Who invented the auto? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 19th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

Who invented the auto?

So, to get to the point... who invented the automobile?

I had a bar bet with a few friends, my buddy from VA said Ford invented it- typical.
My friend from France claimed the Italians invented the automobile.
I claimed it was Mercedes-Benz, but we can't come to an agreement.

I've web searched and found that it is widely agreed that a Frenchman invented a steam-powered vehicle recognized as an auto, but I don't agree. I guess deep down I just want to be right.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

As far as I'm concerned on this topic, the only two that matter are the Wilkes brothers.

Neil
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ford had the assembly line idea and mass production. Model T

Follow-up Post:

or A? I dont know
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Ford was the first to mass produce with the Model T. I think the French invented it.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Internal combustion engine automobiles were first produced in Germany by Karl Benz in 1885-1886, and Gottlieb Daimler between 1886-1889.

Karl Benz began to work on new engine patents in 1878. At first he concentrated on creating a reliable two-stroke gas engine, based on Nikolaus Otto's design of the four-stroke engine. A patent on the design by Otto had been declared void. Benz finished his engine on New Year's Eve and was granted a patent for it in 1879. Benz built his first three-wheeled automobile in 1885 and it was granted a patent in Mannheim, dated January of 1886. This was the first automobile designed and built as such, rather than a converted carriage, boat, or cart. Among other items Benz invented are the speed regulation system known also as an accelerator, ignition using sparks from a battery, the spark plug, the clutch, the gear shift, and the water radiator. He built improved versions in 1886 and 1887 and went into production in 1888: the world's first automobile production. His wife, Bertha, made significant suggestions for innovation that he included in that model. Approximately twenty-five were built before 1893, when his first four-wheeler was introduced. They were powered with four-stroke engines of his own design. Emile Roger of France, already producing Benz engines under license, now added the Benz automobile to his line of products. Because France was more open to the early automobiles, more were built and sold in France through Roger than Benz sold in Germany.

In 1886 Gottlieb Daimler fitted a horse carriage with his four-stroke engine. In 1889, he built two vehicles from scratch as automobiles, with several innovations. From 1890 to 1895 about thirty vehicles were built by Daimler and his assistant, Wilhelm Maybach, either at the Daimler works or in the Hotel Hermann, where they set up shop after falling out with their backers. Benz and Daimler, seem to have been unaware of each other's early work and worked independently. Daimler died in 1900. During the First World War, Benz suggested a co-operative effort between the two companies, but it was not until 1926 that the they united under the name of Daimler-Benz with a commitment to remain together under that name until the year 2000.

In 1890, Emile Levassor and Armand Peugeot of France began producing vehicles with Daimler engines, and so laid the foundation of the motor industry in France. They were inspired by Daimler's Stahlradwagen of 1889, which was exhibited in Paris in 1889.

The first American car with a gasoline internal combustion engine supposedly was designed in 1877 by George Baldwin Selden of Rochester, New York, who applied for a patent on an automobile in 1879. Selden did not build an automobile until 1905, when he was forced to do so, due to a lawsuit threatening the legality of his patent because the subject had never been built. After building the 1877 design in 1905, Selden received his patent and later sued the Ford Motor Company for infringing upon his patent. Henry Ford was notorious for opposing the American patent system and Selden's case against Ford went all the way to the Supreme Court, which ruled that Ford, and anyone else, was free to build automobiles without paying royalties to Selden, since automobile technology had improved so significantly since the design of Selden's patent, that no one was building according to his early designs.

In Britain there had been several attempts to build steam cars with varying degrees of success with Thomas Rickett even attempting a production run in 1860.[1] One of the major problems was the poor state of the road network. Santler from Malvern is recognised by the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain as having made the first petrol powered car in the country in 1894[2] followed by Frederick William Lanchester in 1895[2] but these were both one-offs. The first production vehicles came from the Daimler Motor Company, founded by Harry J. Lawson in 1896, and making their first cars in 1897.[2]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

Wow. Jimmy you sure know your stuff. Thanks for the reply, it gives me some justification even if the gentlemen weren't together as one company. I guess I'll claim winnership, if that's a word. Otherwise I may have "misunderestimated" my vocabulary.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat