenders are far and few between, every one gets noticed and admired and take it from me when people see that it's RHD they get a much bigger kick out of it. 16 countries in every seasons every possible weather and situation and everyone always gives big smiles and thumbs-up.
So please don't discourage owning a RHD Land Rover, for me it is the only way to have one.
It's like drive ing a Porsche thats an automatic. You might as well be sitting at home in a lazy-boy.
Old February 7th, 2016, 09:59 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
The defender was not altered to fit the LHD market...Neither was its Series predecessor...they were built to be sold world wide... Go look at the bulkhead in your "true" RHD..you might notice some cut outs on the "wrong side".....sorry the market and demand for RHD in the US is limited.. having just done a tour in Solihull i watched what seemed like the majority of the last defenders roll off the assembly line and they were LHD.
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
The defender was not altered to fit the LHD market...Neither was its Series predecessor...they were built to be sold world wide... Go look at the bulkhead in your "true" RHD..you might notice some cut outs on the "wrong side".....sorry the market and demand for RHD in the US is limited.. having just done a tour in Solihull i watched what seemed like the majority of the last defenders roll off the assembly line and they were LHD.
John,

You, of all people, should know the answer to my trivia question!

Or, are you just letting everyone else have a sporting chance?

Quote:
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:10 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
I missed the question? Im half trying to watch this Super Bowl...these are your hometown boys.. aren't you watching?
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:15 PM
javelinadave
-
-

NAS number plate
Bulkhead removal bar
Factory roll cage
EPA Sticker

Am I close Will?
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:20 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Weslake-head 2.6 engine 6 pot petrol

Pre 74's had heated front windscreen glass

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
NAS number plate
Bulkhead removal bar
Factory roll cage
EPA Sticker

Am I close Will?
Horseshoes and hand grenades sir! Sorry, keep trying!

Think pre-1975.

------ Follow up post added February 7th, 2016 10:27 PM ------

Quote:
I missed the question? Im half trying to watch this Super Bowl...these are your hometown boys.. aren't you watching?
Yes, I've been watching! Cam is having a rough night, and our guests just left to go put their kids to bed (I just did the same with mine)! So, what better time to check-in here!

------ Follow up post added February 7th, 2016 10:28 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Weslake-head 2.6 engine 6 pot petrol
Good guess, but sorry, guess again!

Quote:
Old February 8th, 2016, 02:15 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Ok Will... Im going to "guess" 15" steel wheel.
Old February 8th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Ok Will... Im going to "guess" 15" steel wheel.
AND,....WE HAVE A WINNER!

Land Rover equipped all NADA Series trucks with 15" wheels, while all other markets worldwide utilized 16" wheels. Why? Because, unlike standard 15" tires, 16" replacement tires were not readily available in the US during those years.

Thanks for playing!

Quote:
Old February 8th, 2016, 03:56 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Yahoo!!! on my bday no less! what do i win?
Old February 8th, 2016, 04:17 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
a slap in the head for playing! =) happy birthday.
Old February 8th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
15's were only on late IIa and SIII.

There were also the 4" amber indicators used on SIII's, though I don't know for a fact they were not used elsewhere.

But I do know that prior to '68 or '69 all NADA LR's had 16" rims.

Quote:
AND,....WE HAVE A WINNER!

Land Rover equipped all NADA Series trucks with 15" wheels, while all other markets worldwide utilized 16" wheels. Why? Because, unlike standard 15" tires, 16" replacement tires were not readily available in the US during those years.

Thanks for playing!

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old February 8th, 2016, 06:08 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
There were also the 4" amber indicators used on SIII's, though I don't know for a fact they were not used elsewhere.
4" ambers were also used on the late-IIA's as well (1971 I know for sure).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 8th, 2016, 06:24 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
15's were only on late IIa and SIII.

But I do know that prior to '68 or '69 all NADA LR's had 16" rims.
NAS Series 3 tail lights as well, not too many left.
Old February 8th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Jason, I suppose I could have sir. But, honestly, who has the time! No worries though, I made certain to qualify the percentage, 0.04%, by indicating the NAS production years that I utilized in my calculation (1993-1997). So, I'm covered! By the way, here is a bit of Land Rover trivia for everyone: What part is specific to ONLY NADA Series Land Rovers (i.e., pre-1975) and was NOT used by Land Rover on its vehicles in any other market worldwide? (Cue the Jeopardy theme!) :whistling
I haven't read the entire thread yet (so maybe it's been said). I would say the very expensive to replace Lucas blinker lenses - I'm not even going to put them on the truck until the old ones completely fall off.

But then again I don't see too many of Series trucks with a Hazard Light set-up.

Or could be the Ashtray.

I'm going with the blinker lenses.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, nas