Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 26th, 2015, 11:55 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Which top?

I need a full soft top for my '95NAS and I don't have time to cue up for a Badger. I like fabric door seals for the ease of installation and I can't decide between the two Rommel has for sale as the prices are the same. The Bestop is new and the RN is "as new." I have never seen either. I usually only use my Bestop Surrey over a Badger drop curtain and tonneau. So I'm used to Bestop vinyl and its durability. It's not pretty, but for what it is, and the relatively inexpensive price, it's good enough. Does that sentiment translate to the full top by Bestop? Opinions?

Or should I go with the "as new" RN top for the same price? Aren't these the design that Chris Laws used to make for RN before forming Badger Coachworks? It's essentially a predecessor to the Badger I FDS, right? Twill fast is nice but is it durable or does it require real upkeep? My badger products are all the Sonnenland Anghracite so I can't gauge if they are the same. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. - Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2015, 01:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
The RN will be closest to the Badger FDS model I believe.
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:50 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Haartz Corp offers several varieties of Twillfast. Talking to Chris, over the years, not all Badger tops used the same one. Some better than the others. Thinking it was availability then price which determined which was purchased for that run of tops. Find out what Twillfast was use for the RN top. You can check out the specs and identifying information here:
Twillfast® | Haartz Corporation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Or should I go with the "as new" RN top for the same price? Aren't these the design that Chris Laws used to make for RN before forming Badger Coachworks? It's essentially a predecessor to the Badger I FDS, right? Twill fast is nice but is it durable or does it require real upkeep? My badger products are all the Sonnenland Anghracite so I can't gauge if they are the same. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. - Dave

Dave:

Lets get something straight. Badger Coachworks existed a long time before he agreed to make some tops for RN. RN then took/borrowed/imitated/stole his design and found a third party to make it.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:12 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Haartz Corp offers several varieties of Twillfast. Talking to Chris, over the years, not all Badger tops used the same one. Some better than the others. Thinking it was availability then price which determined which was purchased for that run of tops. Find out what Twillfast was use for the RN top. You can check out the specs and identifying information here: Twillfast® | Haartz Corporation
Great insight and info. I'll check on it. Thank you.
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
ahhemm Chris... I feel like we've been over this before. We did not steal anything, Chris was at RN designing the top with us that he was to make for us under the "Rovers North by Badger Coachworks" label.

When he could not provide the amount we had on order(no surprise there) we had to find another supplier(still in the US)
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Dave: Lets get something straight. Badger Coachworks existed a long time before he agreed to make some tops for RN. RN then took/borrowed/imitated/stole his design and found a third party to make it.
Ok. Didn't mean to open up a can of worms here. I knew he had made tops for RN, and I knew that they continue to use the design. I just thought that he had designed them for RN and had made them there until he went independent. I simply got the order wrong and wasn't implying that Chris' tops weren't anything but original and fantastic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat