Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:16 PM
DD90
DD
94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
A raised air intake does not make a V8 waterproof, ignition is more likely to get you.
Not if you have a diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2009, 09:48 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

And people would know you do how?
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Hydralic winchs are nice for drill rigs and log skidders, what you going to do when your truck inhales some water and wont start?
how long do you think the electric winch under load is going to last without the engine running ?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD90
Not if you have a diesel
only way to go

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:47 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

[QUOTE=Maryland 110]how long do you think the electric winch under load is going to last without the engine running ?

QUOTE]

1 pull vs. 0
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
[QUOTE=KevinNY]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
how long do you think the electric winch under load is going to last without the engine running ?

QUOTE]

1 pull vs. 0
Yeah- I wanted a hydrolic winch bad years ago but when I saw how slow the retrieves are on most of them
and how fast some of the electrics are I went with a warn. I have had mine and my brothers completely apart a couple of times. Mine is on its second motor. No model is infalable especially when you regularly submerge the whole thing in mud slurry like I have. I lust after the worm drive Husky's. if anyone has a cheap old warn in need of rebuild I need one for my car trailer.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
I think the avatar has my old setup with an 8274. Here is the new setup.
Looks nice. Thanks.
Old November 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

bang for the buck, the Superwinch 9 series. Downside is parts are more $$$.

next $$$ jump up, the Warn 9000xi fast line speed.

cost no object, the 8274.
Old November 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
DD90
DD
94 D90

The hydro winches from the UK pull as fast or faster than most of the electrics. The MM hydro winches in the US are horribly slow. The UK winches are "tuned" for speed with special valving, etc., that they are used in competition. They pull all day long but as pointed out are useless if the rig is off.

I think if you account for "real world" experiences and likelihood of when and where you would need a winch the hydro winches are best. They are also very $$ for the proper set up, ie UK speed.
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Would it be fair to say that with the engine powering the winch compressor/pump, it puts a load on the engine even when not in use?.
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Anyone running hydraulic winches with pump running from PTO from transfer case??
I have a Fairey PTO winch on my truck.
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
The hydro winches from the UK pull as fast or faster than most of the electrics. The MM hydro winches in the US are horribly slow. The UK winches are "tuned" for speed with special valving, etc., that they are used in competition. They pull all day long but as pointed out are useless if the rig is off.

I think if you account for "real world" experiences and likelihood of when and where you would need a winch the hydro winches are best. They are also very $$ for the proper set up, ie UK speed.
Most of that comes from the pumps used, not necessarily the winch. A stock power steering pump on a defender just doesn't have the pressure or volume to drive a hydraulic motor very well. IIRC it's 800psi at 1gpm. Stock pumps from other trucks are better, but still barely enough to power the motor on the winch. In all, driving off the stock PS pump just stinks.

Mine came with a milemarker hydraulic on it, and is terribly slow with the stock 1gpm pump, and the 800-900psi pressure also limits the capacity. I've been looking at other options for a while now. The PTO pumps looked great, but the manufacturer has gone under. The "ZF74" pumps offered in the UK are apparently stock units used in some VW's, but I haven't been able to find out which specific pump they are to find the stats. Pricey too, especially at the current exchange rate between the Dollar and Pound.

Right now I'm eyeballing the KRC power steering pumps as a possible choice as a dedicated pump for the winch. Their aluminum pumps are rated for 9000rpm and a flow rate of anywhere from 1.5gpm up to 3.7gpm You can also order them with a 1450psi valving which is right where the winch wants it. Their cast iron pumps are rated at 5500rpm with the same flow rates. I plan on ordering one in the spring, and also rebuilding the winch (not well cared for by the previous owner). I just have to figure out the mounting for the pump.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Would it be fair to say that with the engine powering the winch compressor/pump, it puts a load on the engine even when not in use?.
No, it only loads the engine when you are actually using the winch. When the winch isn't engaged, the fluid openly circulates through the system at no pressure.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
I have a Fairey PTO winch on my truck.
Sell it to me!!!!! I have been trying to buy one of them for a year (or the newer Superwinch 14k PTO one).

That is the winch to have. Any chance you could get some close up pics of the driveshafts and PTO and bumper?
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:03 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Sell it to me!!!!! I have been trying to buy one of them for a year (or the newer Superwinch 14k PTO one).

That is the winch to have. Any chance you could get some close up pics of the driveshafts and PTO and bumper?
I think I have some pictures on my home computer of the linkage, I take a look.
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

WARN 8274 for sale

Here's an 8274 for sale on Craigslist...$400 CDN looks rough to me. Is it really worth that much?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...437664588.html

There's links to images and a video in the ad.
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:10 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Hans you are correct. The "power" and speed of the winch is more proportional to the pump running the winch rather than the winch itself. Also, correct that most of the PS pumps are inadequate to run the winch in what most people would consider acceptable.

BUT, the PTO pumps are very powerful and herein lies the difference. Alfred Murray was one of the originators of one of the more popular pumps. I think he went out of business or sold his business. Now these pumps ARE available. Allan Byrne is one of the guys at http://www.4x4winches.com/ and is very helpful.

The site goes through the pros and cons of electric versus hydraulic (I don't mean this to start a flame war of one versus the other). It does have a lot of interesting information.

Here is another site http://www.roverworld.com/verricello_idraulico.htm that goes through a detailed installation of the PTO on a D90. This site also sells and upgraded version of a PS pump which can run the winch more than fast enough.

The PTO pumps are $$ and I did buy one and have had it installed but have not been able to use it yet. I can post some pictures of the install if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps.
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Thanks Kevin!

Ron
Old November 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Tough to say. I just paid $625 for one that looked in great shape and in general is, but because it sat for years it started rusting inside so it needs a good cleaning. The brake assembly is stuck on so I don't know whats going to be needed but so far mine looks like it will be an easy rebuild and be worth it even if I have to spend a bit more on rebuild parts.

Your looks like you'll need some wiring and a controller, but given it's running and sounds pretty smooth, the resot of it may be sound and just needs a cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN90
Here's an 8274 for sale on Craigslist...$400 CDN looks rough to me. Is it really worth that much?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...437664588.html

There's links to images and a video in the ad.
Old November 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo
Hans you are correct. The "power" and speed of the winch is more proportional to the pump running the winch rather than the winch itself. Also, correct that most of the PS pumps are inadequate to run the winch in what most people would consider acceptable.

BUT, the PTO pumps are very powerful and herein lies the difference. Alfred Murray was one of the originators of one of the more popular pumps. I think he went out of business or sold his business. Now these pumps ARE available. Allan Byrne is one of the guys at http://www.4x4winches.com/ and is very helpful.

The site goes through the pros and cons of electric versus hydraulic (I don't mean this to start a flame war of one versus the other). It does have a lot of interesting information.

Here is another site http://www.roverworld.com/verricello_idraulico.htm that goes through a detailed installation of the PTO on a D90. This site also sells and upgraded version of a PS pump which can run the winch more than fast enough.

The PTO pumps are $$ and I did buy one and have had it installed but have not been able to use it yet. I can post some pictures of the install if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps.
The only 2 things that hold me off from a PTO unit are the much longer fluid lines, and that you need to have the transmission in a forward gear to run it. Sure, they are more powerful, but an engine driven pump you don't have to worry about engaging and you don't have to worry about destroying it if you run it in reverse.

I thought that Maxi-Drive went under though, and that's who was supplying the PTO's to 4x4winches.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Thanks Kevin!

Ron

I'm at the fire station until tomorrow, I will look them up when I get home.

Kevin
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Just as a followup on this I just got my brake assembly apart which I believe is the worst case scenario cost wise other than the electrics side which I can't comment on. Mine was all seized up so I had to drift out the shaft and then press the brake discs off using my press. PITA but done. The rebuild kit for the brakes costs $73.62 and a lower end rebuild kit costs $25.13 (best price I could find from www.streetsideauto.com includes free shipping) and will cover everything I need to do my rebuild outside of cleaning consumables, paint and I need two of those large square nuts that are used to mount it.

So i'm up to about $725 excluding about $15 to overnight some money to finaggle free shipping by a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Tough to say. I just paid $625 for one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
winch