Who needs an RPI chip, I'm going "MegaSquirt" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:49 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Who needs an RPI chip, I'm going "MegaSquirt"

Ok, perhaps I might and perhaps I might not. Too many other things first.

But I found a DIY fuel injection computer that is fully programmable using a laptop with full data logging and diagnostics, uses the factory sensors and injectors (OR can always change them too with this system), eliminates the $600 Mass Air Sensor, and runs in the range of about $200.

Yippieee!

www.megasquirt.info

Now, I just need to research the Colorado emissions program for El Paso county to see if I can get away with it. Does anybody know if the "check engine" light is in the ignition computer or the EFI system?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:24 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Sounds cool! On a 94 there is only 1 ECU, the one under the dash and it connects to the orange check engine light.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:14 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

So the ECU under the dash handles both spark and the fuel injection? Hmmmm.....

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:17 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My Alfa buddies use megasquirts, you could run a search at alfabb.com and you'll get some results with people putting MS into use. I have no experience with the system because I'm running webers on my GTV.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:41 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
So the ECU under the dash handles both spark and the fuel injection? Hmmmm.....

-Hans
Yep, I have the manual and all of that stuff ties back into the 1 ECU.

Follow-up Post:

Hmm, I am not 100% sure but you don't need the ECU for the ignition on a 94 due to the dist being driven by the engine. This really sparks my interest as I am putting a 97 4.0 in my 94 the problem is the front cover is set up for the electronic distributer and I would like to keep that front cover s it is better then using my 3.9 cover (surp belt and bigger oil pump), I have been told i can have machine work done on the 4.0 cober to fit the 3.9 dist, but on that site that talk about using there system to control some electronic ignitions. HMM time for more research
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:38 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, the site isn't the best organized I've noticed. But it appears that there are a couple versions that can control ignition also, MegaSquirt II available hopefully in the next couple weeks, and the "in development" UltraMegaSquirt.

That Ultra system looks to be a real boon for us, since the folks there say that all the Lucas systems were batch-fired and the Ultra will be sequential. That would be a nice bump in milage and tunability.

I noticed a few Rover types in the forums, so I'll see what I can glean from them. As I go further into it, perhaps I'll start posting updates on my website.

-Hans

Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

have you seen anything regaurding running MS with an electronic Dist? You are right it is not very organized.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, I did a search on "Lucas 14CUX" and came up with the following quote.

"all youve got to do is make up a lead to convert the MS 32pin plug to the Lucas plug, remove the flow meter and wire in an air temp sensor."

(Jaw hits floor)

It seriously CAN'T be THAT easy. Apparently the distributors in the 3.9's have the ignition amplifier and everything already in them. The Lucas ECU only control fuel injection and idle speed, according to the manual. I'm chasing through the wiring diagrams now to confirm this. It seems the only difficult part is finding a matching wiring connector.

This can be a 1-stop salvation for a lot of things, if it works. The more I read into this, it does the same exact thing as the factory EFI system. The only difference is that this one is tunable, but does not self-adjust. Oh, and it doesn't appear to support the "Check Engine" light, or service reminder. But it does offer on-the-fly laptop diagnosis of all the sensors, including real-time graphing of all the readouts.

-Hans

Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:03 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I see this and DiscoEd is going through what I will have to do

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t...ighlight=rover

You may want to talke to this guy

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t...ighlight=rover

He has the system running on a 3.9 V8
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I was going over the factory wiring diagram, side-by-side with the MS wiring diagram.
There is very little I haven't sorted out yet, I'm going to try and have an adapter diagram drawn out tonight.

Only thing I can't figure how to tie in is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. What does that do on a D-90?

-Hans

Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:53 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I copied this from pirate

the speed sensor that's mounted over by the drivers side of the LT230 sends a signal to the ECU to help determine fuel load, and without it the truck will run like pure shit when accelerating or decelerating.

I don't think you need it with the MS sytem.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:10 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, thats what I was able to dig up also. The VSS regulates the Idle Air valve, which is not used in this version of MS. This means, we would have to manually adjust the idle speed (again, is this bad for us?)

HOWEVER, control of the Idle valve will be implemented with MSII. God, that website is full of great info, but is SUCH a pain in the ass.

-Hans

Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I know it is crazy ! I have some reading to do tonight, I down loaded the manual, then onto everything else on the site. I want to make this work!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Same here. Actually, IF it works I plan on using this in both my Defender and my CJ-7. So I think I'll go ahead and order the kit now and put it in the Defender. When the new and improved stuff comes out, I'll swap the OLD into the Jeep and put the NEW into the D-90.

Did you see the "MegaView"? It's a mini screen data display designed for viewing and editing everything with dash mounted controls.

These guys are amazing.
-Hans

Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Now, I just need to research the Colorado emissions program for El Paso county to see if I can get away with it.
In El Paso County you only have to pass a basic emission test (Idle only). As long as the check engine light isn't on and you pass HC and CO2, they'll never know. Plus, there's been rumblings here of completely doing away with emissions testing in El Paso County. But, you're in New York, no?

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I saw the MegaView, I couldn't belive it! It would very cool to have!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Pretty popular in Australia.

Have a read here
Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Very true, I'm still stuck in New York. BUT with any luck I'll be in the Colorado Springs vicinity in the near future, and I want to make sure I won't have to un-do anything when I get there. I've seen those El Paso grumblings about getting rid of emissions testing, but I'd bet money on them changing the laws to keep the testing rather than doing away with it.

The NY law is a bit stricter now than it used to be, they actually do a load test on a dyno! Thankfully, with the full time 4wd, I don't have to put the defender on the Dyno. They still run it all over the RPM range for the sniffer testing though and I am having a beast of a time passing this year.

I e-mailed them about ordering the kit today, going to give it a shot.

-Hans

Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:30 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Very true, I'm still stuck in New York. BUT with any luck I'll be in the Colorado Springs vicinity in the near future
Cool, good luck with the move and smog test. Give me a shout if you have any questions about the area.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok, I have made the following decision based on a few hours of tracing wiring diagrams and research.

It will be MUCH easier for us to wait for the MS-II to be released. The current MegaSquirt doesn't support the Idle Air Controller stepper motor, and we would have to rig up a solenoid to replace it. This is the EFI version of the choke. However, it appears that MS-II will support the IAC with only a couple extra jumpers added to the MS board. It's also supposed to be available very soon, and already running well in Beta. So I think I will order the MegaSquirt kit so that I can get the assembly done, but wait for the MS-II chip in order to actually install it.

I also realized that this setup will really help the Snorkle crowd. Since we will be removing the Mass Air sensor, they will finally be able to fit the air filter under the hood without all the ugly routing of the air hose. I'll probably just put a cone filter close to the passenger side air intake to make my life easier.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gas