White Marlin Open 2010 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

White Marlin Open 2010

I should probably start this one off in the "sightings" thread. Stopped by WAWA b4 heading out to fish at 4:30am and wound up parking next to a white 90. What a way to start the day.

I don't know if any of you on here are into fishing, but I thought I'd share some pics from last week that my buddy took.

Couldn't follow up our 2nd place finish from last year, but we did have a decent week. We were 5 for 7 on whites. One made the tournament min on length but must have been on a diet the past few weeks. Anyway, just thought you guys might enjoy some of the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wmo1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	30000   Click image for larger version

Name:	wmo2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	30001  

Name:	wmo3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	30002   Click image for larger version

Name:	wmo4.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	30003  

Name:	wmo5.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	30004   Click image for larger version

Name:	wmo6.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	30005  

Name:	wmo7.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	30006  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

I wasn't able to make time for this year, damnit, those pics make me jealous. Where'd you fish out of?
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

We usually fish off my buddy's boat who keeps it bayside. Had some issues this year, so we had to charter a boat out of Sunset. Last year, we scored an 85# white with 10minutes left to fish on Friday and took 2nd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Love the cockpit shots. Admire teak cockpits but have been on a mission to remove all wood from my boat. I haven't done a tournament in two years. Did the shark and tuna tournaments out of the Canyon Club in Cape May for years.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:36 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I haven't rigged a Ballyhoo in years but those pics sure bring back a lot of good memories.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

took Renee'(wife) out fishing a few years back, first cast so to speak, gets a white- and the flag from fish & game for release. Almost as bad as her first dive -swimming with sea turtles...

Old August 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Nice! I'm trying to put together a day or night (prefer night) fishing trip off of OBX next week...got a house in Kill Devil Hills. Guys night will be 5-6 of us. Haven't chartered a boat yet if anyone has any recommendations for the area.
Old August 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Nice! I'm trying to put together a day or night (prefer night) fishing trip off of OBX next week...got a house in Kill Devil Hills. Guys night will be 5-6 of us. Haven't chartered a boat yet if anyone has any recommendations for the area.
Hard to go wrong with any of the boats out of Oregon Inlet since the Gulf Stream is so close to shore. Not sure you will be able to get a night charter though- its not like over nighting on the Hudson Canyon for tuna. We caught 8 tuna, 15 mahi/dolphin, and a sail fish, last time we went out of Oregon and that was a "slow" day.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Perfect. Thanks Doug.
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Ive been out of the oregon inlet fishing center a number of times. Id recommend the Smoker or Carolinian. Brynner- captain of the Smoker- is top notch and everyone there would say so too. If he is booked, the Carolinian is another boat run by a legend- Tony Tillet. His family has been building the carolina hull style sport fishers for decades. Its not just the captains- their first mates are great too.
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

I'm guessing the Smoker is the purple hulled boat that I see at the open? If so, I think they just placed in the mahi division last week.
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:50 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

I was on it like 2 months ago. Brynner painted it carolina blue because his daughter will be a freshman at UNC. He might have switched it back, and I know he charters it for tournaments. Theres a lot of money in some of these big sportfishing tournaments.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

Here are the tournament results from last week. Some very nice fish caught this year...
http://www.whitemarlinopen.com/
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:54 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
I should probably start this one off in the "sightings" thread. Stopped by WAWA b4 heading out to fish at 4:30am and wound up parking next to a white 90. What a way to start the day.

I don't know if any of you on here are into fishing, but I thought I'd share some pics from last week that my buddy took.

Couldn't follow up our 2nd place finish from last year, but we did have a decent week. We were 5 for 7 on whites. One made the tournament min on length but must have been on a diet the past few weeks. Anyway, just thought you guys might enjoy some of the pics...
Looks like you fella's got yourselves a real nice boat to fish on, judging from the bridge shots and beam I'd say maybe a 54?. Ahh memories.....
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

It was a 58' F&S. She could scoot, too.
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

I was just in Duck in July and we chartered out of Oregon inlet as well. The buddy that set it up does two trips a year. Informed me that most of the boats are going to do about the same they all talk all day and relay info. We went with Full Draw. Guy was really good. Was a slow day but he worked hard and we stayed out late since we got activity late. Couple of Tuna and wahoo's... Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat