Who makes the strogest axles? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Question Who makes the strogest axles?

I have a 95 d90 with ARBs front and rear. I have broken lots of axles. Only one in the rocks and most of them in the sand playing in the dunes 7+ lost count. i have only replaced them with junk yard axles so far. I know rover tracks and gbr make axle up grades . Is there and other companys? Anyone broken a gbr or rover tracks axle?

Thanks any info greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2005, 04:26 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I like The Rover Tracks design. THey are one piece with no drive flange stuff to deal with. Several of us on the site are running them with 35" and 36" tires and lockers. I have had no problems so far..
Old December 16th, 2005, 05:56 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

For the front, CV unlimited (www.cvunlimited.com) has a nice set for 899.00. They are 4340 Chromemolly, heat treated and Croy'd. They were thicker then my GBR's when I replaced them. The GBR's were good, I just kept breaking the CV's, which would eat the axels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 9835
I have a 95 d90 with ARBs front and rear. I have broken lots of axles. Only one in the rocks and most of them in the sand playing in the dunes 7+ lost count. i have only replaced them with junk yard axles so far. I know rover tracks and gbr make axle up grades . Is there and other companys? Anyone broken a gbr or rover tracks axle?

Thanks any info greatly appreciated.
2 1/2 ton top loader military axles with the 2in 47 spline conversion. That is the strongest. Next question?

Seriously, tire size? What do you want to do with it exactly? Do you want a band-aid or a fix?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

No bandage, what the best fix without converting diff splines. 33 inch tires built 4.2 motor d110 transferbox for the beter gear ratio and a lead foot.
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 9835
No bandage, what the best fix without converting diff splines. 33 inch tires built 4.2 motor d110 transferbox for the beter gear ratio and a lead foot.
Allright,

So the best fit for what you want is by far the Rover Tracks Toy conversion. You could cover much of it by selling your arbs and doing this right. This will hold up to 37in tires with a resonable driver or be more than you need with your 33's. The other axles are a bandaid. They will eventually break, even with 33's. If you are a reasonable driver, GBR or anybody's aftermarket axles will hold up to 33's or 35's. But if you are going to spend that much, might as well do it right. Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 17th, 2005, 04:19 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
So the best fit for what you want is by far the Rover Tracks Toy conversion. You could cover much of it by selling your arbs and doing this right. This will hold up to 37in tires with a resonable driver or be more than you need with your 33's. The other axles are a bandaid. They will eventually break, even with 33's. If you are a reasonable driver, GBR or anybody's aftermarket axles will hold up to 33's or 35's. But if you are going to spend that much, might as well do it right. Cheers
Approximately how much does it cost to "do it right"? I don't have any ability to fabricate so I would need something in pre-fabbed kit form. Does this even exist?

/
/
/
/
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

A buddy in the club did it himself. There is no prefab as you have to weld your diff and then re-drill to fit the Toy 3rd. A good local welder would be able to help. Search pirate4x4.com in the rover section for toy conversion. Took him 2 weekends to do.

Another buddy is looking at the conversion as he just grenaded his GBR CVs at Moab. He was running 35's on his disco.

The only trouble with the kit was the toy third he bought was not set up correctly and needed to be re-built and swapped out. I think he went with the ARBs for the toys as well.
Old December 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
Approximately how much does it cost to "do it right"? I don't have any ability to fabricate so I would need something in pre-fabbed kit form. Does this even exist?
If you contact Rovertracks they can tell you exactly. I don't know since I went a different direction. The way I figure it, the axles and CV's are so frekin expensive if you go with the GBR or the like that it just makes more sence to get something stronger for the money. If you upgrade the axles and stay on the rover diff thats your new fuse and thats a $1000 fuse. I have seen the Toy conversion with Bobby's do well on a heavy RR with 37's. He was a careful driver though. This way you have nothing to worry about on 33's even 35's. I would say just go with the standard if you didn't mention that you have a heavy foot. This is basically a drop in conversion with some very light fab. Tougher than just axles though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 17th, 2005, 05:50 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

There are a lot of options that you can go with regarding Toy stuff. Just the outer bits leaving the Rover thirds or do a full conversion to Toy running gear, ARBs Detroits, spools and E Lockers.
I've done about 12 "kits" so far and I have a pretty long list of guys waiting for the template. Also there are more templates on the way...
It's a DIY project for someone with a welder close by and reasonable mechanical skills... Add to that the fact that for the price of upgrading Rover diffs with ARBs and gears you can have a Toyota E locker already set up and ready to go... The E Locker works great, it's plenty strong and I would venture to say it is nearly as fast as an ARB..
What you get for your "sweat" are diffs that are much stronger (I can't say how much stronger but I frequently drive around town with the front locked just trying to break something, I wouldn't even think about doing that wit a rover type diff) and CV's that are as strong as Dana 60 stuff.. The 30 spline axle doesn't gain you a lot in strength over the 24 but you have to hook it to the CV somehow.. Plus you get better ratios... 4.11, 4.56, 4.88,5.29... And gears cost $200!!!

I am personally wondering why I am running a 35 Spline Salisbury out back now..

Keith
www.rovertracks.com

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 17th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

"I am personally wondering why I am running a 35 Spline Salisbury out back now.."

What do you mean? You are running it because it is epically stronger than a toy conversion. There I answered your question for you!!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:27 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

It is a really cool axle!
The thing is that while the the BIG Sals is a Mighty axle it's big and expensive to build.
I have run a detroited 30 spline 60 in the back of my CJ7 since 1993, in front of that axle are low gears and a lot of HP, above the axle sat a guy with a really big right foot that wanted to swap those 30 spline axles with 35's and a spool so he was always trying to break them... But I couldn't... It may be my Driving style but there really wasn't a "style" with the Jeep, just point it and use the engine..

So for the cost of one 35 spline Sals built with an ARB A guy can almost cover the cost to build both the front and rear of his rig with Toy stuff and probably never have a problem..

Of course the same could be said for building a 30 spline Sals... and a Toy front..

Old December 19th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Toy stuff? New toyota land cruiser axles? Sounds good I have all the fab stuff. Just bent the rear triangle this weekend it all needs to be replaced anyways. Let me Know were to find the parts and correct info for the best way to set it up

Thanks for the Help
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question

Quote:
For the front, CV unlimited (www.cvunlimited.com) has a nice set for 899.00.
woldd90
Sorry to ask,but where did you get that price?

Whenever I check their website out I read this:

The new newfield Axle & Joint kit for the landrover comes for the defender(SNIP)The joints and axles are made from 4340 chromoly. They are through hardened for maximum stenght. They are cryogenically stablized. The axles are larger and clip grooves eliminated. The internal parts are larger for maximum strength. The cage is made from a patented design call the dome cage. A priorty formula is used for heat treating to insure maxium strength

$1398.- Complete Kit 2-Axles, 2-Joints

This is close to the price Keith asks for a complete front axle kit IIRC

I could save some pennies as I have some spares I'd happily sacrifice for the conversion...

Ta
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:47 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Scott Give me a call... We can talk about all the options..

On a side we like to use the FJ8 Front diff and the Taco/4 runner rear diff... Both have 8" rings and are a very strong argument against changing out the entire housing..

Thanks
Keith
www.rovertracks.com

Old December 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Too many avatar dogs here!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:31 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

In spite of what my wife says I think that My Avatar dog is uglier than yours..
Meet Cookie "the ugliest Pit Bull on earth" and perhaps one of the nicest animals I have ever met, I guess we saved him from god knows what so he's grateful... My next dog will be a fine Bull Terrier much like Michele' Avatar

Old December 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
(...)My next dog will be a fine Bull Terrier much like Michele' Avatar
This is funny...think I had an American Staffordshire terrier in 1993.
It died poisoned at 14 months old...

I'm actually waiting for a bull terrier puppy from a friend who has a male,
but females are hard to find so it's going to be a long wait...

End OT...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
Scott Give me a call... We can talk about all the options..

On a side we like to use the FJ8 Front diff and the Taco/4 runner rear diff... Both have 8" rings and are a very strong argument against changing out the entire housing..

Thanks
Keith
www.rovertracks.com
Keith I talked to you today hen I was driving to L. A. ( I hate that place to much traffic). The toy conversion seems to be the best deal. I use to own a toyota and beat it up, it never broke. Can you please list the things i need to buy from toy or junk yard, and the parts and modifications that you supply. I looked at my rear axle when i got home and it is straight the upper links are something else is bent, but it is not the frame. Hope fully i can loosen everything and put it back into place , i really really dought it. But i still need the better axle upgrade. It looks like i will some rover ARB for sale soon. Thanks for the help.
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Where is Goleta? If it is near Temecula, you can come over and I can help you BFH whatever is bent out of place. (or at least help you figure out what is bent).

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
axle