Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Which is safer?

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I have sold anything but I have a potential buyer for my RRC. With all the scams going on I would like to avoid all possible trouble. The buyer is from out of state and wants to send me payment, sight unseen, no counter offers, and didn't really ask a lot of questions. Which is safer? Cashier's check or money order? I thought I read somewhere that a cashier's check can be faked. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2011, 09:42 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Wire transfer

Old September 20th, 2011, 09:45 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon View Post
Wire transfer
Really? Should I give him my checking account number? I thought I was supposed to protect that like my ss#.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

You could have your bank open a savings account with a Min balance then wire it there. Or have him send a bank check and have your bank verify it by calling the other bank.
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Either a cashier's check or a money order can be faked. Just make sure not to release the vehicle until your bank confirms the money is in your account. Same for a wire transfer.

Your bank routing number and your account number are on the bottom of every check you write so that's not really an issue.

The facts about the buyer (out of state, sight unseen, full price) are enough to make me tread very carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I have sold anything but I have a potential buyer for my RRC. With all the scams going on I would like to avoid all possible trouble. The buyer is from out of state and wants to send me payment, sight unseen, no counter offers, and didn't really ask a lot of questions. Which is safer? Cashier's check or money order? I thought I read somewhere that a cashier's check can be faked. Thanks!
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter View Post
.....The facts about the buyer (out of state, sight unseen, full price) are enough to make me tread very carefully.
Yeah, he says he's deaf so can't talk on the phone and wants it by next week. Says he'll have his transporter come inspect the truck for him. Who has a personal transporter/inspector at their disposal? Sounds too fishy to me.

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:20 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Haha walk away, or request a webcame talk...

------ Follow up post added September 20th, 2011 10:21 AM ------

Is this that dude from Ohio, or is his name Samumba?
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Wire transfer or cash. If cash get one of those pens that detect counterfeit bills.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

I hate to assume that deaf people don't buy shit, but I've had a similar sounding experience with someone who claimed to be deaf. In this scam, he used a phone company intermediary to speak from the teletype machine. Turns out these people can only repeat what's typed, they can't interject anything like, "it's a scam."

He was trying to buy a bunch of bicycles. He provided a FedEx number and everything. The scam fell apart when Fedex got involved and said the number he gave was bogus, very quickly his payment unravelled, turned out to be a scam. He quickly disappeared into the woodwork.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:16 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Get an address where to send the title. See if he gives you the Boston Federal Building's address or something like that instead.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

One way to protect yourself is to hold either the vehicle or the title until the funds are verified. I recently had an experience where I paid for a vehicle with a cashiers check. Unfortunately I didn't have the full name of the seller so the bank teller suggested making it out to myself and simply endorsing it. The problem is, as I found out, is that some banks will not accept an endorsed cashiers check. So make sure whatever payment you get is valid at your bank.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:40 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Hold the vehicle and title until the funds clear. And by "clear" you must talk to your bank manager about that definition because it differs by bank, not the teller drones who bear no risk.

Holding the title is like holding the guy's balls in a vise. Do not write the buyer information or alter it in any way until the payment clears.
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:30 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

As Gary says your routing and check acc number plus your name is on every check. I had a wire transfer for mine, two hours after he wired the bank confirmed the transfer, once its in your acc only you can withdraw

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon View Post
As Gary says your routing and check acc number plus your name is on every check. I had a wire transfer for mine, two hours after he wired the bank confirmed the transfer, once its in your acc only you can withdraw

Not quite correct

Someone can send to your bank a debit request for xyz amount, catching it depends on how often you check your online banking, or more importantly how is your Account Relationship set up at the bank.

My bank will call me with any debit request over $ 500.00 if from a bonafide institution ( like PayPal ) and for any amount if it is a Wire Request / Personal or overseas

the recommendation to open a secondary account is the best, I conduct all my wiring and transfers ( inbound and outbound ) to unknown ( to me ) people / institutions / overseas from a ZBA account.
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Am I over thinking this? Isn't it usually the other way around? Someone trying to get you to send them money for a truck that doesn't really exist? I mean he is trying to send me money. Is this a new kind of scam? A reverse scam to get your info? Something just didn't seem right. The guy didn't even ask for the vin.

------ Follow up post added September 20th, 2011 04:37 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Haha walk away, or request a webcame talk...

------ Follow up post added September 20th, 2011 10:21 AM ------

Is this that dude from Ohio, or is his name Samumba?
No Not Samumba or someone in the military or going through Ebay motors etc. He is the dude I asked about from Ohio--Edward Hilton. I was hoping he was a LR enthusiast like us and someone here can vouch for him.

Old September 20th, 2011, 04:44 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
No Not Samumba or someone in the military or going through Ebay motors etc. He is the dude I asked about from Ohio--Edward Hilton. I was hoping he was a LR enthusiast like us and someone here can vouch for him.
Well if he's deaf, then he very well may have owned a D90 ST at one point.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

If you're worried about it, it's probably a scam.

I'm amazed by how many idiots we have in this country, let alone the world. Out of the last 10 vehicles I've inquired about or others had contacted me about, 2 were from scammers. This was from a variety of online resources such as eBay, Craigslist, and Autotrader. Unbelievable. We allow these morons to continue preying on hard-working folks because we are too scared to do anything.

We are truly the land of the free. Free to be complete idiots. /off the soapbox/
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Scam
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Sounds like the check will be no good and the truck will be gone. I know of a board member who recently bought a 90. Sent a check and the truck was sent to him. A few weeks after the truck was in his possession the original owner said he wasn't sending the title, never cashed the check and missed the truck so please send it back.

Weird crap happens. He shipped it back.
Old September 20th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
If no other indicators tipped this off, then the fact that someone buying our vehicle has to have it right away would alone be cause for concern with me. it's typical for fraudsters to want to pull a fast one before you have time to figure it out. Any legitimate buyer would have no issues with waiting for payment to clear before shipping. Even if the money posts it may be an identity theft.

I've been defrauded before and it is amaze how creative they can be in avoiding direct contact and expediting a transaction. My fraud involved a western union money order, so that is like a painful buzzword for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat