Why not Portals? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 28th, 2005, 09:53 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I was cruising the pirate4x4 board earlier today instead of studying for an LSAT I have in 5 days which is ofcourse intelligent in itself and read on one of the posts that a guy thought the ring and pinion in the c303 axles was like that used in certain volvo passenger cars. I am curious if this is the case and plan to research it further after saturday's test. If anyone cares to refute this let me know, just second hand info at the moment.

Found the link....
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ighlight=volvo
bout a quarter way down the page
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Well..., I emailed the guy at xtremevehicles this morning to express my interest in joining the waiting list.
No reply yet, but If the price he quoted Christian is still good I'm going to give it a try. I'll post up as soon as I learn anything about lead time or any other info that might be useful.

Rod
Old November 29th, 2005, 12:50 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400560

Confirmation from Ashcroft that the 1.003 gears are doable in the Tcase so that would effectively fix the ration/speed problem. With this is mind it seems pretty robust and no need to do anything drastic to the TCase or have to mess with the ring and pinion on the volvos.

Rod, you won't do it, I dare you!
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

What about: : http://www.maddison4x4.co.uk/product...rac_axles.html
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Oh, wow... that's great news Christian. Thanks a bunch for the info.

There's strength in numbers. I'm in, but it would be great if you were doing it too. Hell, we probably will be waiting until spring for axles anyway!
Old November 29th, 2005, 11:01 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Yea I should probably get a lead time before I make any further decisions. I would like to do this during the warm and dry weather in Atlanta but that won't be for a few months at least. I think by then I could have the sufficient funds available for the axles and time on my hands. Rod are you going to do the fab work yourself or are you going to pay someone to do it? If you are planning on doing it youself I just may make a trip back out to CO. I would love to drive some of the trails out that way.
Old November 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Ahaa!
You're thinking about it. Good!
I plan to do it myself. Lots of planning to do in the meantime, but I think there will be plenty of time.
We'll have to keep in touch as we learn more--maybe put a plan together.

You'd be welcome here. If you wanted you could come out for the build, or wait til I'm done, that way we'd have things sorted out already and we could put yours together pretty quickly.--Whatever works.

Old November 29th, 2005, 12:27 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Rod, thanks for the generous offer. I have very little fabrcating skills, most of my experience doing manual labor has been limited to working with wood and so forth. I though about using a off road fabricator but my confidence isn't huge in most of them as there is no guarantee things turn out exactly as you want. I would certainly enjoy the build if you are doing it at the same time. If we can only talk a few more people into it we might have quite a contingency. I am going to contact Ashcroft today to find out how to obtain the proper parts for the TCase and see if there are any issues with running the 1.003 gearing.
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I spoke with David at XtremeVehicles this morning. He said he has a container full of vehicles ready to ship now. He's just waiting while his people over there try to locate some axles. I didn't try to pin him down on a lead time, obviously he just doesn't know. I asked him if he thought it would take 6 months and he said it should be much sooner than that. He's got me on his list and said he would email me when they showed up. He didn't want a deposit, they're first come first served when they do show up.
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:20 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

That's good news Rod, I think I will email them tomorrow about getting on the list as well if for anything but for a shot at them even if I can't afford them at the time. I am also thinking David is right about the SG 3 Link. One I don't like SG products and question if I couldn't have the same thing fabbed in relatively same cost but better built and suited for the portals. I was looking at the Blue Torch Fab parts they have made up and alot of it looks pretty high quality, possibly a good source for building links and so forth. Anyone have experience with any of their stuff?
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg067i
That's good news Rod, I think I will email them tomorrow about getting on the list as well if for anything but for a shot at them even if I can't afford them at the time. I am also thinking David is right about the SG 3 Link. One I don't like SG products and question if I couldn't have the same thing fabbed in relatively same cost but better built and suited for the portals. I was looking at the Blue Torch Fab parts they have made up and alot of it looks pretty high quality, possibly a good source for building links and so forth. Anyone have experience with any of their stuff?
Second best looking fab work I have ever seen in person. If it works as nice as it looked, I would be all for it. I do recommend a 4 link though. Keep us all posted as you guys get this going. Should be fun.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:39 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I've read that a 4 link is really tough to do especially requiring multiple setups to really get it the way you wanted. I have no experience but seems to be an opinion a few hold. What is the benefit of a 4 link versus a 3 link especially in this particular rover front application?
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:00 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg067i
I've read that a 4 link is really tough to do especially requiring multiple setups to really get it the way you wanted. I have no experience but seems to be an opinion a few hold. What is the benefit of a 4 link versus a 3 link especially in this particular rover front application?
I am sure it is harder than a 3 link. There is another link so I bet it is 25% harder to make There are two reasons I would go with a 4 link. The biggest is that it does not transfer a massive amount of force through the center link like a 3 link. With a portal, the center link will see even more force. Also, in a 4 link the links can be mounted around the oil pan so that they will not interfere. Keep in mind, 5in of lift and 37's means that if you want to use all that uptravel, the axle tube will be tucked mighty high on compression.

If you do the calculations correctly or have it done at a good shop, you will get it right the first time.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=394177&page=5 Post # 116.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 3rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

But they will still carry that stiff price tag that the rest of their products do, it would certainly be nice but I don't have near that amount of bank. Just finished my LSAT today, its back to full time rover addiction!
Old December 3rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I was more talking about the disk conversion. Is that still expensive?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:58 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Yea I thought you may have been going that way, I would certainly look into for at least the front, I think I read somewhere that another company offered them for around 750 per axle. On the other hand the volvo drums are good enough for such a big vehicle they would be worth testing out first before dropping the money if not necessary. Though there is certainly an advantage to having discs, if it were reasonable I would probably do it eventually.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat