Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Where to stay in D.C. advice?

I will be taking my wife and our two daughters (3 and 8mo.) to visit our nations capitol and would be interested in any advice anyone might have. We aim to stay for two nights midweek and see the monuments and such but will mainly be going to the Smithsonian. Does anyone have suggestions within 10+/- miles of a family friendly and affordable hotel. Or any advice of where to park when in D.C., or any other spots to visit on our way from CT. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
While no specific hotel advice, pick something near a Metro stop so you can avoid driving in and around DC. Crystal City (part of Arlington, VA) would be my choice, plenty of good restaurants near by, a mall, and a Metro stop away from the airport, and a few stops away from DC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
While it isn't the fanciest hotel, there is a Holiday Inn on the next block over from my office. It's reasonably priced and servicable. It is right at the L'Enfant Plaza Metro stop, steps away from Air and Space, American Indian, Hirshorn National Gallery,blah blah blah. There are food trucks, a pizza joint, a Mickey D's, and an eatery right next door as well as a shopping mall of sorts at L'Enfant Plaza. Parking is dismal. Leave your car at the hotel and use the Metro, the Tourmobile bus, the double decker bus, the Segway rental...oh and there's a bikeshare rack about 100 feet away from the hotel lobby so you could rent bikes and toddle around that way. Not the most exciting part of town, but you can get to those places easily enough. If you are doing just the museums, Cap, and the monuments, it is probably one of the best locations for that. Zoo will be a short Metro ride away.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

When are you coming?
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:45 PM
dmb
Darren Braude
97 black ST Def 90

def hit national zoo (free and at metro stop Cleveland Park). the Cleveland sports bar and grill is kid friendly and great food, Plan on visiting/shopping/walking/eating/Gtown Univ campus in Georgetown and while there i would recommend eating anywhere at the washington harbor (k street). They also have cool waterboat hour long monument tours. Agree with above re metro (subway) everywhere, although its nothing like parking in NY. Another cool areas to visit is Adams Morgan (very ethnic restaurants) but don't go there on a weekend night with the kids. It;s a party area.. Lots to see. Pick a few things and Enjoy/Have fun.
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:18 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My advice....come around 6/21 so you can drag your family to the glorious dive bar that is Kilroys for the NOVA Happy Hour! Or any 3rd Thursday for that matter.

Check out the DC Duck Tours and the zoo as many mentioned (we were there last week). With the zoo keep in mind early am or evening is best....the animals hide out in the heat of the day so getting there at 2pm isn't the best idea.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 13th, 2012, 07:51 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Chris,

We are having our HH next week.

Take a couple of hours off and come join us at HH.

Pedro
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:55 AM
broadstone
Chris

Registry
Wow, I am so glad I posted this. Finding out so much more than just looking on line. My wife has found the Westin Arlington gateway in Crystal city. We think its going to be July 5-8 that we will be heading down. We were quite surprised how cheap this time was for a four star hotel. The tips you guys provided will make planning our schedule a lot easier. I really appreciate the advice and look foreward to hearing more. I do not know if I would time it right for a meetup but that would be great.

Perhaps there should be a area on the forum dedicated to destinations. That way locations, attractions and the like can be discussed and advice offered. I saw others post similar, and the advice offered by the members always seems helpful.
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
It's cheap because it is so frigging hot and humid!!! Enjoy the trip. If you have time the Udvar Hagy (sp?) national aerospace museum at Dulles Airport is a must see.
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I think the Westin is on Glebe Rd in Ballston, not crystal city -- If it's the one I"m thinking of it's a nice place, plenty of good restaurants within a few blocks and very convenient to the metro. Zoo is great, udvar hazy is a must see, Botanic Gardens are great. Obviously all of the smithsonian museums. Old Town Alexandria is a fun afternoon. For the kids, there are some great playgrounds and waterparks nearby along with some really good nature trails, happy to share those with you as well.
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Much like the Udvar Hazy annex of the Air-Space Museum that Craig mentioned (which I like better than the one on the mall quite frankly) if you want another somewhat local place that doesn't require sitting in the metro and sweltering around DC on foot consider the Marine Corps Museum just outside Quantico Marine Corps Base.

I'm biased of course, but it is a damn good setup. With just a couple of nights in DC you may not have the time, but its worth throwing out there.
r-
Ray
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM
broadstone
Chris

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
I think the Westin is on Glebe Rd in Ballston, not crystal city -- If it's the one I"m thinking of it's a nice place, plenty of good restaurants within a few blocks and very convenient to the metro. Zoo is great, udvar hazy is a must see, Botanic Gardens are great. Obviously all of the smithsonian museums. Old Town Alexandria is a fun afternoon. For the kids, there are some great playgrounds and waterparks nearby along with some really good nature trails, happy to share those with you as well.
You are correct. It is the one you are thinking of in Ballston and not Crystal city, I was mistaken. Glad to hear that it is a convenient location to all that we would be visiting. I am sure we would be visiting a playground or two if you know any nearby. I find these posts very helpful and I can explain to my wife how the site is not just Land Rover talk.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/c...playground.htm This place is, without a doubt, the best playground on earth. It's maybe 20 minutes from your hotel and if your kids don't leave there ready for a nap, I don't know what will tire them out.
http://www.arlingtonva.us/department...ongbranch.aspx This is maybe 5 minutes from the hotel. It's a great little nature center but the trails around it are beautiful, great place for a walk with the kids and a picnic. You won't believe you're in the middle of arlington.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/sp...k,1231881.html this is a neat set of fountains in crystal city -- great place to take the kids and grab lunch or a frozen yogurt nearby. 10 minutes from the hotel.
http://www.nvrpa.org/park/upton_hill this is a really big traditional water park with some trails and I think a playground that's also nearby. It gets VERY crowded on hot weekend days, but if you go during the week you should be OK.

Other fun stuff to do with the kids would be to take the water taxi from Old Town Alexandria to National Harbor: http://www.potomacriverboatco.com/national-harbor.php Udvar Hazy as mentioned earlier is VERY child friendly (though bizarely you're not allowed to carry your kids on your shoulders). And if you just need a regular old playground to burn off some energy that's close to the hotel, our local elementary shool is about 5 minutes down Glebe from your hotel, has a big field and playground and has easy parking: http://www.apsva.us/Domain/767 also, a block away fromt that playground are some great child friendly restaurants such as lost dog cafe: http://lostdogcafe.com/arlington-south/ who has great pizza, sandwiches and (importantly for Dads) a huge beer selection. There's a great Thai restaurant called Rincome across down the block (looks terrible from the exterior but has fantastic food and is very child friendly) http://www.rincomethai.com/

We live just down Glebe from your hotel and have a 3 year old and 1 year old, so we know most of the places we both can and should go to with them. If you need some other reccomendations, more than happy to help. Direct email is brooks.anthony at gmail.

Tony
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
broadstone
Chris

Registry
Tony, That is all great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to do that for us and providing links, much appreciated.
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
broadstone
Chris

Registry
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice from those in the D.C. area. We were so impressed with Arlington and the D.C. area. We would recommend anyone going if they ever get the chance. Very powerfull and impacting to see all of the monuments. Although it was record breaking heat for the time we were there (105 deg.) it was worth it. One cool thing was my 3 year old was photographed by the associated press playing under a sprinkler they set up in front of the Lincoln Memorial. We found it online (shown below) and discovered that the photo was in over 30 newspapers across the country.. If anyone In the D.C. area has a copy of the Washington post from Sun. July 8th with the picture we would truly appreciate you saving it for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heat-waveW.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	53993  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat