Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 20th, 2014, 04:55 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Why the Jeep Wrangler is the New Defender

http://expeditionportal.com/why-the-...over-defender/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2014, 05:07 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Oh vomit.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:13 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I have to agree with Matt, which isn't something I normally do. Rover really missed the boat on the utilitarian vehicle market. Look at the popularity of the FJ Cruiser and the 4 door Jeep that they can't make fast enough. I'll be watching to see if Rover can get their act together with the new Defender or if they once again miss the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2014, 05:26 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Popularity? FJ? Man I haven't seen a new FJ in years... The new wrangler, almost perfect in terms of nailing it. If they offered a diesel variant they would almost be irresistible.
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:33 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
With the Wranglers crawling around here, I don't see why you couldn't sell a Defender.

The Rubicon X starts in the 40's! Factory Warranty! Factory Lockers! Power Windows! A/C!

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:42 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
If the back end of the 4-door Wrangler had as much capacity as a Defender, I'd have moved on already. If it had a diesel too, I'd never look back.
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
If the back end of the 4-door Wrangler had as much capacity as a Defender, I'd have moved on already. If it had a diesel too, I'd never look back.
Sadly, I agree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Actually, the Chrysler lobbyists ruined it - why on earth the USA has such strict laws that inhibited the continued success of a brand that did just fine in every country on earth is beyond me...is every other country wrong? And the USA is right....

but yeah - vomit - especially...."You’ll be walking out with a vehicle that far surpasses the level of capability that was ever offered from Land Rover direct from the showroom."
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Popularity? FJ? Man I haven't seen a new FJ in years... The new wrangler, almost perfect in terms of nailing it. If they offered a diesel variant they would almost be irresistible.
The FJ had a stop sale order due to seat belt issues as they are anchored in the clam doors. They are still popular, as long as you can deal with piloting a car with submarine like visibility around. The FJ is also scheduled to be killed, if I remember correctly.

This article has been written by him at least two times. The most recent one was something like 'I bought a Wrangler because I could not buy a new Defender.' It drew just about the same amount of vitriol from both owner camps.
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:38 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Yeah, I didn't know about the seatbelt issue but it's very uninspiring. The FJ had such hype but failed to deliver.
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:42 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I have heard recently -from a pretty reliable source, that this fall the diesel JK becomes available Stateside!

Old May 20th, 2014, 07:51 PM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

Wrangler 4D buy backs...

A co-worker of mine gets a call from the Jeep dealership every 6 months or so, asking if he would like to trade in his 4-door Wrangler for a newer one.

He finally asked why they keep calling him and their response was that they wanted a 'used' 4-door to sale on their lot. People are keeping them and not many available on the used market.

For what its worth... I hope LR takes the time in researching their US market beyond the RR Sport. Merc and Jeep have adapted.

(If you want to see new FJs, come to Dallas... they are everywhere.)
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:00 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I hate to admit it but I recently rented a new Jk for a week while traveling on business. The acceleration of the pentastar v6 alone made it very tempting.. never mind the newer interior, ease of putting the front hard top sections on and off etc.
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The new JK with the 3.6 pentastar (sic) is awesome. It is new range rover quick.
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:40 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
I hate to admit it but I recently rented a new Jk for a week while traveling on business. The acceleration of the pentastar v6 alone made it very tempting.. never mind the newer interior, ease of putting the front hard top sections on and off etc.
Same experience. It had been years since I had been in a wrangler. I didn't want to be impressed, I wanted to be assured that the jeep was still the same unimpressive SUV, but I was surprised. Drop a 5.7 in and I'll holler at one. 30 years from now there will still be a wrangler. Defender will be a pretender if Land Rover keeps going the Evoque route.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I was reading that they plan to make the jeep IFS in 2015. Which seems really odd. Share some other chassis I assume. Hopefully they kill that idea.
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:31 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Are there any frame upgrades for the 4-door wrangler? They seem pretty light-weight/thin compared to a fully-boxed Defender frame.
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

It's fine for the jeep needs. LR is overbuilt.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:23 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Defenders are the last hold out of a proper 4wd. Body on frame, floating axles, gear driven transfer case, manual transmission, real driveshafts, solid axles, coil springs and no creature comforts

Jeeps are dookie always have been. If Jeep can sell JK's like hotcakes and Land Rover or toyota not take note they obviously have no interest in this segment of the market. The FJ was a great idea but they fell really short of the finish. It seriously cant be that hard to make the current Defender viable for the US market. People are paying grossly inflated prices for janky Defenders from the early 80's. surely folks would pay a premium for the current Defender with no rust and a dare I say a manufacturers warranty.
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:49 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

The wrangler is the new mid-life crisis vehicle and its amazing at it.

Here you can have a daily vehicle. Hard top, four doors, lots of room, fairly comfortable, A/C, auto trans, etc. But *if* you wanted to, you could go tackle some super serious powerline trails. On top of that, you can take it to 4 wheel parts and in the span of a Saturday, you can be rolling on 35s, lift, awesome bumper, 5,000,000,000,000,000 lumens of LEDs for possible night wheeling, and a tow strap. Everything you need...*if* you wanted to go off road.

However you don't really have the time for any of that because you've got 2~3 kids and whatnot.

But if you wanted...you could...

With that said, these stupid JKs really are awesome off road, especially the rubicons. A stock 2 door rubi would pretty much rock out every trail here in the southeast (sans trails for WEROCK, rock bouncing, hill climbing, and the really big rock crawling stuff). With some money, these built 4 door JKs are being awesome as well. Add an Atlas, Pro-Rock 60 axles, custom suspension, 37s, and they follow around the rock buggies of yesterday.

I doubt LR will ever be able to chip into that market unless they take a mind to go head to head with the JK. Considering they don't care, I doubt they will.

So I guess we will all just have to put Johnson Rods and 32s on our LR3s and wheel them. Oh well...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, new defender