Who's the Defender guru of Southern California? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 1st, 2016, 06:11 PM
kracdown
Elliot
1991 D110 200Tdi

Who's the Defender guru of Southern California?

I'm looking into getting my first Defender, which will most likely be a mostly unmolested 110, which I would plan on slowly restoring... But before committing to a specific truck, I'd love to consult with the best Defender repair/tech/etc. that's in or near Los Angeles. A simple Google search bring up British Car Service... but does anyone else have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2016, 06:14 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
they are probably the most knowledgeable. Owner has a very nice Camel Trophy 110 and they probably see more Defenders than anyone else in LA.
Old August 1st, 2016, 07:03 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

That Camel is long gone but they do see a ton of defenders daily. Finding the right shop can be hit or miss. You need to do your homework first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2016, 08:53 PM
kracdown
Elliot
1991 D110 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
That Camel is long gone but they do see a ton of defenders daily. Finding the right shop can be hit or miss. You need to do your homework first.
right, which is why I'm reaching out to knowledgeable forum members

Looking through Yelp reviews etc. doesn't usually yield the best results. Where do you LA guys go?
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:06 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
I used to take my trucks to four oaks in santa monica but i believe they are no longer in business.. they did great by me but Barry had a bad experience. Ive also used British car service to install some custom items like power windows, auto console etc and they were fine.

Im not sure i understand you wanting to consult with a shop before buying a truck. Are you saying you have found a few local and need a pre purchase inspection? If not then this forum and its members will most likely serve as your single best resource for what to look for when buying a vehicle.
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:09 PM
kracdown
Elliot
1991 D110 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
I used to take my trucks to four oaks in santa monica but i believe they are no longer in business.. they did great by me but Barry had a bad experience. Ive also used British car service to install some custom items like power windows, auto console etc and they were fine.

Im not sure i understand you wanting to consult with a shop before buying a truck. Are you saying you have found a few local and need a pre purchase inspection? If not then this forum and its members will most likely serve as your single best resource for what to look for when buying a vehicle.

More so that I want to have a reputable mechanic lined up before I take the plunge. I definitely need the forum and its members to help me look at vehicles!

Is there a good thread that sort of goes over the basics? Engines/transmissions/etc. to avoid? There's a '91 110 TDI (also listed in the Classifieds here) from Spain with the 200TDI engine and supposedly no rust that I'm drooling over... Land Rover Defender Defender 110 TDI | eBay
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:15 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
you're bigger issue might be the importation of a diesel into CA. I haven't followed the threads related to diesels in CA closely but thought it was a tough hill to climb.
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:49 PM
SGS714
Scott Striglos
2xRRC 2xD90 2xD110 Series II, IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracdown View Post
British Car Service... but does anyone else have any recommendations?
I bought a NAS110 from him. Very straight shooter and knows his LR's. I'd reach out to him as a source for finding a clean truck. Can't remember his name but he probably knows most of the Southern Cal trucks and who might be selling...

67 Series II
71 Series IIa 88" ACR 2.8 Power Plus
89 RRC 2 door 200tdi
93 D110 NAS #327
94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076 ACR 4.8, 1161 SBC
94 D90 NAS now a D110 HS 2.8 aka Project Wolf
95 2x RRC
1-SWB,Doing the LS Gen IV 98% Done
1-LWB 300tdi
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:53 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGS714 View Post
I bought a NAS110 from him. Very straight shooter and knows his LR's. I'd reach out to him as a source for finding a clean truck. Can't remember his name but he probably knows most of the Southern Cal trucks and who might be selling...
Steve Mills.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:04 AM
kracdown
Elliot
1991 D110 200Tdi

This is all great info.. Thanks! I think after doing some more research it will be MUCH easier buying something through a dealer with title in hand rather than trying to figure out the importing etc. Has anyone every personally worked with Valencia Classic Vehicle Consulting? They work with Japanese Classics, which I've actually heard about from other people importing cars. That being said, if a car is older than 25 years old I believe that all the EPA and safety regulations stuff is no longer relevant? I believe that if the car is sporting its original engine, it does not need to be separately EPA certified (just kidding, I see that California is the only place where EPA still matters if the car is newer than 1975, but I actually do live most of the year in Illinois, and could register it there if I ended up going this route...)
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:43 AM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
IMHO if you want a CA legal, headache free 110 transaction, there is only 1 choice, a NAS 110 and you're done. Everything else is next to impossible, not worth the time, money or headache with no guarantees at the end. Read the thread Neil Thorton wrote on importing a defender into CA. Diesels impossible unless you get it registered in another state. I went through all this research several years ago and finally said the hell with it and just bought the NAS 110...easy peasy!

Good luck with the search. The guy at British Car seems very knowledgeable and definitely has tons of 110's in his shop at any given time...especially NAS110's.

PPS there is currently a very clean NAS 110 in Irvine at Sourcemotors for $99K. appt. only.
Ed
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:23 AM
kracdown
Elliot
1991 D110 200Tdi

Does anyone know if I import a diesel, register it in Illinois, and then transfer that registration to California if I will bypass emissions stuff?

"Motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, and diesel-powered vehicles cannot be converted to California emissions standards at this time. Therefore, they cannot be registered in California unless they were originally manufactured to meet U.S. and California emissions standards."
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:08 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wishing people would read the extensive and existing threads on importing and California.

Then we wouldn't have this question come up every two weeks.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:09 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kracdown View Post
Does anyone know if I import a diesel, register it in Illinois, and then transfer that registration to California if I will bypass emissions stuff?

"Motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, and diesel-powered vehicles cannot be converted to California emissions standards at this time. Therefore, they cannot be registered in California unless they were originally manufactured to meet U.S. and California emissions standards."
There is a thread on diesel trucks and CA ... I suggest you read it. No disrespect but at least once a week we get someone asking questions that have been asked many times. These people then tend to evaporate when their dream of importing some impossible to import / register vehicle is spoiled by facts and reality.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:18 AM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
There is a thread on diesel trucks and CA ... I suggest you read it. No disrespect but at least once a week we get someone asking questions that have been asked many times. These people then tend to evaporate when their dream of importing some impossible to import / register vehicle is spoiled by facts and reality.
hahaha
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:53 AM
kracdown
Elliot
1991 D110 200Tdi

My bad... I'll go read it... But I found my answer. Diesel is a no go unless I inherit the car through a divorce or death, or my current car is totaled or stolen out of state (I am allowed to replace it with a car that is 49 state compliant rather than California compliant). Sucks because diesel engines are great, my mom and sister both have TDI cars and I love em.... Looks like I'm ponying up for a V8 110 unless I decide to register the car in Illinois.

But really that's just a side track - I'm still more curious about the best Defender mechanic / restoration team in SoCal if anyone has any other suggestions!
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:52 PM
outpost
Andy
97 NAS D90SW

Elliot: I did exactly the same thing before buying my 90 and lined up a mechanic first, including visiting their facilities and meeting the staff. Steve at British Car Service is very knowledgeable and did an excellent job with my truck. As soon as I received the truck I dropped it off with him and he went over it front to back and corrected everything that needed it. He is a straight shooter and will serve you well. If you have a question regarding registration call Vehicle Registration Services (310) 390-3944. They have all the answers and if they don't they will get them. I went down the same road as the last thing I wanted was an old truck I could not get fixed or get registered.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:06 PM
kracdown
Elliot
1991 D110 200Tdi

OK - Regardless of the importation of a diesel into CA, can anyone comment on this truck?

Land Rover Defender Defender 110 TDI | eBay

I live about 8 months of the year in Chicago, and could register the car in Illinois (I read the thread on Diesels in CA... Looks like a total fluke as to whether or not someone will catch you or not).
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
See if he'll give you a Defendersource price.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tdi-72195.html
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:58 PM
kracdown
Elliot
1991 D110 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
See if he'll give you a Defendersource price.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tdi-72195.html
Thanks - I saw that and have been talking to him off eBay... Does anyone see anything wrong with the vehicle? He says no rust at all (on the frame), but should I be worried about the little bits of it throughout the underside and in the foot wells?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...BkZVBEdWNuejRB

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, southern california