Who was taking bets? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:18 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

That's good they are willing to stand up to the problems that arise, but that really sucks about your truck. I'm learning kind of what it's like to not have the truck driving for an extended period during this rebuild right now and it really sucks. I just want to get the thing up and running! I hope you get it sorted out as soon as possible, let us know how it goes, good luck with it all! (you could use it, right?)
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2005, 11:02 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I've heard good things about them, that they are very responsive and stand behind their products. Don't remeber where I heard it, but that's good news Mike. Did they say they would pay for shipping back to them? If they won't, you should try get them to at least split it with you.
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Teeth! Who needs teeth on a gear!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01679a.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	3589  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

That's ugly! Sorry to hear of your troubles Mike, Hope they make it right for you.
Rob

On another note...I picked up a 1.4 box from a guy at the Rally that I'll let you have cheap...oh wait, never mind...
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:40 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Yeah, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see the point of teeth either, they are WAY over-rated!

Serously though, it sounds like they'll make it right, I hope they do but either way it still puts you without a truck for a while and that sucks.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:53 PM
redrover

Mike it seems a little to early for a crashcroft to implode. Are you sure it is not the tranny? How many miles on the TC? After the install did you have any unusual sounds?rubbing etc. Have you drained the gear oil from TC yet? That Should tell which case your problem lies. JP
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:28 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What length bolts did you use to affix the trans to the TC? Too long and stuff will get dorked up.

That just straight up sux though - BTW what method do you use the pull the case? do you lift the truck, pull the motor/trans/t-case? or just crawl underneath and wrassle the thing out?
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:42 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert

You don't need teeth in New Hampshire...

Seriously, I had some questions for you MH, I'll shoot you a PM.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
What length bolts did you use to affix the trans to the TC? Too long and stuff will get dorked up.

That just straight up sux though - BTW what method do you use the pull the case? do you lift the truck, pull the motor/trans/t-case? or just crawl underneath and wrassle the thing out?
This is T-case install # 3 for me, I am pretty sure I got the bolts right as My setup uses the studs in the importasnt places you are talking about. I use a jack to hold the T-case as I slide it off the tranns, I even made up an adapter plate so it holds it using the inspection plate bolts. Nothing sounded bad until the it started stripping teeth, Ashcroft is puzzled by everything too, I am waiting for an e-mail from them.
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Who did the t-case for you Mike?
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ashcroft did, I bought it outright (meaning no core) from them with the crawler set installed. They are not sure what they want to do or I'm really not sure. They don't want to sell me or really anyone another T-case with the crawler gears until they figure out what went wrong with mine. How they are going to figure that out I am not sure, they don't want it back to look at. So they offered me a full refund, or a new stock T-case and a discount on a underdrive. But as some of you know I am shooting for a PTO winch and I have the winch and PTO already, so if I went with the underdrive I would have a PTO and a PTO winch that I would have a hard time selling for what I paid for it.

I am still waiting on Ashcroft to get back to me on what exactly the discount on the underdrive with T-case, but I would rather not be spending any more big $$$$. My plan for tonight is to look over the T-case and gears a little more closely to see if I can figure out what went wrong.

This was exactly what I wanted in a T-case, a good low low range and I still had a PTO, so now you know my little dilemma I can always go back to a stock low range but it really sucks that I went through all this effort to get it with nothing in return and I am without a ride until I get this resolved.
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:22 PM
redrover

Mike I remember you saying you are done with submarine wheeling but remember a PTO winch isnt much use if the motor wont run. Just a little food for thought.. See ya next year in CO. JP

ps how psyched are you that you didnt start for CO in that truck.
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:26 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, that sucks I hope you can work it out with them and get a new one asap. We have to wheel this fall again. I would go with the crawler box If you get a good deal. Is the pto winch for the front or the back?
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Humm,

You could have had mine for cheap and I can guarantee it would not have broken.

I know it is stock low but . . .

Ron
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well here is the story so far. They gave me 2 other offers, 1 they give me a full refund, or 2 they give me a new stock T-case and an underdrive at a discount of 795 UK pounds ($1500) and they cover the shipping of it all. Well $1500 is allot more then I wanted to spend right now, and then if I still have the parts for the PTO winch (around $1000 worth of parts) I need to get rid of. So I'm not sure what to do yet, I would like to figure out what went wrong in the gears because I would really like to get another set, but if I could sell off the PTO stuff for $1000 I might go with the underdrive.

JP, I know the winch doesn't go at all when the engine stops, but most of the time I am stuck the engine runs fine, and an electric winch is sometimes just not enough when stuck in thick mud, while a PTO will pull the frame appart before it stops.

I'm going to look over the gears to see if I can figure out what went wrong, I looked up some info on the net on gear faiure analisys. I'm going to call them on Monday to talk about what type of testing they have done on the gears, I want to know who many miles they put on them over there in High range and what type off speed they were doing n the highway. Last week I did 2 110 mile one way trips on the hghway and was going between 65 and 85 MPH.
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:30 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
a PTO will pull the frame appart before it stops.
Mike - please read this until you come to your senses!
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Take the refund. With a PTO winch one needs nothing else.
Old August 29th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

So, Mike, how goes the battle?
Rob
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I just shipped back the gears, the manufacturer of the gears wants to have a look at them to try and figure out what went wrong, but after researching it myself (I am by no means any expert just guessing by what I have read on gear failure analysis) I think the material was either not strong enough or something happened while they were being made. They should have the gears either Thursday or Friday and I hope to hear what they think by Friday at the latest.
Old September 28th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

So Mike,
It's been a month...any resolution to your t-box woes yet?
Rob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat