White D90 spotted in Wichita, KS - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245
White D90 spotted in Wichita, KS

So, I'm getting my D90 from Boulder on Jan 6th, and I'm really stoked. My wife has yet to see one in person, as there are only a few in St. Louis that i know of. So we are in Wichita, KS right now visiting my wifes family, we were driving down Maize in Wichita, mind you we are in the middle of a Blizzard, I look out my window and there is a white D90, I said to my wife NO WAY there's a D90, she looked, and really liked what she saw. It made here a little excited about what we are going to have in a few weeks.
I'm still a little nervous about this whole oil cooler line. I'm picking my D90 up from a dealership, I'm really hoping they have already installed new ones, I'll find out on Monday, but if not, it makes me nervous because I've got a long drive back to STL from Boulder.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Gore Ranger
1989 RRC
you can just take them off or have the dealer take them off for the drive back.

PS On recommendation from another Boulder member here, I had mine rebuilt at Elan Motorsports in Boulder. It was about $150 I think for braided stainless lines in place of the rubber part. That is another option. They have done at least 2 sets of d90 oil cooler lines that I know of. Since the truck is already there, maybe get them to perform this service for you (on their dime?)

Old December 22nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Welcome to the club... You will love the truck.

Why don't you post a note to the Bolder guys, get in a day early and see if you can meet up with them and grab a beer. They can walk you through all the details of the truck that you may need to know as well as what tools to bring with you for your trip back.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
jim pendleton
We have about a dozen of them in my area. I see them all from time to time.

legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 07:34 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor

Sorry to get off topic, but all this talk of Boulder, CO makes me miss my Alma Matter and more importantly, SNOW!!!!
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover

Wolf Fabrication
Semper Fi!
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
Kenny, if you are pressed for time and don't think you can get the lines replaced before you go, all you need to take are 2 things to mitigate the risk of a cool line problem.

1. Heat wrap tape. Wrap the lines before you leave. This will limit the chance of a problem, but more importantly stop oil spraying onto your manifold if it does develop a leak.

2. A fire extinguisher in case #1 doesn't help. Do a practice drop to neutral, shutoff, pullover, pop the hood, grab extinguisher, jump out and open the hood drill a few times. Maybe ask your wife to shriek hysterically while to practice to make it realistic. It's amazing how quickly you can do this if prepared and calm (I had to do it and avoided any serious damage).

Or just remove them and plug the radiator holes. Not sure I like this one, so make sure your cooling system is up to snuff if you go this route.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:06 AM
94 ST
Just to add to what Charles said about the fire extinguisher:

Originally Posted by KevinNY
ABC chemicals are highly reactive and will destroy a lot of your truck while you try to save it, consider a halotron extinguisher. They are filled with recycled halon and leave no residue.
Originally Posted by Firefighter2904
Kevin is absolutely correct. If you get an ABC extinguisher and fire it off in the engine compartment, prerpare to have your whole wiring harness be junk. The dry chem will destory all rubber bits as well as wiring. Definetly consider a halon extinguisher. A bit more money but definetly worth it!.

"It insists upon itself" Family Guy
"Your Defender insists upon itself" Dave Parker

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

90, d90