Which Badger top do you like and why - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Which Badger top do you like and why

I am looking into getting a new top for the 95 d90. I like the Badger I and III. Not into the rollup windows on the II. I know they are excellent quality so don't need to hear that, just wondering how good the door seals are or if I am better of with the III. In the summer I want to run the Bimini top and the tonneau over the back, but winter I was thinking of the full top. Let me know your experiences thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
truck cab, what color is your truck?

I saw a white 110 in town had a snorkle mounted in the Tdi fashion have you see it around Wilmington?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

I have the Badger II so you won't care about my opinions there. But the single piece door seals are terrific. ZERO leaks with my BII. Worth the money and the wait. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0715.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	5703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badger1.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	5704  

Name:	TellicoApril2005watercrossing.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	5705  
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
truck cab, what color is your truck?

I saw a white 110 in town had a snorkle mounted in the Tdi fashion have you see it around Wilmington?
truck is red. Haven't seen the truck I need to change my info I moved to st. louis in Febuary. There was a tdi on bald head but I think it was red. Could be one of tidewaters trucks if I had to bet. they had a white and a yellow camel trophy.

I have the Badger II so you won't care about my opinions there. But the single piece door seals are terrific. ZERO leaks with my BII. Worth the money and the wait. Good luck

the badger II looked intrigueing just not sure about leaving it rolled, up I was afraid they would get torn up on a trail, not to mention water and sun damage if left rolled.
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward

That tan top looks nice - looks good with the white. Can't say I'm crazy about the light gray tops from Badger, too much like a Jeep. But with the right paint color, the tan reminds me of older Series color combos.
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

color choices

Ron,

The top looks great. I grabbed the photos for my customer files.

The silver grey tops are not a popular color choice. Black is the most popular choice followed by Porsche Anthracite and Tan.
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:30 PM
DrewC
Drew Ciora

Aaron,

I just orderd the Badger II with the gutter kit for my '95. Went with black because I have a yellow D90. Something to consider, it is my understanding that the gutter kit (that you can also get from Badger) does not work with the Badger III. Even if you don't plan on ordering the gutter kit now, it is a nice option for later.

Drew
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:51 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Chris, the top is, well, TOPS in my book. I was at MAR and some guy rides by me and says "Hey, nice top!" So I say "Hey, thanks, you must be Chris" and he said "Nope, but I made your top for you"

Never got his name, but the damn top is sublime. Total 100% quality and the fit is perfect.

The rolling up of the sides does cause some scratches on the "glass" where it rubs against itself. Not sure there's a cure for that and I wouldn't trade them for the zip out windows (what to do with them when on the trail?). You tuck the front and rear window "rolls" when they are rolled up under the front door frames and rear roll cage to protect from getting snagged on stuff on the trail. I've been to Tellico 4 times since getting the top and it's taken all the tree branch punishment I can give it.

Three cheers for Badger!!

Follow-up Post:

Here's some shots of the LR door trim and canvas tilt frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TellicoApril 2005.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	5710   Click image for larger version

Name:	109-0905_IMG.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	5711  

Name:	109-0906_IMG.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	5712   Click image for larger version

Name:	109-0907_IMG.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	5713  

Name:	109-0908_IMG.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	5714  
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Just my $.02

I also have a Badger II. I don't think that the potential damage from leaving the sides rolled up is all that different than what you would experience with any other top. Yes, there is an area where there are some horizontal scratches toward the top of the side windows where the windows rub when rolled.

Big deal.

Any plastic window will eventuall collect a lot of scratches. If you don't use the window storage bag with a B-I or B-III they will scratch even faster (assuming some moron doesn't steal them out of the back of your truck first). The main difference between the B-I, B-II, and B-III windows is that to replace the windows on the B-II you need to send the whole top out to have replacenemt windows sewn in as opposed to just ordering replacement zip-in panels.

That being said, I used to use what is now the Badger III (mine was from Rovers North, before they stopped sourcing their tops from Badger). It is a good top. It did a great job of keeping me dry. I was very happy with it until I saw a Badger II. The roll up sides not only solved the problem of what to do with the windows when you didn't want them, but it also eliminated the need for a separate Surrey top. The B-III also gives a Defender more of a Series look, and if Land Rover hadn't changed their naming scheme a Defender would be a Series-IV.....

The other advantage of the B-II is that I can have all sides rolled down and secured in about the same time that it took me to zip in and secure one side window on the B-III.

OK, so I am a Badger-II enthusiast. I think that, for my personal requirements, it is the best solution available. I think that you should give it a second look, It might meet yours as well.

In the end, whatever Badger product you choose you should be happy. Chris does great work. The tops look great and they work. The factory tops are garbage in comparison.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:03 AM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Ron,

That was Peter that saw you at the event. He takes a lot of pride in our products. I am very pleased with the level of his work and enthusiasm. He was driving his Tdi 90 with a Badger 3/4 canvas top (no side windows), and was there most of the weekend. I was there as well, but only for 24 hours because of the weather. I wandered around the top field and tent chating with customers and old friends. The drive back was a PITA because of mechanical issues. I have installed a LT77 gearbox in my 1964 Swb (Badger) and can now look forward to long trips again.

It's great to hear how you like your top, and also tell others how it does on the trails.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:50 AM
BeachBum
Paul Schuetz
1991 Range Rover

Iīm thinking of the same switch, but for some reason I canīt seem to get the site to come up. Does the moonroof come out? And also can you order the BII with tinted windows instead of clear? The central valley of Ca get into triple digits for months at a time so the ac is used all summer long until I get to the beachhouse on the weekends anymore.

Thanks, Paul
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:30 AM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Mark,

Great explanation of the Bad II. How are the door tops doing?

Paul,

Send an email to me with your mailing address.

info@badgercoachworks.com
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Regarding the scratches on the windows, here are some tricks I learned from back in my Jeep days. Perhaps Chris might offer some ideas as well.

To clean the windows (which can cause a lot of scratching), spray off all mud, dust, and whatever with a good water soaking. Get a can of Pledge - the furniture polish/cleaner - and coat the windows nicely. When you wipe this down, it removes all the dirt without causing more scratches. Obviously, clean off with water all surfaces once done.

Once clean, Meguires has a plastic polish designed to remove hairline scratches on plastic windows, clear trim, gauges, etc. Between the Pledge and the Meguires, you would be amazed at what can be removed. Years of scratches and build-up from rolling up windows will be taken off.
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
Nice D90 Ron. I really like the top too!

DJ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
badger