Who was taking bets? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 15th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Who was taking bets?

Well whoever guessed today would be the day my 90 breaks down Wins because something broke big time on the way to work this morning. Sounded like a tooth broke off something and then some more until I couldn't drive over 10 mph without having my hands shaken off the steering wheel. I thought it was the front diff (only thing not replaced other then the tranns) and pulled the drive shaft and the flanges off, nope that didn't fix it and now the truck won't move even in diff lock but still vibrated like crazy. When it was still moving I tried 1st, 2nd and 3rd and they made no difference, I have killed 2 rear diffs on the road so far and neither of them resulted in vibes this bad they just stopped working. That leaves the T-case but I just put that in, or it is the rear diff and it just acts very differently with the Detroit.

I should have known it was too good to last
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2005, 12:44 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Good grief and I thought I had bad luck! So who want's to pitch in and get Mike something he can't break? Or work on getting him a job with UL?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Mike, I take it you're not married, yet.
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Not married, and I work in a testing lab where I break stuff on purpose I would just be happy with stuff that didn't break on the way to work!
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

you need a bicycle, with one fixed gear (like the ones they use in the Olympics in those velodromes). That's as simple as you'll get, short of walking of course.

Sorry to hear about your truck, that would be crazy if it was your new transfer case. Hate to say it, but maybe your truck is cursed? Just a thought.
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Mike are you able to get it home or do you need help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
...I work in a testing lab...
In between monitoring the D-90 Source and searching all corners of the earth for rover parts, right?
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I bet mike could even break this!!!
Damn, sorry to hear that mike. Between you and CVC this is not a good day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	olifant_tank5.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	3581  
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:37 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
you need a bicycle, with one fixed gear (like the ones they use in the Olympics in those velodromes). That's as simple as you'll get, short of walking of course.
I bet you he'll break that to

What's with your truck lately? Please keep it off mud, it will last longer.
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I dunno about that.... I still remember reading a story about a guy that bought an old Chieftain tank, and didn't QUITE know all there was about driving it. Lost control going downhill, brakes couldn't stop it, and he rolled it over into a mud hole. So I'm sure Mike could think of something.

Mike, jack up all 4 wheels, put everything in Neutral, take off both driveshafts and see what doesn't spin like it should, that should narrow it down between front axle, rear axle or tranny/x-case.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

NO NO NO! Dang it to heck anyways--Sorry to hear about this. Let us know what you find out--I hope it was not the transfer--it was just done! I have that $100 gift certificate for that tranmission place in NM (Rob Dassler?) which you can have if it helps. Hope it is something simplier like the rear diff, though.
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
MH, you know your problem, right?

It's called "the jimmy", and you've been infected.

I don't know of any cures. But I do know a great shrink.
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:16 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
MH, you know your problem, right?

It's called "the jimmy", and you've been infected.

I don't know of any cures. But I do know a great shrink.
When i first met Mike i told him 3rd low and boot it up the power line,he told me his truck was too old for that sort of driving,how things change

Old August 15th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Jimmy it's home, I had the neighbor who works as a tow truck drive get it home for me. I am almost 100% it's the T-case as when moving it on and off the tow truck nothing bound in the rear diff, the front diff was taken out of the loop when I removed the driveshaft and the flanges. Also when I tried to drive without the front shaft hooked up it would not move with diff lock in, but it should have, it also made no differance in low range. I still need to put it in neutral and try to rull out the tranns unless it's the input gear of the t-case but I am pretty sure it's the t-case as the front end was doing most of the bucking when it started going south. Will know for sure tonight

No bikes it's too hot and humid here to bike to work.

A tank would be cool but it gets much worse MPG then the d-90 does!

Chris if it's the T-case it's going back to get replaced or fixed, I have installed 2 T-case's prior to this so I would have to say something in it wasn't right. And yes I did fill it with oil when I installed it!

LOL, you know Jimmy I was going through mud holes well before I knew you or even had a Defender, I just always stuck to second gear and I had not had any problems up until that point.

I am still wishing that it's the R&P in the rear diff as I can still drive it on the front but I just can't see it being that unless the detroit is the problem?

Thanks guys
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well the T-case is shot. I pulled the rear driveshaft (front already off) and put it in gear started it up, let out the clutch and she stalled. Got under it again and tried turning the drum break by hand, I could only turn it one way and then it got hard to turn and real ruff and then I could not turn it any more. So it looks like I will be making a call in the AM to see what they want me to do with it, I hope they pay shipping both ways.
Old August 15th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Ouch! I can't believe it let go so soon.
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:00 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

That just plain old sucks. Mike I'm sorry, but you should tell them you moderate this site and maybe they'll be more inclined to pay the shipping.
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:20 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Bummer Mike. I can't believe that particular TC let go. Let us know how they respond.
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:39 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Well the T-case is shot. I pulled the rear driveshaft (front already off) and put it in gear started it up, let out the clutch and she stalled. Got under it again and tried turning the drum break by hand, I could only turn it one way and then it got hard to turn and real ruff and then I could not turn it any more. So it looks like I will be making a call in the AM to see what they want me to do with it, I hope they pay shipping both ways.
What? Dude I feel for you now, good luck. I would say have Rob Dassler build you one with 1.4 HR and GBR LR kit and be done with it. I bet you he can build you one that can last years. He did some work on my T-case and never had a problem for over 3 years now.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I called them, they said they would stand by their warranty but they would like to find out what went wrong ASAP, so I'll drain the oil and remove the inspection plate and take some pics to send off to them tonight. They said they had done extensive testing on the gears and they could not understand why they broke so soon. I'll post pics tonight, but they seemed very willing to make the situation right which made me very happy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat