Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 21st, 2014, 09:11 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
That guy writes nothing but horseshit! Everything he writes is anti LR. Which is really annoying since he rides around in a free Trek Discovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
You really need to look overseas, not here. Land Rover makes its big money in the Middle East. Think what they want in Doha not Denver. Spend a saturday afternoon in the dunes outside of Doha and then you understand who Land Rover is trying to appeal to. Urban Arabs. Doing the dunes in Doha in a Supercharged Range Rover two years ago. They like the Evoque, its their style:
Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:52 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
They can keep their supercharged Rangies and Evoques for dune jumping.
I want to copy the Malaysians and build a Series III wagon with Volvo portal axles and wallow in the mud.
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
If the new Defender it doesn't betray the model's heritage, perhaps there is some hope.

From Charles Kayajian on May 14th (AB Land Rover News Blog)...

It’s hard to blame the Land Rover community for the skepticism surrounding the Defender replacement. McGovern and the Land Rover crew were also talking a big game about the DC100 concept, an abomination that reflected an apparent disconnect between what the Land Rover marketplace wanted and what Land Rover brass “thought” they wanted. McGovern has since stated publicly that the DC100 will be scrapped and the Defender replacement will maintain its rugged appeal and utilitarian capabilities. In fact, Land Rover plans to have the Defender represent an entire line or “pillar” of Land Rover’s new vehicle offerings, joining the “Discovery” line and the “Range Rover” line.

Gerry McGovern:
“The Defender pillar, it needs to be said to help put it in context, will be more about durability; about ruggedness. We want to make Defender very affordable. You’ll get versions that are very elemental in terms of what’s inside them, but you’ll have the ability to move it up and make it more premium, but it’ll be durable premium.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
You really need to look overseas, not here. Land Rover makes its big money in the Middle East. Think what they want in Doha not Denver. Spend a saturday afternoon in the dunes outside of Doha and then you understand who Land Rover is trying to appeal to. Urban Arabs. Doing the dunes in Doha in a Supercharged Range Rover two years ago. They like the Evoque, its their style:
I didn't see that many Rovers (or dunes) in or around Doha. I did see lots of 7-series BMW's though. Still, it's an interesting point.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Go down the beach about 50 clicks towards the Saudi border. Packed on a Saturday. That was actually Prince Abdulla (#3 to the throne) in the Range Rover. He has me come over to tooddle around with him from time to time. He bought a Citation SP (single pilot) but he is not quite ready to go by himself. It has a killer espresso machine inside, about the only good thing about the airplane.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:11 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
I've owned both and recently traded in my JK for a new F-150. I'd still have the JK if all my kids fit in it comfortably. But alas, I've succumb to the comfort of a 4-door pick-up. I still have a 90 in the garage though. I just don't use it as a daily driver like I once did.

I owned my JK for 7 years and it was, hands down, a far and away much more reliable vehicle than any Defender that I've ever owned. It never once broke anything on the trail and the Jeep never left me stranded. The JK is, out of the box, comparably more capable than the NAS Defender was when reintroduced in the 90's. It was also far more comfortable on the road. A good all around solution for off-road travel. Ideal for the type of wheeling we do here in the states.

Say what you will about Jeep, but I can tell you this....Jeep listens to their customers. And, it shows. How else do you explain the demand for a $50K plus Rubicon? Or even better, a $90K plus AEV modified Jeep?

I have no prejudices towards any particular manufacture. My older brother, Ben, has done extensive work with AEV and other manufacturers doing various Jeep projects. Check out his site at: www.benhedrick.com. He just started his newest project, an expedition prepared JK.

I like the Defender because it has character, curves , and lines that are pleasing to my particular sensibilities. The Jeep JK has some of those attributes as well, but not in the same fashion as the Defender. In the end, I've spent more time in this community than I have ever spent in the presence of other JK owners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Matthew Scott is a moron and a troll. I wouldn't even give him the attention of a page click. I think ExPo keeps him around because he gets people riled up, which generates page views and ad impressions.

/
/
/
/
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Regardless of the author the point is the Jeep Wrangler(JK or whatever) has become the go-to for a large part of the population. As my D1 gets more and more rusty(IL winters) I wonder how much longer I'll be in a Rover. I have zero desire to own an LR3/4 either as a daily or trail truck. The Jeep has soared in popularity because it filled a niche that Land Rover once had a stake in, albeit small. The new Defender will be a turning point for Land Rover I think. They will either embrace or forget their heritage. Anything short of a 4 door diesel option with classic Defender ruggedness with a few creature comforts will be a fail.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I owned a JK Rubicon as well. Comparing a mid 90s Defender to one is not really fair. You need to compare a 2007+ Defender to the JK to be on the same ground.

The JK was great. Well designed. It has some short comings in comparison to the Defender. Rough ride (not sure why, but it is horrible), sits lower stock by a fair bit and the t. case hangs done, much wider, less interior room compared to the exterior size. On the plus side, factory lockers, great aftermarket, it has a great turning circle.

Other stuff, noise, interior comfort, traction control is all pretty similar comparing current model to current model.

I don't see any real different in maintenance and overall strength. They both break when used properly. They both have their problems. Like I say, people need to stop comparing their 20 year+ old truck to a new one. That is not a reasonable thing to do. Go find a 1995 Jeep Wrangler and compare to it. If you have not driven a new Defender, life sucks.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:57 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I owned a JK Rubicon as well. Comparing a mid 90s Defender to one is not really fair. You need to compare a 2007+ Defender to the JK to be on the same ground.

The JK was great. Well designed. It has some short comings in comparison to the Defender. Rough ride (not sure why, but it is horrible), sits lower stock by a fair bit and the t. case hangs done, much wider, less interior room compared to the exterior size. On the plus side, factory lockers, great aftermarket, it has a great turning circle.

Other stuff, noise, interior comfort, traction control is all pretty similar comparing current model to current model.

I don't see any real different in maintenance and overall strength. They both break when used properly. They both have their problems. Like I say, people need to stop comparing their 20 year+ old truck to a new one. That is not a reasonable thing to do. Go find a 1995 Jeep Wrangler and compare to it. If you have not driven a new Defender, life sucks.
That's pretty much the point. Very few here have driven a 2007+ Denfender I would venture to say. The reason is because they are NLA in the states. Which was the point I took out of the article, the Jeep has replaced the Defender in the states.
I did stop reading the article about halfway through because he was shifting focus and lost my attention.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:22 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheh View Post
that's pretty much the point. Very few here have driven a 2007+ denfender i would venture to say. The reason is because they are nla in the states. Which was the point i took out of the article, the jeep has replaced the defender in the states.
I did stop reading the article about halfway through because he was shifting focus and lost my attention.
*nya
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:59 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
*nya
Do you know something others do not? From what it looks like, if it does make it to the States, it will STILL be more expensive than a Wrangler (I have no idea what letter combination they will use next) and STILL not have the aftermarket support the Jeep has. I guarantee that even if they go IFS, everyone and the mother will have a SAS kit developed, tested, and marketed within a few months of release. No matter what LR does, it will pale in comparison to what is available and what will be developed for the Jeep. People say that the Defender is the Erector Set of cars. I do not know about that. I think it is the Wrangler. Everything bolts on and everything works.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 04:31 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Not yet available sounds more reasonable than no longer available... a 1990 Defender is not yet available, rather than no longer available.

I don't know anything!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:09 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Thanks for the sig!

-Jeff
I don't think you needed it in writing for people to think it
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:54 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASEcrest View Post
A co-worker of mine gets a call from the Jeep dealership every 6 months or so, asking if he would like to trade in his 4-door Wrangler for a newer one.

He finally asked why they keep calling him and their response was that they wanted a 'used' 4-door to sale on their lot. People are keeping them and not many available on the used market.

For what its worth... I hope LR takes the time in researching their US market beyond the RR Sport. Merc and Jeep have adapted.

(If you want to see new FJs, come to Dallas... they are everywhere.)
LR doesn't care for folks like us. We are an extinct breed... less than 1%.

They want to sell their +$100k vehicles to movie starts and oil moguls, etc. LR is (perhaps was) a symbol of wealth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, new defender