Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Why Do People Type Like This

There have been several people who have been posting lately, and they use "Title Case" in their threads.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14164

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14163

mountainviewrover does it all the time.

I really don't understand this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Perhaps they've received one too many emails of the sort that start with "Looking For The Latest OEM Soft" or "Get Your Meds..." Those emails typically have that pattern.

Hey...maybe some of our fellow posters moonlight as scam email originators. The things people do to keep new parts coming.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:27 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
They're accustomed to using powerpoint, where everyone capitalizes everything and use punctuation inconsistently. Its a bulletization disorder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I've noticed that a few times over the past few years, the only theory I could come up with;

They were originally the TYPE OF PERSON WHO TYPED IN ALL CAPS

Then they got yelled at

They first write their post in ALL caps, then copy it into Microsoft Word and use the Change Case feature to change to title caps, even though there is a perfectly good sentence casing.

Or

It's an automated feature in forums that converts all caps posts to title case.

Follow-up Post:

I was right in my second guess;

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14167
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I Don't Understand What You Mean Greg?
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke
I Don't Understand What You Mean Greg?
You bugger!
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

hahaha... that was driving me nuts as well, i'm glad someone else thought it was rather odd as well.
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:31 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
WOW, read every word without missing a beat

Old January 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Me too! Do we have super powers?
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Mighty
mighty
epsom 110 & stornoway 90

same!! very cool...the mind, what an amazing pile of mush
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I just wish people knew the difference between break and brake.
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:29 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
ade,

that could be one of the easiest thing i have ever read!!!!!
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Along these same lines... does anybody else find the spelling, grammar and diction errors in many Ebay ads amusing reading?
A random sampling of current Ebay auto ads revealed: Spekker (speaker); Vinl (vinyl); Allot (a lot); Tork (torque); Orgnal (original); "Needs Restored"; "The reason for the paint chipping is that the paint didn't stick very well."; "This car still has all it's factory options as decoded on the fender tag as you will see, as I decoded it for you."; "Show quality paint is remarkably straight"; "Thanks for reading my add and happy biding"; ".....and is pictured in the very last picture on this auction"; "This car is a 100% survivor - new paint and engine 3 years ago...."
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
A coworker emailed me something similiar about a year ago...at first, I was like "what the hell is this crap", then I read through it as easy as if the words weren't misspelled.

Hey Keith,

It was nice meeting you the other day. What a great area of MA. Btw, I want every Defender on that lot!

Follow-up Post:

What are you trying to say about American education???
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Along these same lines... does anybody else find the spelling, grammar and diction errors in many Ebay ads amusing reading?
A random sampling of current Ebay auto ads revealed: Spekker (speaker); Vinl (vinyl); Allot (a lot); Tork (torque); Orgnal (original); "Needs Restored"; "The reason for the paint chipping is that the paint didn't stick very well."; "This car still has all it's factory options as decoded on the fender tag as you will see, as I decoded it for you."; "Show quality paint is remarkably straight"; "Thanks for reading my add and happy biding"; ".....and is pictured in the very last picture on this auction"; "This car is a 100% survivor - new paint and engine 3 years ago...."
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

To address the original observation, yes, the forum has an "anti-shouting" feature that converts all caps down.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:55 AM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

The one that gets me is the text message/IM speak. Thankfully most of the crew here are older, and actually use words, but my wife is a teacher, and I have looked at some of the work the kids hand in, and the number of text message abbreviations that they put in in amazing.
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinchi
The one that gets me is the text message/IM speak. Thankfully most of the crew here are older, and actually use words, but my wife is a teacher, and I have looked at some of the work the kids hand in, and the number of text message abbreviations that they put in in amazing.

This even surfaces on university campuses. Periodically I teach economics at LSU. Most students are careful with what they submit via email, but some are not. It usually looked similar to:

"dear mr ragland i was sick today ad missed the lecture cna you please forward me the notes and let m e know when the next test is shceduled for?"

Students displaying poor communication styles were often lacking in other areas as well. Regardless, I finally made a point of demonstrating what is and what is not a good method of communicating with people who have significant influence over something of high value (i.e. job, grade, admissions, etc.). I never took offense, but you know somebody has been fired or passed over, lost a letter grade, or otherwise suffered because they used text talk in the wrong setting.
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Even better than the people who do not spell check, are the ones who spell check, but don't look at the word they picked... So instead of talking about their horse, they talk about their whore.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:35 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
i really don't care how i type messages, as long as people understand what i am asking. i either type in all lower case or all caps. what ever my key board is in i guess. when i write and it's all in caps. maybe that's why. don't really see what the big deal is. i think it's a waste of time having to worry about capitalizing...............................

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat