Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 11th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
who has a newfoundland?

Hi, thinking of getting a saint or a newf, i really like the brown newfs. Any advice?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Where you at Chance?
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:00 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Newfie all the way. I posted the same questions to folks I knew that had them. I was set on a Saint until I spent time with a couple of newfies.....hands down, an awesome breed. They are large though, we're buying a bronze puppy in about 3 weeks...can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

I'm here! Yeah, they're like potato chips: you can't have just one. I've got three. Hence the 110 (I'll be damned if I'm gonna drive a Suburban!)

Glad to hear you've got a bronze coming Carey. Congrats!

I've got two Landseers (Chamonix, 11 and Boudreaux, 3) and a black (Amelie, 1.5).

My buddy has two Bronze Males (Lincoln and Truman).

Although physically suited to outdoor living, Newfies are NOT happy unless they are with people. Don't get one if you're going to relegate him or her to outside all the time. Lots of people do this because of the excessive hair and drool, and then the dog usually ends up in rescue.

What do you want to know?

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I was wondering more how they are in the house. I would never leave a dog outside. I also might bring him/her into my office so I was just wondering how they are or might be in an office and in the city. I live in a town home with a decent fenced in yard. I'm between a saint and a newf. I know they shed a lot and some drool more than others.
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:29 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

All large breed dogs need to at least walk, the more active you keep them the healthier they are. I don't know how much homework you've done on large breeds, but they can suffer from some problems like hip displacia, etc. So, keep them active. Inside, in a city atmosphere....hhhmm, you'll scare half the folks off the sidewalks that's for sure!...lol Good luck. I know there is a fellow back home with two newfie's and hair is EVERYWHERE in the house, and his wife is constantly using the vacuum...it's all in what you can tolerate. I also know he told me that his wife was a collector of knick knacks( not the inexpensive ones), and thier dogs "cleaned house", they like to eat.....mostly everything other than the dog food....but you can train them. Good luck, and please post some pics when you get one!
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks.....Yeah I used to have two golden retrievers in the office and even they would scare some people in the city. I always thought that was funny in a way. Some people used to cross the street just to avoid walking past me. I'm familiar with the large breed problems. I just can't decide between the Saint or Newf. I will post pictures when I decide, thanks. Do newfs. drool more than a GR/lab but less than a Saint, or is about the same?
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Where abouts in the city...I'm originally from Philly..(suburbs)...you could take him/her(dog) to Pat's or Gino's for a doggie treat( that's Philly cheesesteak for the rest of you), or there was this great spot on Henry Ave....Chubby's?...they used make good one's as well.

As far as the drool,...this is what I know, and anyone in the know please chime in, some Saints are advertised as "dry mouth",....don't believe it....same for newf's, I've met with over 2 dozen owners...I've been busy doing homework, and they ALL tell me the same thing, DROOL and HAIR....period. There is no escaping it....however, if someone else knows better, please step forward...as I have yet to pick up my dog as well, so I'm still gathering a load of info.
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I have heard from a lot of people that some drool like MAD <constantly> and the dry mouths drool more like a lag/retriever, but still drool.......Usually after they eat or drink water. The shedding isn't a concern at all, I have had heavy shedding dogs.

CHUBBY'S!!! What a small world. I live in the East Falls section of Philadelphia. That place is right up the road from me. I have never had a steak from there though. When I do eat my one steak a year I usually get it from Delasandros which is right across the street from them.
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:43 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
I was wondering more how they are in the house. I would never leave a dog outside. I also might bring him/her into my office so I was just wondering how they are or might be in an office and in the city. I live in a town home with a decent fenced in yard. I'm between a saint and a newf. I know they shed a lot and some drool more than others.
They're great in an office. My Wife used to own a sports training center and Boudreaux spent pretty much his entire first year there. He (as all Newfs usually are) was great with all the people and kids, plus it's great socialization for a puppy. Contrary to popular belief, Newfs actually make great apartment dogs as they act like rugs most of the time. You should be fine in the town home. All three of ours are certified therapy dogs. The two young ones visit a spinal and head injury hospital and the older one does a reading program for kids at the library. They love it and patients/kids do too.

I've seen breeders market "dry mouth" Newfs. IMO, it's all BS. I've found that the amount of drool is directly proportional to the amount that their flews (lips) droop. Hence, males usually drool more than females. Mine have really droopy lips, but really only drool when excited or there's food around. BTW, the drooping is essential for a water dog to allow water to exit their mouth as they swim.

Old June 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

My brother has 2. Chance is right, they basically are carpets when inside so wont really matter how big of a place you have. If its a small place you'll just have to get creative getting around them. The only time I see my brothers dogs move is to get on their boat, to find a new place to flop down, eat, or go outside.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
The only time I see my brothers dogs move is to get on their boat, to find a new place to flop down, eat, or go outside.
Yeah, that about sums them up!

Old June 13th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks for the advice. I will post pictures as soon as I decide which to get.

Thanks again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat