Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 21st, 2014, 09:14 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
With some money, these built 4 door JKs are being awesome as well. Add an Atlas, Pro-Rock 60 axles, custom suspension, 37s, and they follow around the rock buggies of yesterday
IF I had "some" money I'd build my 109" the way I think, and still have a LR with a killer engine rolling on 35"/37" following those JKs and spanking their bums too, maybe.
Spending less than the price of a new Jeep.

I admit it's a good platform with plenty of aftermarket toys.
But it doesn't touch my soul.
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2014, 09:29 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

since i just sold a JKU - i can say this. They are in reality very, very good trucks and do everything a defender can and more.
I sold mine b/c
a) i got more than i paid for it after a year of ownership (not much but i did make money on a 2012)
b) i liked my defender better just because it is unique
c) my wife hated the stick and wanted an Auto.

if they do a JKU with a diesel - I'll buy one, unless the defender returns. basically i'm just waited for one or the other to show up in 2015 hopefully.

would i sell the D90.... probably not, but i don't know honestly. And after i get it back from the top end rebuild and suspension I'll probably be happy for another 5 years of DD.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:41 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
IF I had "some" money I'd build my 109" the way I think, and still have a LR with a killer engine rolling on 35"/37" following those JKs and spanking their bums too, maybe.
Spending less than the price of a new Jeep.

I admit it's a good platform with plenty of aftermarket toys.
But it doesn't touch my soul.
Soul arguments aside, the Jeep is plug and play everything and that is why people go for them. Some people truly love the Jeep but most people go for it because you can do a catalog build and be ready for anything. And you can do it for FAR cheaper than any other truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2014, 10:02 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
This small used car lot in NOVA looks to be making a killing flipping late model Jeeps. Most (all?) are built with lifts, >35" tires, bling rims, bumpers, etc. I drive by a few times per month and his inventory moves. Guessing he bags the lease returns, bolts on the bling, and sells for nice profit. Low risk business model IMO.

http://www.dealerstrade.com/jeep-wrangler.aspx
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:05 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
This small used car lot in NOVA looks to be making a killing flipping late model Jeeps. Most (all?) are built with lifts, >35" tires, bling rims, bumpers, etc. I drive by a few times per month and his inventory moves. Guessing he bags the lease returns, bolts on the bling, and sells for nice profit. Low risk business model IMO. http://www.dealerstrade.com/jeep-wrangler.aspx
I see so many jeeps like this on the road, not a surprise that someone is cashing in on it. The bolt on bling is very popular with the new wrangler crowd
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:17 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
This small used car lot in NOVA looks to be making a killing flipping late model Jeeps. Most (all?) are built with lifts, >35" tires, bling rims, bumpers, etc. I drive by a few times per month and his inventory moves. Guessing he bags the lease returns, bolts on the bling, and sells for nice profit. Low risk business model IMO.

http://www.dealerstrade.com/jeep-wrangler.aspx
Its the Brodozer lot. I have driven past there a couple of times on my way to other things. It is a flat billers with Monster stickers paradise.
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:28 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

My wife drives a Pentastar Rubicon and I gotta' admit, it's pretty damned nice. I hear this is the last year for the FJ and next year Jeep will add a diesel option for the last year of the JK.
If true, it may be time to trade the Rubi for a diesel Unlimited.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:43 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Buy a jeep. And then get the new clothing.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/i-cant...21185/+pgeorge

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:56 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Its the Brodozer lot. I have driven past there a couple of times on my way to other things. It is a flat billers with Monster stickers paradise.
LOL - you must be a fan of the Urban Dictionary.
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Soul arguments aside, the Jeep is plug and play everything and that is why people go for them. Some people truly love the Jeep but most people go for it because you can do a catalog build and be ready for anything. And you can do it for FAR cheaper than any other truck.
X2...
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:15 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The Jeep Wrangler and the Defender are really nothing alike, except for the fact that they both have coil springs, solid axles, and a ladder frame.

There is virtually no content in this article, and no evidence is given for the author's assertion.

I stopped reading when he started talking about turning a Jeep into an RV/Camper.

IMHO, a hardcore wheeler will build a truggy/buggy and a hardcore expedition person will buy a Ford F450 or a Mercedes Unimog. This article reminds me of an article describing AR15's as Barbie Dolls for men. I suppose the same thing could be said of Jeeps and Defenders, especially when I read an entire article about accessorizing vehicles.
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:24 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
LOL - you must be a fan of the Urban Dictionary.
Ha, sadly these terms are used far too often.

Hanging around with other car guys and these pop up all the time. Usually with the same level in lack of respect.
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:11 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
Buy a jeep. And then get the new clothing.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/i-cant...21185/+pgeorge
The comments were hysterical!
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:19 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
My brother in law is a convert and he's not looking back. He WAS a Land Rover fanatic. Sold his 5 speed disco that he intended to keep for a long time. He just got tired of trying to fix it himself and then reluctantly paying professional mechanics to fix it to still not have it working correctly. Another lost Land Rover customer.

His new Rubicon is very nice. Lots more power and the interior has been designed even better than the older ones I've driven. So much improved from the older JK Unlimiteds of just a couple years ago. I must admit I am tempted to buying a Rubicon. Why not? It's a common sense no brainer for most. Why do I not? It's not a Defender. But, it's getting harder to convince myself that it's worth waiting sometimes MONTHS for parts for my rig. Paying way too much for them etc etc.

Love em or hate them, they are a option for even the most loyal Land Rover enthusiast especially looking at the direction the brand is going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	95531  
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:38 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Dare I ask the question... do you guys have any hope that LR will step up with the new Defender? From what I'm reading online, they have scrapped that previous shit pile (the DC100) and revised plans for a utilitarian design.

Something with solid axles, 4-doors, a diesel, and a reasonable towing capacity, would get it done.
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:49 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I have my doubts, personally, the new disco, new range evoque, let's face it, most people who want utility can't afford to pay a premium for it. People who can afford a $80k new defender aren't going to want what a current defender owner is looking for
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:11 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

if it costs more than say $50k its pretty much a non-starter if there is a jeep Diesel option to me.
I'd keep the D90 but it would join the 356 in the garage or sold.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:21 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
I have my doubts, personally, the new disco, new range evoque, let's face it, most people who want utility can't afford to pay a premium for it. People who can afford a $80k new defender aren't going to want what a current defender owner is looking for
Paying a "Premium" for "Utility" seems contradictive to me. In all honesty the only reason the D90 holds so much value is because they were only available for a few years and importing is a bigger pain in the ass than most care to tackle. Sure the D90 has "soul" and is unique but once you get past that it doesn't offer much. If Rover had been allowed to continue selling the D90 in the states they'd probably hold less value than the D1's currently.
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:06 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Paying a "Premium" for "Utility" seems contradictive to me. In all honesty the only reason the D90 holds so much value is because they were only available for a few years and importing is a bigger pain in the ass than most care to tackle. Sure the D90 has "soul" and is unique but once you get past that it doesn't offer much. If Rover had been allowed to continue selling the D90 in the states they'd probably hold less value than the D1's currently.
If the h1 taught me anything it's that people are willing to shell out way more than you think for utility over creature comforts. But it's that exact reason why you don't see many H1's on the road. I think they had a sticker price north of $100k; while it's similarly badged H2 sold extensively (while gas was $1/gallon).

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2014 01:12 PM ------

Also summarily disagree with the d1 vs d90 comparison. That's like comparing a wrangler to a grand Cherokee IMO.

And if defenders had been brought it for longer I am sure they would be less valuable and desirable. But just like classic wranglers there would still be people restoring them
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:19 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
You only have to compare the number of 25 year old Discoveries and Range Rovers to that of similar aged 90s and 110s on eBay UK to see that is not the case. The "Land Rover-shaped" Land Rovers are the iconic model of the Land Rover brand and will always have more appeal and the associated higher market value. Regardless of production numbers.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled

Lower Navigation